Like Icarus ascending On beautiful foolish arms - Special Hobby 1/72 Lockheed Vega 5

Now this is one that I've been looking at for quite some time.

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased it and it arrived a couple of days ago.

So, I thought I'd better get on with it.

iwDu8Uh.jpg

fry09jF.jpg

272axFe.jpg

NqqfT1U.jpg

3b4eQWG.jpg

vIQetuo.jpg

82Zn15b.jpg

lFcoRID.jpg

eM21tgR.jpg

That's it for tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Dr. Quack said:

Nice choice of subject Alistair.

And nice to see Joni Mitchell getting a look-in too.

Watching this.

Q

Thanks Q,

Joni seemed to fit this one rather well and as she is one of my favourite songer singwriters  I just had to use the quote.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

This one is a lovely little kit.  I just finished building it myself as part of this weekend's Blitzbuild.  IT went together really well.  I needed a bit of filler around the fuselage seams, but there's not much detail in the area so it can be sanded back very easily.  That said, make sure not to sand off the two faint raised areas on the underside that will indicate where the landing gear attachments go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beggsy said:

This one is a lovely little kit.  I just finished building it myself as part of this weekend's Blitzbuild.  IT went together really well.  I needed a bit of filler around the fuselage seams, but there's not much detail in the area so it can be sanded back very easily.  That said, make sure not to sand off the two faint raised areas on the underside that will indicate where the landing gear attachments go.

Thanks for the link I'll be sure to refer to it for help.

Cheers,

Alistair

A little progress and some white.

BDGwN9u.jpg

Sxe9KLT.jpg

EO0X372.jpg

5NVqKDI.jpg

Some work still to do on the leading edges of the wings.

Other parts were primed.

MrW6ojU.jpg

6HzOzFO.jpg

SZe46Uy.jpg

3utXWy9.jpg

Believe it or not I only spotted the flash on the engine and prop as I viewed the pictures.

Will sort them later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Crikey, Alistair, this one looks like its almost finished as soon as its started! I nearly missed it..... Great looking subject in a striking scheme: its going to look great! (Note to self: get some civil aircraft). I'll be following, if I may?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Crikey, Alistair, this one looks like its almost finished as soon as its started! I nearly missed it..... Great looking subject in a striking scheme: its going to look great! (Note to self: get some civil aircraft). I'll be following, if I may?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, glad to have you along for the ride.

Still a wee bit of work required on some seams but not far off some red.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey I'm only a few days late and you've nearly done it!!! Looks to be a nice kit.

Great job so far Alistair.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Fairly typical Special Hobby Kit. A bit of care needed joining butt joints and remembering to look at the box illustration rather than the instruction for gluing up the undercarriage struts.

Ask me how I know about the latter. Still nothing a bit of carefully positioned sprue goo couldn't fix.

Mr. Dissolved putty liberally pasted on the leading edges and wheel spats just now.

So, tomorrow should see some more white and if I get lucky some Signal Red.

I've also smoothed down the white in a couple of places where it needed it. That'll teach me to spray in poor light. :oops:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

After rubbing down the Dissolved Putty this was resprayed with white and then some Humbrol Signal Red. Not quite the right colour but the closest I have available.

yGkP373.jpg

dcm0A0M.jpg

xFN87C2.jpg

xFsWOv3.jpg

The wings need a light rub down and a respray. I'll do that once it's completely dry.

Other bits and pieces were also given a coat of paint.

xGCnjK9.jpg

mmOoM8a.jpg

QoavSFc.jpg

SHoBYvE.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see the paint going on Alistair,  looks good fella. This is coming together very quickly.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

There's not much to the kit the only minor trouble was getting the undercarriage struts in position.

Oh and waiting for Humbrol enamels to dry, even with ColourCoats thinners they take so much longer.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Blimey, nearly done....

Looks a nice kit Alistair.

Fast work.

What`s next?

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Not certain about what's next but I'm thinking the ICM U-2/Po-2VS Night Witch version.

Just depends if I can get my mind around the rigging.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking really great, Alistair, this is going to be striking!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, very kind.

Not certain about striking as I need to get long thin decals right.

Little stressed about that. :frantic:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

The decals behave pretty well.  I applied them a little forward of where they need to go, then pulled them aft until the tail-end was in the right place.  This helped to keep the main stripe straight.  After that, I nudged the forward wider sections into place.

If you haven't done so already, I'd glue the engine mount to the nose before the decals, but put the cowling on afterwards.  That way the fuselage stripes can overhang or underhang a little at the front, and the cowling will cover that up and look just right.

Here's a photo from my build to show what I mean.  Note that the propeller is just posed in place, before anyone asks how on earth I got the cowling on :)

20210828_210010

Edited by Beggsy
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice turn of speed on this one Alistair, just like the original subject I suppose, and I look forward to the finished result. Having nearly missed this one, I’d like to register a vote for the Night Witches (not least to see how you cope with the rigging).

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Mark, very kind.

Not certain about striking as I need to get long thin decals right.

Little stressed about that. :frantic:

Cheers,

Alistair

No doubts, Alistair, not for a gentleman of your calibre - it'll be a walk in the park!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1