1/72 Alpha Jet question(s)

ReccePhreak

I have gotten the urge to do a 1/72 Alpha Jet in Royal Thai Air Force markings, but I am trying to decide which kit to get. Based on Scalemates, it appears that most (Except Matchbox) available 1/72 kits are just reboxings of either the ancient (1977) Heller kit or the "not much newer" Airfix (1980) kit. They appear to be poorly detailed and more representative of prototypes, than the planes that Thailand used. What would my best option, without having to do a complete rebuild of the kit? I need a relatively accurate cockpit, since it will be quite visible, but I can always use aftermarket ejection seats.

NOTE: I do have a bagged Heller Kit #257 and a boxed kit # 80257. 

Since Thailand got their Alpha Jets from Germany, would they have been equipped with Martin-Baker Mk.4-AJMR seats or the Stencel S-III-S (SJU-4) seats? I need to order the correct aftermarket seats from Hannanrs.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Updated

46 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Seat was the original Stencel they had when these aircraft were serving with the Luftwaffe

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, Hannants only have one in stock, and I need 5. 2 each for my two Alpha Jet kits, and one for my AMT/ERTL 1/72 AV-8A Harrier that I am doing in Royal Thai Navy markings.

Larry

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for that info.

Unfortunately, Hannants only have one in stock, and I need 5. 2 each for my two Alpha Jet kits, and one for my AMT/ERTL 1/72 AV-8A Harrier that I am doing in Royal Thai Navy markings.

Larry

Hi Phreak,

I know I have some Cut then Add decals for a Thai Harrier (IF you need some!) but I'll have to check to see if I have any resin Stencil seats around.

I heard that KP is supposed to be coming out with an Alpha Jet but I'm not sure if it'll be new or a re-box!  I will soldier-on with my very old MPC (Airfix) kit with a Pavla cockpit, intakes and exhausts, Stencil seats, and a Master pitot.  I'm also trying to modify the tail cone with the chaff/flares and E.C.M. bumps.  All I need now are the correct Portuguese decals; all the ones available now have the rescue arrow in German, instead of the Portuguese over English details!

Give me a buzz, (glynnj(at)swbell(dot)net

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Additions and corrections
  • Like 1

Fujimi also did a 1/72 Alpha jet in at least two boxings: Luftwaffe and French demonstration team. I had the Luftwaffe boxing but got rid of it and my Heller kit years ago; as I recall,it was better and worse than the Heller kit in some respects, and my plan was   to cross kit both to get one decent Luftwaffe example. Lost interest and was hoping, in vain it seems, that Special Hobby or Valom would do a new-tool. Wish I could be more helpful!

Mike

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Dassault-Bleguet-Dornier-Alphajet-A.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text

4 hours ago, WARDOG said:

Hi Phreak,

I know I have some Cut then Add decals for a Thai Harrier (IF you need some!) but I'll have to check to see if I have any resin Stencil seats around.

I heard that KP is supposed to be coming out with an Alpha Jet but I'm not sure if it'll be new or a re-box!  I will soldier-on with my very old MPC (Airfix) kit with a Pavla cockpit, intakes and exhausts, Stencil seats, and a Master pitot.  I'm also trying to modify the tail cone with the chaff/flares and E.C.M. bumps.  All I need now are the correct Portuguese decals; all the ones available now have the rescue arrow in German, instead of the Portuguese over English details!

Give me a buzz, (glynnj(at)swbell(dot)net

WARDOG

Email sent. :worthy:

16 hours ago, WARDOG said:

I heard that KP is supposed to be coming out with an Alpha Jet but I'm not sure if it'll be new or a re-box!

It's a new tool, supposedly due any moment now:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235095929-172-dornierdassault-breguet-alpha-jet-family-by-kovozávody-prostějov-kp-box-art-release-august-2021/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

A lot of the "Naysayers" are already criticizing it before the first kit has been released, saying it's either just a "rebox" or a slightly retooled Heller or Matchbox kit.

I will hold off until it actually gets released. I still have my 2 Heller kits to work on.

Larry

• Like 1

The problem with AZ/KP is that their recent track record is very mixed... some kits were quite nice, like the ones made with metal moulds (Bf.109 etc) while some were frankly pretty bad (Sf.260, L.159). I'd say that what modellers are concerned about is what path will the company follow for their announced Alpha Jet: will it be a good one or a bad one ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

A lot of the "Naysayers" are already criticizing it before the first kit has been released, saying it's either just a "rebox" or a slightly retooled Heller or Matchbox kit.

I will hold off until it actually gets released. I still have my 2 Heller kits to work on.

Larry

The Matchbox would be a most unfortunate basis - if they actually did it the "ZTS" way -, as it was the first AJ on the market and based on a mock up, with a very rakish fin. It had a slight retool in 1980 or 81, but is no match (no pun intended) for either the Heller, Airfix or Fujimi tools.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:55 AM, Giorgio N said:

The problem with AZ/KP is that their recent track record is very mixed... some kits were quite nice, like the ones made with metal moulds (Bf.109 etc) while some were frankly pretty bad (Sf.260, L.159). I'd say that what modellers are concerned about is what path will the company follow for their announced Alpha Jet: will it be a good one or a bad one ?

1000 Thanks Giorgio

I was thinking the other day to fall with KP L-159 (so I'm going to avoid it) and for other part lots of Heller moulds have appear sudently from Mistercraft .  Personally I don't know or care about the relationship between KP and Mastercraft but I'll keep my own Heller Alpha jet on the assembly line

Regards 

5 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

…lots of Heller moulds have appear sudently from Mistercraft .  

Humbrol sold a lot of Heller moulds in the mid 80s, to Crovetto in Argentina, Lodela in Mexico (e.g. Alpha), and Smer. Those you are seeing as Mistercraft are the ones sold to Smer, who seem to have access to the Smer toolbank.

37 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Humbrol sold a lot of Heller moulds in the mid 80s, to Crovetto in Argentina, Lodela in Mexico (e.g. Alpha), and Smer. Those you are seeing as Mistercraft are the ones sold to Smer, who seem to have access to the Smer toolbank.

BTW LODELA from Mexico is no longer in operations since late 80s

56 minutes ago, RAGATIGER said:

BTW LODELA from Mexico is no longer in operations since late 80s

Lodela no longer makes kits for some time now, but late 80s is incorrect. Revell‘s early 90s boxings of the ex-Heller AJ, Ar 196 and Vampire/Mistral came from Lodela AFAIK. Revell apparently bought those moulds off Lodela plus a couple of Cadets ca. 10 years ago.