zebra

As my other three current builds all either have milliput or primer drying, it's time to start another French build, and there seems to be a Caravelle-shaped gap in the GB so I'll try to fill it. This is the Amodel 1/144 Caravelle 10R, which I'm going to build in Transeuropa colours using 26 decals. Here's the plastic:

Amodel Caravelle 10R

There's also a small PE fret with the wing fences. There are apparently a couple of shape issues, but it looks like a Caravelle and it's quite crisply moulded. 

I've made a start by assembling the fuselage. Didn't bother with the cockpit as I'll be using decals for the windows. The instructions say nothing about ballast in the nose, so I've added about 20g in the form of Australian 5 cent coins. Here's the very little progress so far:

Caravelle 10R WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 10

I've always felt that the Caravelle was an extremely attractive aircraft, très chic!  It's nice to see one in this GB.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, Julian. The Caravelle, particularly in its earlier iterations was very elegant, very French. Your choice of Trans Europa colours is great too, evoking memories of the IT charters of the 1970s that I remember well :).

Martin

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

First airliner I ever flew on back in the early 70’s, a SAM Caravelle (return on a Laker B707)

A SAM Caravelle would make and attractive build, particularly I-DABL :). She is looking good here, probably taken at Pisa. I remember taxying amongst those C-119s later in 1979. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAM_Caravelle_VI-N_I-DABL.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

A SAM Caravelle would make and attractive build, particularly I-DABL :). She is looking good here, probably taken at Pisa. I remember taxying amongst those C-119s later in 1979. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAM_Caravelle_VI-N_I-DABL.jpg

Out of my almost 2000 commercial flights, that Caravelle is the only aircraft I don’t know the registration of - it’s most annoying! That said, I-DABL does look gorgeous in that photo (the C-119’s ain’t  too shabby either). Then again, most Caravelle’s look pretty special to me

SD

2 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Out of my almost 2000 commercial flights, that Caravelle is the only aircraft I don’t know the registration of - it’s most annoying! That said, I-DABL does look gorgeous in that photo (the C-119’s ain’t  too shabby either). Then again, most Caravelle’s look pretty special to me

SD

I-DABL was the only one that remained in the old Alitalia scheme until the end. The others all moved to the new scheme. 

• Like 1

Great to see a Caravelle making an appearance Julian. I built an old Airfix Skykings boxing in SAS colours for the Scandinavian GB. This A Model kit is looking good so far, I look forward to seeing the end result, I am sure it will be another stunner for your collection.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the Caravelle after a couple of weeks of focusing on other things. Basic airframe assembly is done, and I've also assembled the engines (these will be painted separately and attached after it's been painted and decalled). I then went and gave it a coat of primer before realising I'd left the wing fences off - these will go on tomorrow and then I'll finish priming and maybe even start painting.

Caravelle 10R WIP

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Primed and ready for paint:

Caravelle 10R WIP

On 9/30/2021 at 1:14 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm very curious about those cabin windows. How does that work?

The plastic behind them is pretty thin and is supposed to be cut away if you want clear windows. If you're using decals you can just leave it in place and insert the clear window strip on top of it, as I've done. It's a lot better than having to fill all the windows.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, zebra said:

The plastic behind them is pretty thin and is supposed to be cut away if you want clear windows. If you're using decals you can just leave it in place and insert the clear window strip on top of it, as I've done. It's a lot better than having to fill all the windows.

How ingenious. Thanks for the explanation. It reminds me of some of the tricks Tamiya did on their recent Spitfire Mk1, with joints within the depth of the plastic like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll start with the update I forgot to post last week! I got the Caravelle painted last weekend - here it is painted and waiting for decals:

Caravelle 10R WIP

You might notice one of the wing fences is missing. It just doesn't seem to want to stay on! I'll add it at the end.

And now with decals - as always, the 26 decals work very nicely. Could just do with a bit more contrast between the cockpit windows and the dark blue of the cheat line as you can't actually see the cockpit windows in this photo.

Caravelle 10R WIP 2

More soon

Julian

• Like 5

Nearly there - undercarriage is on, just need to do the wheel well doors and reattach the wing fence. The undercarriage was a right old faff, very indistinct and imprecise fit and the wheels didn't want to line up properly, but it's done now.

Caravelle 10R WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She looks really smart Julian, one of the best looking airliners ever made.

Thanks Craig - absolutely agree, far better looking than its contemporaries the DC-9 and 1-11.

Got the undercarriage doors on and the wing fence back on so I'm calling this done. A couple more photos will be in the gallery shortly.

1/144 Caravelle

Thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5