Early Lockheed shooting star schemes.

stevej60

Hi folk's,Picked up a HB 1/48 shooting star but not keen on NM finishes,thinking of applying an early

scheme maybe the prototype or one of the four sent to Europe in early 45. Decals might not be an issue

as they were conservatively marked but what is the dark colour in the online video's of the prototype

and is it a light gray for the four sent to Europe? Any help appreciated I know they had no bang seats

or wingtip tank's.

The early P-80A's were finished in a glossy color known as Pearl Grey; I have read articles that stated this color was close to FS16440. gull grey,  or 16473 ADC grey, but I  doubt the second one could be  correct, due to the date. Maybe @Dana Bell might know. The ones that appeared postwar with the WW2 victories of their pilots painted on the fin were very attractive, along with the PN-xxx buzz numbers. IIRC, early P-84 Thunderjets were also painted the same grey color. See the first link to some interesting early P-80 photos, and the second link describes Project Extraversion which sent a pair of P-90's to the ETO and MTO,  along with photos of the aircraft involved. 

Mike

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/44-85123/

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/44-85123/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

A total of 677 P-80A were constructed although some sources claim 676.  The first 344 production P-80A were finished in a protective light pearl-grey paint finish.  The paint was not a success due to peeling and wearing, as such subsequent production was left in natural metal finish. 

• Like 2

There is a very good thread on the YP-80's in Italy here:

Which includes eye witness artwork with stripes on the aircraft, making for an unusual and colourful alternative to NM. Here's how mine turned out

spacer.png

The photo has a slight blue cast - the grey is actually a bit warmer that that in real. I'm afraid I don't recall which grey I actually ended up using, but there are suggestions in the thread I referenced.

BTW this model is the Sword P-80A kit

Cheers

Colin

Edited by ckw
extra info
  • Like 5

Steve, I'm sorry if you don't like to hear about such things, but the Hobby Boss kit is really more of an approximation of a P-80 (yes, I actually have an example and have compared to other kits AND data). 

You mention "the prototype", by which I assume you mean the XP-80 that is now at the National Air & Space Museum.  It is somewhat different dimensionally (and in obvious shape elements) from all that followed, though I admit I haven't gotten to the bottom of exactly what its dimensions are.  At any rate, one possibility might be to modify the HB kit to "look like" the XP-80, which would at least give you the explanation for why it doesn't look quite like any other P-80/T-33 examples you might end up having in your display case.  I remember that there were two different "ideas" of what green it was painted, but I don't remember the details, and don't have time to go digging just now.

Now, if you're content to build your kit as a standard P-80, you've been pretty well answered already and I promise I won't judge!  Do be aware, though, that aftermarket decals meant for another kit may not fit the HB very well, in case you go that route.

bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Now, if you're content to build your kit as a standard P-80, you've been pretty well answered already and I promise I won't judge! 

Thank's Bob,I've seen the dimension issues mentioned about the HB kit intakes too I,m happy to build it warts'n all.

1 hour ago, ckw said:

BTW this model is the Sword P-80A kit

And a cracking job on her Colin I think that now makes my mind up for the scheme too,better dig out the masking tape for that tail!

Thank's everyone for the help and links much appreciated.

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I remember that there were two different "ideas" of what green it was painted,

I have the Smithsonian monograph on the history and restoration of Lulu Belle, and I can check to see what the paint used for the exterior was, if anyone is interested- it was a bright bottle green that looked similar to bronze/dull dark green or medium green. It also had a tinted canopy, IIRC.

Mike

I think Jay Spenser did the monograph, along with one they did on their Fw-190F-8.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I remember that there were two different "ideas" of what green it was painted, but I don't remember the details, and don't have time to go digging just now.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

it was a bright bottle green that looked similar to bronze/dull dark green or medium green.

The  restorers used Medium Green 42*, as they thought that is what was being used in the Lockheed paint shops for RAF bound Hudsons. 

Except...Medium Green 42 was not used as a substitute for RAF Dark Green....   the outlying wildcard here would be use of MAP approved US made colors, ie say a Dupont Dark Green.

It certainly later got a coat of standard OD, as the color pics in the monograph show the distinctive orange of the faded color, though from memory (monograph not to hand)  this only appears on the top layers, bear in min the XP-80 did get modified during testing.   

I have dim memories though that @Dana Bell  said it was a misunderstanding and Lulu Belle always was OD.... hopefully he'll pitch in.

* this is the scheme still on the XP-80 as currently displayed.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

It also had a tinted canopy, IIRC.

yes, as do the early P-80'sa, visible here, along with the Pearl Gray scheme

1024px-P80-1_300_(cropped).jpg

HTH

• Like 2