Revell 1/72 Hawk T.1

Hi all,

I know there's been a Hawk GB here recently, but I'm doing this as part of a small, local "anything with a Welsh connection" themed GB.

I've moved away from 1/72 scale in the last 12 months, and sold the majority of my kits in this scale, however I didn't fancy paying 1/48 scale prices!

There are basically 2 options in 1/72 scale: Revell and Airfix. I'm not a massive fan of smaller scale Airfix kits, because I think the panel lines are way overdone, so that left me with Revell.

This is a typical Revell kit, and has some frankly ridiculous sprue attachment points...

...and lots of random flash.

It goes together OK, although it's going to need a bit of filling and sanding in places.

Although the markings provided by Revell are that of a 208 Sqn RAF Valley aircraft,  that's not really how I remember them. I spent many happy hours at the end of the runway in Valley with my dad in the 90's and in those days the Hawks were all Red and White, or Red, White and Blue so I also picked up these decals so I can do something more familiar and nostalgic:

I've also got a few other AM bits to add, but I'm not aiming for anything other than average with this build.

Thanks for looking 

Matt

• Like 9

Thanks for the comments @Gondor44 and @Robert!

Empty house today has led to some progress. 

Although I'm no fan of "black-basing", it is useful for cockpit and internal parts so they received a quick coat of Mr Hobby black acrylic last night. 

Then this morning they were oversprayed with light grey and weathered using a mix of acrylic and oil washes. Instrument decals are from the kit.

The airframe goes together ok-ish although as predicted, there are quite a few gaps - the worst of which is where the wing assembly meets the fuselage. I filled the gap with some scrap plastic sheet which will be cut and sanded to shape once the glue has set.

Finally, the bits of AM I ordered have arrived in the shape of a turned pitot from Master and some ejector seats from Pavla.

More progress soon (hopefully!)

Matt

• Like 8

I've finally managed to fit the intake nozzles - it took quite a bit of effort to get an anywhere near acceptable fit. Obviously I lost some surface detail as a result so I'll rescribe what I can.

Note the unpainted rear of the IP's will not be visible once the coaming is fitted!

Next I need to sort the underside - I predict more filling and sanding...

Matt

• Like 5

On 8/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, matto21 said:

I spent many happy hours at the end of the runway in Valley with my dad in the 90's and in those days the Hawks were all Red and White, or Red, White and Blue so I also picked up these decals so I can do something more familiar and nostalgic:

Nice work Matt.  I think the resin seats and brass pitot tube are definitely worthwhile additions.  I’ve a fondness for the classic red, white and grey trainer scheme too - although I’ve always thought the hawk looked good in wraparound camo.  Enjoying this.

• Like 3

Thank you @Fritag, much appreciated!

Painting has now commenced. I'm using Mr Hobby H1 for the white, and Tamiya X-7 for the red. The blue will probably be Tamiya X-3.

Shortly after starting painting the red, it was clear I was going to have to stop. I used a different airbrush to normal, and experienced loads of overspray. So this explains the random nature of the painting in the next picture!

The patch of white on the intake is to act as a primer so the red isn't darker here due to the filler being applied at the wingroot.

Matt

• Like 9

Lots of masking...

...and I have this (still managed to get overspray where I didn't want it)...

I actually added some X-14 Sky Blue to the X-3 as it was too dark.

I now need to let it fully dry for a few days before doing any more masking.

Matt

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

After an age, a bit of an update!

Never mind the fuel shortage, its the masking tape shortage in this house I'm worried about...

Worth the effort though because the result looks decent in my opinion. 

It's Tamiya X-7 Red in case anyone is interested!

Thanks 

Matt

• Like 23

Hi, you have a lovely smooth paint finish which l am having trouble at the moment with mine. Which thinners do you use please and is it really thinned paint ?

Regards

Robert

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, matto21 said:

so I also picked up these decals

I do hope your sheet is in better registry than mine.  

Great progress on the Hawk!, she looks lovely in that scheme. 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

This was meant to be a quick build - the deadline being end of October. I finally dragged it back onto the bench this afternoon. 

Apart from the decals, the main job left to do is get all of the undercarriage parts assembled and painted. This isn't as easy as it could be due to poor fit, an abundance of flash and the aforementioned sprue attachment points - thanks Revell!

Try to contain your excitement at this photo...

The gear bays also need painting, which involved another mammoth masking job. 

Hopefully I can start on the decals soon...

Matt

• Like 6

Any progress is good progress Matt, and you certainly don't want to rush this beauty!

She looks awesome with some decals going on.

Re the ejection seat triangles, once you have worked out which type, and if you can't source any yourself, let me know and I'll have a dig into my decal "library". I'm sure I could help!

Terry

• Like 1