Swissair DC3 Metallics

I'm building the 1:72 Italeri DC3 kit to represent Swissair's HB-IRN.  So far I've used an appliance white gloss for the uppers, which I'm quite happy with, then Humbrol aluminium for the lower fuselage and mainplanes.  Looking at the finished result and comparing it to photos of the real thing I'm not happy with the aluminium finish, it's not shiny enough.  I've thought about Humbrol metalcote but that may be too shiny.  Any ideas or advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

By Humbrol Aluminium do you mean 56? I find it OK for cast aluminium but it's nothing like what you need for aircraft skinning - as you've found. Years ago Humbrol 11 was always my favourite - I could always get a lovely finish with an airbrush but then they messed it up and turned it into a dull, grainy, greyish mess not much different from 56. Humbrol 191 is as good as you'll get in their range of standard enamels now. It's very finely pigmented and gives a good finish but it is rather shiny. I've used Metalcote but I've never been a fan of it because I always thought it was grainier than the standard enamel.

I've confined my answer to Humbrol products but no doubt there will soon be a lot of suggestions for others.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

You  might want to find some period photos of -IRN, as the photos of  her after being retired and put on outdoor display will most likely not display as shiny an appearance due to prolonged exposure to the sun and elements. See the link below to a postcard that showed her when she was in service that might be useful. Note the non-standard ADF football under the nose and the antenna fit. In any case, that's one  mighty pretty DC-3!

Mike

swissair-dc-3.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!  That's pretty.  The Swiss really kept them at a high polish!  

Outside the Humbrol range, I would suggest the AK Extreme Metal lacquers, which are quite forgiving.  To get the right effect, I'd mix half/half chrome and shiny aluminum.  Remember to just dust AK on, and be very patient.  Even on something as small as a DC-3, you'll want to apply several dusting coats with ample (24-48 hour) dry times in-between.  Lacquer dries quickly, but with metallics, you really want to give them some time to set up properly, and don't forget to use a tack-rag to gently remove dust just prior to painting.  Just my $.02 worth.

• Like 6

Many thanks for all your suggestions, I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling the aluminium is a little dull.  Hi to 72 modeller, I looked at the photo trying to find the football shaped ADF antenna but all I 

could see was a rugby ball shaped antenna.😎

PP

• Haha 6

20 hours ago, Phantom Phixer said:

I looked at the photo trying to find the football shaped ADF antenna but all I 

could see was a rugby ball shaped antenna

Then somebody plunked their big fat bum on that rugby ball! The ADF antenna seen in the postcard photo is what is commonly called the 'football' antenna; I keep forgetting there is football on this side of the pond and football on your side of the pond- mea culpa! :sorry:

Mike

• Like 1

IMG_20210901_165543

Hey guys.  I've chosen the Humbrol 191 route.  Above was the fuselage finished in aluminium which I thought was rather too dull.  Below is the fuselage finished in Humbrol 191, much shinier and nicer 😎.

IMG_20210903_153003

Many thanks for your suggestions

Chris the Phixer

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
IMG_20220206_183201

Well I finally finished the Swiss DC3 kit, it's taken about seven or eight months.  Despite it being a simple airliner kit I think it's quite possibly one of the most intricate kits I've ever done.  I never knew there were so many shades of silver!  Silver for the cylinder heads, aluminium for the fuselage ice protection reinforcing plates, metal finish 191 for the fuselage and mainplanes, gun metal for something I can't remember. 

Thanks again for the steer on the Humbrol 191👍

Next up is the old Airfix Fouga Magister.   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Humbrol Metal Cote Polished Aluminium with satisfactory results but be aware you should not seal it after decalling. it loses its sheen. I've given up on Humbrol 56 and 11 for large areas-just use them for little spots. I apply decals directly onto the Metal Cote finish and gently press down with a cotton bud and then leave them alone. I'd apply the de-icing strips first then gently tape over them before applying the Metal Cote. A bit fiddly I know but if you're prepared to not "over-handle" the metal finish well worth the effort. 

I'm in that wonderful part of the world called Vegemite (aka Orstraya). We have a new local manufacturer/supplier who is producing sublime acrylic lacquers. Superb metallics !!! I'm an old Humbrol man but these new paints are the bees knees for airbrushing. He's even brought out pure acrylics as well. Not sure if they're available yet in the jolly UK. He has got them going over to the U.S.

https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/collections/metallics

I suggest you check out https://fromemodelcentre.com/ for them. Hannants don't seem to stock them.

• Like 1