Yugoslav Fury Mk.II – A-Model 1/72

Finished a week ago. The most potent and most elegant version of the Hawker biplane fighter in service with 6. LP (Fighter Regiment) of VV (Army Air Force) of KJ (Kingdom of Yugoslavia) at Belgrade airport, sometime in 1938.

The kit is typical A-Model shortrun, one of the better offerings by this manufacturer, if you ask me. Quite thoroughly researched, depicting not only the obvious differences, but also the more subtle variations from the standard Fury, directly from the box. The built was straightforward, the only real problems being the narrow front fuselage and the tricky alignment of the upper wing, as described in the WIP thread.

Completed with Yahu instrument panel, Eduard steel seat harness and Mini World guns. Resin wheels from my spare parts box, but frankly, they looked nice in the box, nevertheless the painting revealed so many blemishes that most probably the original wheels from the kit would have been better.

Decals by Kora. I have not found photos of this particular airplane and because I am no real expert on VVKJ, I decided to trust Kora used reliable references while preparing their decals. Although, I have my little doubts. Because they interpreted the “Lift here" stencil as "Hore tunaj", whereas it should be written as "Diži ovde” (or equivalent in Cyrillic). "Hore tunaj" means nothing in Serbo-Croatian, as my Croatian brother in law confirmed me last weekend over a bottle of wine. However, I decided to use the stencil on the model anyway as a lesson for future generations.😉

Brush painted with combination of Humbrol, Model Master, Revell and Tamiya (the blue rudder stripe) enamels. As usual, no rigging.

20210828-DSC-0367.jpg

20210828-DSC-0368.jpg

20210828-DSC-0369.jpg

20210828-DSC-0370.jpg

20210828-DSC-0371.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 48

Beautiful Fury in silver doped fabric!  Were the engine nacelles painted uniform with the rest of the aircraft, left in bare metal, or sealed with a protective clear coat?

Agree with you on the mistranslation.  Maybe it's an inside joke at the decal company!

Alex

23 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Were the engine nacelles painted uniform with the rest of the aircraft, left in bare metal, or sealed with a protective clear coat?

Agree with you on the mistranslation.  Maybe it's an inside joke at the decal company!

I appreciate the kind attention given to (relatively) obscure variation of an interwar biplane fighter, thank you. I mean all of you!

In my opinion the metal panels were left in bare metal, which became less shiny later in the service, making the planes look more uniform. I used Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium Metalcote for the metal panels and Revell 90 for the rest. Unfortunately the difference faded away after the final coats of clear lacquer and now you would probably need spectrometer to detect it😀. Especially under such a direct sunlight as on my pictures.

Regarding "Hore tunaj" I think the joke explanation is plausible. To my ears, the phrase sounds like coming from a dialect spoken in the Moravian-Slovak borderland. Kora has a seat in Rožnov pod Radhoštěm, which is, surprise, surprise, guess where?

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1