What are your sets?

kiseca

There are a few models that go hand in hand to make a set. Aircraft that just go together for some reason, whether it's history, shared technology, natural or legendary rivals.

For example, both the X-29 and Berkut are available in 1:72. They are the only two forward swept wing jet fighters so I thought they'd make a nice set, or theme, and built both together. As it turns out, the Berkut is so much larger it actually looks a scale up anyway :D

Then I've always liked two aircraft that were thought to be two of the best jets of the 1980s not to find buyers: The F-20 and F-16XL, and their stories with their high promise and struggles to find buyers, in the same era, are quite similar so there's another set: 1980s broken dreams. I have those in the stash too.

I've considered (but not pursued) a set of Spitfires and Hurricanes in the markings of Battle of Britain heroes, with Douglas Bader and Sailor Malan being at the top of my list.

I also like unusual or bright colour schemes, so I have a Red Arrows Hawk, a yellow Draken, the Black Thunder Tornado, a Ferrari Starfighter.... and keep looking to add a Vandy 1 Tomcat to that list.

Others have paired up the Concorde and the Tu-144 "Concordski", a Spitfire 1 vs a 109E, or a Mk 9 vs a Fw190, Sabre and Mig-15. A 747 and an A380 perhaps.

Do any of you buy aircraft that go naturally together to make display sets? What are your sets?

Edited by kiseca

The F-20 is a sexy little beast, as is its forebear (IMHO). Looks much better than the F-16. The only problem is that the Monogram kit in particular is hard to get and expensive, as understandably is hasn't been in extended production. If you're building in 1/72, may I suggest you add the Revell Jäger 90 kit. It's terrible as a kit (and in the end the plane was built), but I think suitably far removed from the final deal to be included as a "dream".

• Like 1

Oh god, don't get me started....as a bit of an obsessive/hoarder I 'set' EVERYTHING....

My sets have sets!

Atm:

Spitfires...up to Mk.V, with a stray F.Mk.22

Counterpart:

Bf 109 have just about everything from A to K.....

Fw 190 A to Ta 152

Comics:

Fw 190D-9 and La-5Fn to make the main characters of 'the Grand Duke' Wulf and Lilya's mounts...

WW1:

Got a Mk.IV, had to get a FT and A7V as well.....still contemplating a Schneider...

Panther, got D to G and a Jagd

Like they say......INCORRIGIBLE!

• Like 1

Sea Harrier and Mirage III maybe?

or the Mirage on the upper side vs a MiG-21?

Tomcat  vs MiG-23 (Su-22 seems to be way too uneven....)

Mirage 4000 and Rafale A?  (or Mirage G, etc and Mirage IV) not much out there in 1/48 though for pairing :( 

Rata(Mosca ) and BF109E

MiG-25 and B-70 (Blackbird if you want as well..)

Su-27 and F-15

MiG-29 and F-16

Mirage F1 and MiG-23

Mitsubishi F-2 and F-16

Mitsubishi F-1 and Jaguar

Tunnan, MiG-15, ... and late German Designs 

MiG-21 and Ha-300 (Messerschmitt design)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Orso said:

I have a set of Attack Viggen. From the wooden mock-up, all seven prototypes and the first operative production plane.

I bet that's a nice collection!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, exdraken said:

Mirage 4000 and Rafale A?  (or Mirage G, etc and Mirage IV) not much out there in 1/48 though for pairing :( 

Rata(Mosca ) and BF109E

Su-27 and F-15

MiG-29 and F-16

Mirage F1 and MiG-23

Mitsubishi F-2 and F-16

Are you me?

Missing Kfir/Mig-21 in there though...tsk...tsk...😉

On 9/1/2021 at 3:13 PM, tempestfan said:

The F-20 is a sexy little beast, as is its forebear (IMHO). Looks much better than the F-16. The only problem is that the Monogram kit in particular is hard to get and expensive, as understandably is hasn't been in extended production. If you're building in 1/72, may I suggest you add the Revell Jäger 90 kit. It's terrible as a kit (and in the end the plane was built), but I think suitably far removed from the final deal to be included as a "dream".

I never knew that existed! There are a few experimental Luftwaffe aircraft that would make a decent "what if" set... the Horton 229, the Ju EF-126/127, and this, if all could be found in a matching scale! I've seen some beautiful builds of Das Werks's  EF-126 kit as well.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:06 PM, exdraken said:

Rata(Mosca ) and BF109E

Su-27 and F-15

MiG-29 and F-16

Mirage F1 and MiG-23

Mitsubishi F-2 and F-16

Thanks, some great pairings in there! The Sea Harrier vs Mirage III from the Falklands war, the MiG 25 and mach 3 US aircraft of choice, the Mirage F1 / MiG-23 from the Angolan border conflict... those three in particular have a personal interest for me. The Sea Harrier FRS-1 is my favourite looking version of the Harrier, and the fact that it was so successful in combat adds to the mystique... I've read Sharkey Ward's account of the aircraft in combat too and he seemed to have a lot of faith in it!

