P.61A - Black Widow

Hi All, this is my latest offering the Black Widow. Another aircraft I've been wanting to build for some time and the first time I've built a kit by HobbyBoss. Got to say I was quietly impressed, the kit is well engineered with little or very little flash, so well engineered that I found even a coat of paint can affect the fit as I found when I tried to fit the engine into the nacelles and got into a bit of a mess.

Built out of the box apart from some Tamiya tape seat belts and I fashioned together some different antennae as I  didn't like the photo etch supplied with kit, painted with Tamiya acrylics but I think the colour on the upper surfaces may be a bit dark.

Anyway here she is and as usual all comments and criticisms are welcome. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

• Like 28

Hi,

what a delightful model! I assume the interior has nothing in common with the Easy Build kits?

I think you may be right about the OD. All the photos I have seen show a rather weathered and light OD.

Assume it just arrived from the factory!

Great show and congrats!

JR

Looks very fine to me! OD Is always hard to render . Not found a paint that truely satisfy me so far.. A strange looking aircraft in many respects. Looks like a greenhouse with wings lol.. but only from some angles! 

I did a Hobby Boss P-47 Jug in 1:48 scale last year. I too was impressed by this kits lack of flash and very good fit.  Bought 2 at the time for £11 odd quid. Bargain! What's not to like?

Your build looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us!

kind Regards 

Andy

That looks really good, too dark top colour excepted perhaps, it's very tidily done. I'm not seeing a prop under the tail so assume that it is not a tail sitter, how much weight was required to achieve this?

Steve.

On 28/08/2021 at 17:07, SAT69 said:

Very very nice! Sounds like it's a huge improvement over the old Monogram kit.

Thank you, I've never built a Monogram kit, but if this is a typical Hobbyboss kit I will be building more of theirs.

On 28/08/2021 at 17:45, jean said:

Hi,

what a delightful model! I assume the interior has nothing in common with the Easy Build kits?

I think you may be right about the OD. All the photos I have seen show a rather weathered and light OD.

Assume it just arrived from the factory!

Great show and congrats!

JR

Thank you, on the box it does say easy assembly, but it's not as simplistic as the Airfix snap together kits. Just a nice well engineered model to work on.

On 28/08/2021 at 18:17, neil5208 said:

Nice result, I have this one in the stash to build hopefully this year

Thank you.

On 29/08/2021 at 01:37, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Looks very fine to me! OD Is always hard to render . Not found a paint that truely satisfy me so far.. A strange looking aircraft in many respects. Looks like a greenhouse with wings lol.. but only from some angles! 

I did a Hobby Boss P-47 Jug in 1:48 scale last year. I too was impressed by this kits lack of flash and very good fit.  Bought 2 at the time for £11 odd quid. Bargain! What's not to like?

Your build looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us!

kind Regards 

Andy

Thank you.

18 hours ago, billn53 said:

Looks great! Isn't the Hobby Boss kit nice? I built one a few years back and enjoyed it immensely.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, billn53 said:

Like this one, which I tried to emulate when I built my P-61:

25340536868_bc1fdb1d55_b.jpg

I've got be honest I read a lot of threads on here, yours included, and struggled with whether I should attempt to age and fade the finish when I wasn't happy with the OD, but I've wrecked so many models with the weathering that I shyed away from it. But your rendition is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks really good, too dark top colour excepted perhaps, it's very tidily done. I'm not seeing a prop under the tail so assume that it is not a tail sitter, how much weight was required to achieve this?

Steve.

Thank you, the instructions call out for 20 grammes spread between the nose and engine nacelles, I managed to get 25 crammed into the nose and it's plenty.

• Thanks 1