M25 / M26 Dragon Wagon tractor unit chassis - wheelbase dimension?

bootneck

Hello all,

I want to have a go at scratchbuilding an M26 tractor unit that has been converted for civilian use.  I have found some plan and profile drawings of an M26 chassis but they don't have any dimensions with them.  Wikipedia gives the length but I found differences on lengths previously.  Some quotes include the tow hooks etc., on the back, on the front, or not at all;  so the wheelbase has become my goto measurement.

can anyone help please?

Or, If anyone has one of the kits, in 1:72 or 1:35 etc., then I would be happy to be provided with the measurements, including which scale kit they are from, so that I can use those dimensions.

cheers,
Mike

• bootneck changed the title to M25 / M26 Dragon Wagon tractor unit chassis - wheelbase dimension?

Hi Gaz,

thanks for the offer of help, I do appreciate it.  All I am after is the following from the tractor unit:

any measurement between two points in straight line.  i.e. centre of front axle/wheel to centre of either rear axle/wheel (as long as I know which one!).

A photo of the underside, showing the axles, diff and prop shafts etc.  If that could be taken straight on then I could use that for sizes and positioning etc.

Your cab is all closed up so probably not easy to see how the internals of the cab look, but perhaps you took photos earlier?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi, Bootneck. 

IIRC, there are some 1/70th scale plans for the Dragon Wagon in the Shep Paine book "How To Build Armoured Fighting Vehicles". 

Hope this helps. 

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

Hi Mike here you go.

The measurements on the rule in the picture below show 102 and 149mm from the CL of the front axle to the rear 2, but when measured directly between the axles underneath with a vernier it came out at 101 and 148mm.

spacer.png

Not sure if this helps at all, a bit of paralax error.

Lateral measurement from outside of one chassis rail to the other is 25mm.

Total length from front face of front bumper to rear face of chassis (where tow hook is mounted) 210mm.

spacer.png

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the interior but it's pretty basic inside. The Tamiya instructions available through the scalemates website link are pretty good, and this chap might have some useful pictures for you.

https://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2011/11/m26-and-m26a1-dragon-wagon-tamiya-trakz.html

HTH, Good luck

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Hi Gaz,

thanks very much for these images and those dimensions will e really helpful.  That last view is so square-on that I'm sure I can scale it down and use it as a plan.

All the best,

Mike