1:72 Douglas Boston Mk.III 'Intruder' *FINISHED*

Dunny

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Yes, that is looking lovely, Roger! I feel my need to buy this kit increasing...

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Perhaps Special Hobby should pay you a small stipend for increasing their sales.

Thanks very much Jason - now that is a fine idea! Go on - buy it!!

• Like 1

Hi All,

I couldn't resist another quick update, as I've now finish flat coats, and also added the nose wheel, so then I unmasked the glazing to give this:

20220731-150523.jpg

20220731_150536.jpg

A bit of tidying up required, but not looking too shabby! I won't finish today, but the end is definitely in sight,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 15

Looks fantastic Roger, I am so glad you got passed the place which you got to on the previous build and laid that one to rest, well conquered my friend. You have done a splendid job and it is wonderful to see it unmasked and in it's full glory so far.

Are you going straight onto the Mk.V  or the Swordfish next😉:whistle:

Chris

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Roger, I am so glad you got passed the place which you got to on the previous build and laid that one to rest, well conquered my friend. You have done a splendid job and it is wonderful to see it unmasked and in it's full glory so far.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - it does feel like I conquered a demon! You are a very funny man...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you have conquered that demon fella.  Sorry, I couldn't resist😉

Chris

Fair play mate, fair play 🤣

• Haha 2

Very, very nicely done Roger.

Looks awesome from this end.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Chris

Funny I thought Chris was talking to himself there. :whistle::poke::wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Funny I thought Chris was talking to himself there. :whistle::poke::wicked:

Don't forget he's got to get his Sunderland first 🤣

• Haha 3

Looking real good Roger, it’s coming together very nicely and that’s a great scheme too, I’ve not seen that before.  Looking forward to when it’s finished.

Then you can start the swordfish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

Looking real good Roger, it’s coming together very nicely and that’s a great scheme too, I’ve not seen that before.  Looking forward to when it’s finished.

Then you can start the swordfish.

Thanks very much Mark - it was an experimental scheme and most attractive to my eye!

Cheers,

Roger

(The Stringbag is sat in my basket on BNA. I hope you people are pleased with yourselves - I am a weak man 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

(The Stringbag is sat in my basket on BNA. I hope you people are pleased with yourselves - I am a weak man 🤣)

I meant to come back to this yesterday…. Aux contraire mon ami, it take great courage to step out and join the in-crowd.  I’m sure you'll click “Checkout” before midday to ensure same-day dispatch. 💪

• Haha 2

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 Douglas Boston Mk.III 'Intruder' *FINISHED*

Hi All,

Today has been all about the final furlong on the Intruder! First of all I worked on the propellers (I also did the Swordfish propeller whilst I was at it - all about efficiency, me 🤣). Here's the finished articles after an oil wash:

20220806-161330.jpg

The scheme kindly provided by @dogsbody and @Carl V depicted OG spinners - I thought this looked rather spiffing, so decided to duplicate this detail. Next up the resin exhausts - again, a bit of a production line was established for these, along with the Gladiator exhaust collector which required a respray as I'd missed some key areas, and the Swordfish. Here's a cheeky shot of the Glad component, which I was rather pleased with:

20220806-162727.jpg

And here's the Boston's exhausts:

20220806_163213.jpg

Once they'd had a flat coat and I'd sprayed the exhaust staining they were fixed in position with a blob of CA:

20220806_163420.jpg

After that it was a hop, skip and a jump to the finish line. So without further ado here's some teaser shots:

20220806_165700.jpg

20220806_165714.jpg

20220806_165729.jpg

20220806_165807.jpg

So, finally it ends! This has been almost a year in the making, albeit much of it lying fallow. I'm really glad that I persisted with the second build, as this aircraft and scheme were an itch I really needed to scratch. Several people have provided information which has helped the accuracy of the build enormously, so I'm very grateful to @Scott Hemsley, @Wm Blecky, @dogsbody and @Carl V for the information so willingly provided on this unusual RCAF subject. Thanks also to those who've provided kind words and encouragement along the way - it is sincerely appreciated. I'll post some RFI photos tomorrow, but now signing off from a most enjoyable project!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Another stunner.

The quality of your output continues to leave me in awe.

Cheers,

Alistair

You are most kind Alistair - likewise mate!

6 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That’s a thing of beauty Roger. Really repays all the effort you’ve put into it!

Craig. 

Thanks for the kind words Craig - much appreciated. This one has definitely been a journey rather than a destination!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Looks great Roger, you’ve done a bang up job on that one.  I like the scheme a lot, it’s really striking on this aircraft.  I’m sure a great addition to the collection.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looks great Roger, you’ve done a bang up job on that one.  I like the scheme a lot, it’s really striking on this aircraft.  I’m sure a great addition to the collection.

Thanks Mark - very pleased to have this one in the bag! Now onto something a little more naval; but you know that 😉

9 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely!

Regards 

Adrian

Thanks Adrian!

6 minutes ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Big thumbs up from me - love the choice of scheme, great finish, all boxes ticked!

Dave

Cheers Dave - glad you liked it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely stunning Roger, great scheme and details, cracking work and glad you laid the ghost of the old one to rest.

Love it

Chris

Thanks Chris - very happy with this one! I seem to be developing a 1:72 habit!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1