Opel Maultier and Neger midget submarine

This is my Kriegsmarine revitalized project:

Opel maultier: Italeri kit item 221, resin wheels, Master Box 1/35 separate tracks code 3505 and Eduard 35587 photoetch.

Neger: Verlinden 1/35 human torpedo Neger, code 816, with cabin interior scratch build parts.

Trailer: scratch build

A little of history - Neger in action:

The K-Flottille 361 was ordered to move to the Normandy coast on June 13, 1944. This unit was equipped with 60 "Neger" one-man torpedoes. On the night between July 5 and 6, the Neger sailors went into action. The target was the Trout line that protected the allied floating harbours. The actoin was very succesful as several allied ships went down. Walter Gerhold hit and sank the british frigate HMS Trollope and for this action did Gerhold recieve the Knight's Cross.

The two british mine clearing(?) (Minensuchboote) ships HMS Magic and HMS Cato were also sunk that night. The seventeen year old Neger sailor Matrose Horst Berger was involved in the sinking of one of those and for this recieved the German Cross in Gold. At the age of just seventeen, I suppose Berger has had to be one of the absolutely youngest recipients of this award.

Source (and a good read) for this information is "Das Kommando der Kleinkampfverbände der Kriegsmarine" by Helmut Blocksdorf (2003).

(text credits to Krollspell) - in https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=95671

8HCdUVY.jpg

C1rZIt2.jpg

LexqCtA.jpg

BQtYrl8.jpg

4zIogqx.jpg

3BY5Afq.jpg

whkORD3.jpg

ai4adMx.jpg

q200UV8.jpg

2n4xxsO.jpg

RdhJ6vH.jpg

Edited by Carius
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Brilliant work again Cesar. Love the "graffiti" style camo. Marvellous.👏

Hello my friend, glad you like it.

Take care

Cesar

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

Well done mate, Opel looks spectacular in that almost Grafitti like camo, but i especially do like the finish you achieved on the Neger sub!

Hans

I thank your kind words Hans.

Cheers from Brazil

1 hour ago, StuartH said:

Brilliant. Lovely to see such a different subject matter.

I love the camo scheme.....perfect 👍

Many thanks Stuart.

In fact I did not expect that this kind of camouflage stay so good.

Cesar

Hi my friend, I hope you are fine!

I thank your compliments and about the trailer, I took as base the following sources, real design as you can see:

KeABic1.jpg

8P5LmLf.jpg

aawPzsI.jpg

And I did the best I can Andy,

Take Care

Cesar

• Like 3

Great work on both, interesting to see the Neger. It seems all the German arms of service had desperate last ditch weapons. Not sure if the time, money & materials spent developing them was worth the results though.

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanond said:

A very unique model and one very well done too. 

Nanond

2 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I'll add my kudos to everyone else's.

Either project alone is simply stunning. Together they are high art.

Superbly done!

I appreciate the kind compliments from both of you.

Many thanks Nanond and thorfinn

• Like 1

Mmmmm, now that is lovely Cesar. Fantastic subject matter and fantastic execution - very well done sir!

I may steal the idea of the chain separating the drums from the rest of the cargo in the truck bed. I hope you don't mind. :wink:

Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Cesar, 

A very interesting and unusual set, I had heard about midget submarines, but I don't think this one knew about it.
Very well finished the two kits, I really like the load of the trailer, with a motorcycle even, very convincing.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1