The Blackbird - well it's just such a unique thing and has so many pretty angles to it, and the MiG-25, all brute force and a similar single-mindedness to its design.

And the Mirage F1.... I grew up in South Africa in the 1980s, so that was the front line fighter I was familiar with in my formative years. Saw a few F1s and IIIs at airshows. The F1 was always my favourite, and because it was so prominent in my youth it shaped my idea of what a jet fighter should look like. One of my favourite fighter plane shapes of all time, though unlike the Sea Harrier, the F1 found its opposition in war to be rather more formidable.

thanks for all the other contributions too. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications of updates on this topic so I didn't think anyone had replied at all!

Edited by kiseca
  • Like 1

I’m doing mine in sets rather than random models. There are still plenty in the stash to add to these, but so far I have;

1/48 F-15C, A-10A and F-4G from USAFE, 1980s

1/48 Jaguar, Buccaneer, Lightning F.3 and F.6, Canberra PR.9 and T.17, Phantom FG.1 and FGR.2 all in 1980’s RAF markings, with a Tornado in progress.

1/72 Meteors F.8s, NF.11 and NF.14s, Vampire F.3, Javelin FAW.8 and Hunter F.6 from the 1950’s RAF.

Currently have 1/48 Mosquito NF, Vampire, Hunters, Meteors and a Javelin in the stash to add to the Lightning F.1A build for a 50s/60s fighters set too.

• Like 1

Some additional interesting pairs:

MiG-25RB and F-4E over Israel

MiG-25 vs F/A-18  over Iraq

F-4 vs MiG-21 over Vietnam

F-8 vs MiG-21

F-105 vs MiG-17

Gnat vs Sabre

MiG-19 vs Su-7

U-2 vs SA-2 or RF-8

F-15 vs MiG-29 over Yugoslavia

Mirage 2000 vs F-16 over the Aegeis

V-Bomber triad vs Bison, Bounder, Blinder....

Spitfir vs Spitfire over Egypt

Bf109 (S.199) vs Spitfire over Israel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another type of set, the lineage...

Was thinking (based on my limited knowledge):

Camel

Spitfire

Meteor

Hunter

Lightning

Harrier

Tornado

Typhoon

Or:

Hawk

Mustang

Shooting Star

Thunderjet

Sabre

Super Sabre

Voodoo

Delta Dagger

Delta Dart

Starfighter

Phantom

Fighting Falcon

Eagle

Lightning II

Raptor

Fun thing is you can add as many in-between steps as you want, maybe even take evolutionary steps instead on national/airforce limits.

• Like 1

My main set probably looks completely random to most, but it’s local aviation history, the area in particular being East Anglia. So while a Wellington parked next to an F-15D might appear odd, it makes sense if you know they both operated out of Mildenhall.

The RAF in the Battle Of Britain is another area of interest, whilst the latest one is Warsaw Pact aircraft.

Britannia's! I am working my way through the aircraft that I worked on or came into regular contact with. The set if you like are the two Invicta Britannia's, G-AOVF and G-ANCF and there previous airline colours. This allows me to wonder about with the same aircraft effectively. I have Victor Fox in BOAC, IAS and Invicta at the moment with Charlie Fox with Invicta colours. I will be doing Donaldson and Monarch amongst others. Most of these efforts could not have been possible without the products of Ray at 26 decals. 

Keith

• Like 1

Making pairs and sets is my favourite way to model aircraft, gives an interesting context and sometimes duos that you might not know appeared alongside each other.

Often I make planes in pairs to display on a single vignette base for the best effect - sometimes the same model in two schemes or two different types - but ones that could have appeared side-by-side in terms of date and location - such as these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have some larger scenes under development with more aircraft (Czech post-war air force gives loads of very unusual combinations) and I like the idea of making 'opposition' pairings but need to work out how to display these.

• Like 4

I have been slowly building 1/72 models of all the (30 ish) aircraft that I have jumped from. A few kits are scarce or not available in 1/72 scale: BN Islander, DH-4 Cariboo, Pilatus Porter, Piper Cherokee 6, Shorts Skyvan, etc. And a few I will have to scratch-build or 3D print: Breezy, Gippsland Airvan, Maule, Westwind conversion of Beech 18, etc.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

I like the idea of making 'opposition' pairings but need to work out how to display these.

Maybe in the air? Or one in the air?

I like your vignettes!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

Making pairs and sets is my favourite way to model aircraft, gives an interesting context and sometimes duos that you might not know appeared alongside each other.

Often I make planes in pairs to display on a single vignette base for the best effect - sometimes the same model in two schemes or two different types - but ones that could have appeared side-by-side in terms of date and location....

I really like the way you display them together as vignettes. They look great and I see your point about them being pairings that are diverse but are likely to have appeared alongside eachother at some point.