Zvezda 1/72 C-130 kit, can it be built as a B?

Wm Blecky

I've been looking at getting the Zvezda C-130 kit, more so now that Belcher Bits has issued their RCAF / CAF CC-130 decal sheet in 1/72.  I would like to do the earlier version from this sheet, a C-130B:

spacer.png

Does the new Zvezda kit allow for this?  Reading the decal sheet instructions, it sounds like the main difference is that there was a cargo door on the forward fuselage.  Is that all that I would need to concern myself with or is there more to it?

Edited by Wm Blecky

On 28/08/2021 at 04:58, Wm Blecky said:

I've been looking at getting the Zvezda C-130 kit, more so now that Belcher Bits has issued their RCAF / CAF CC-130 decal sheet in 1/72.  I would like to do the earlier version from this sheet, a C-130B:

spacer.png

Does the new Zvezda kit allow for this?  Reading the decal sheet instructions, it sounds like the main difference is that there was a cargo door on the forward fuselage.  Is that all that I would need to concern myself with or is there more to it?

hi. look on my pictures please. Lockheed-C-130-B-Hercules-130101-Namao-4

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Scott

I am interested in any discussion on this topic as well

Mike Belcher

Hello Mr. Belcher,

If you hear from Scott, please let me know as I have not heard from him myself.  I'd be very interested in any information that he passes on to you.

Thank you.

Wm. B. 

I don't think so, as it comes, but can be an easy conversion. The C-130A/B had external wing tanks mounted outboard of the engines. Beginning with the C-130B, IIRC, the uprated engines fitted to that and subsequent versions resulted in longer engine nacelles. It also had increased internal fuel capacity in the wing center section and the power boosted ailerons had the operating pressure increased. Being a C-130H, IIRC, the Zvezda kit has the four bladed props, longer engine nacelles, and larger external tanks mounted between the inboard and outboard engines, so it can't be built as is into a C-130B. I think  you can purchase the Red Roo C-130A/B smaller external external tanks separately from their C-130A conversion set. he Zvezda kit already has the four bladed props and longer nacelles. I think those are the main differences, but maybe a resident Herk  expert can elaborate and confirm/correct my thoughts.

Mike

I have the Zvezda kit and the Red Roo conversion set and plan to build a C-130A from the 516th TCW based at Dyess AB, Texas, during  the 60's when we were stationed there and my late father was the TCW's personnel officer.

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I don't think so, as it comes, but can be an easy conversion. The C-130A/B had external wing tanks mounted outboard of the engines. Beginning with the C-130B, IIRC, the uprated engines fitted to that and subsequent versions resulted in longer engine nacelles. It also had increased internal fuel capacity in the wing center section and the power boosted ailerons had the operating pressure increased. Being a C-130H, IIRC, the Zvezda kit has the four bladed props, longer engine nacelles, and larger external tanks mounted between the inboard and outboard engines, so it can't be built as is into a C-130B. I think  you can purchase the Red Roo C-130A/B smaller external external tanks separately from their C-130A conversion set. he Zvezda kit already has the four bladed props and longer nacelles. I think those are the main differences, but maybe a resident Herk  expert can elaborate and confirm/correct my thoughts.

Mike

I have the Zvezda kit and the Red Roo conversion set and plan to build a C-130A from the 516th TCW based at Dyess AB, Texas, during  the 60's when we were stationed there and my late father was the TCW's personnel officer.

Actually the C-130B does not use underwing fuel tanks.

Yes, Jennings Heilig contacted me and confirmed the B did not carry any external tanks. The Zvezda kit also includes both long and short sponson noses, so following Jim Craik's helpful photo, all you need to do is scribe in the forward cargo doors. The nose wheel difference is, in my opinion, relatively minor and not worth stressing about.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Yes, Jennings Heilig contacted me and confirmed the B did not carry any external tanks. The Zvezda kit also includes both long and short sponson noses, so following Jim Craik's helpful photo, all you need to do is scribe in the forward cargo doors. The nose wheel difference is, in my opinion, relatively minor and not worth stressing about.

Thank you sir!