1/72 Revell B-17G Flying Fortress 42-97265 "Hell's Angel"

Well after showing me that first photograph, I was a little disappointed that you hadn't modelled the damaged nose. That little point aside, you have shown us a lovely model. I note that you have correctly painted the oil streaking and how it gets blown away by the vents aft of each engine. So many modellers show oil coming from those outlets. Your construction is excellent too, as even in NMF I can see no seam lines. That pleases me because I always seem to leave traces! 

That's very nice and having both the Airfix and Revell kits. I agree Airfix is a little better. But it's much of a muchness. 

Both stand alone as decent representations of the B17. 

Excellent build. I agree with you, I built this kit a few years ago and remember being very impressed with how it went together. Lots of internal detail that is forever lost once the fuselage halves are joined too. 

You've put a lot of effort on the weathering, and that's what makes your model stand out.

I much prefer worn & dirty surfaces over a new and shiny look!

I agree that the Airfix B-17 is better than the Revell offering (with the Lancaster, it's the other way around for me!).

What type of paint did you use for the NMF? I like the weathering effects you created.

In my opinion the anti-glare panels are too brown-ish, shouldn't they be olive drab?

Lovely ! This looks superb. The weathering is very well executed.!  I've made this kit and yes it's not perfection but I don't mind. I , like yourself , enjoyed the build and learnt a lot about The B17 and the correct weathering patterns. 

Well done! 

14 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Jason.. Little Miss Mischief! ... 

That was my first choice, but now I've been thinking about doing an Israeli bird for the Suez Operation in 1956. In that case, however, it would need the offset waist positions, I believe (this kit doesn't have those, although it does have the "Cheyenne' tail; the Airfix kit would be better for this version as it has the offset waist positions).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys! 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:24 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

Well after showing me that first photograph, I was a little disappointed that you hadn't modelled the damaged nose. That little point aside, you have shown us a lovely model. I note that you have correctly painted the oil streaking and how it gets blown away by the vents aft of each engine. So many modellers show oil coming from those outlets. Your construction is excellent too, as even in NMF I can see no seam lines. That pleases me because I always seem to leave traces! 

I wish lol, modelling a damaged nose would be far beyond my modelling skills. It's somewhat unfortunate that the mistake about the vents still occurs, but to be fair, having exhaust pass around the vents instead of from inside is a somewhat subtle distinction that can easily be missed. 

20 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

You've put a lot of effort on the weathering, and that's what makes your model stand out.

I much prefer worn & dirty surfaces over a new and shiny look!

I agree that the Airfix B-17 is better than the Revell offering (with the Lancaster, it's the other way around for me!).

What type of paint did you use for the NMF? I like the weathering effects you created.

In my opinion the anti-glare panels are too brown-ish, shouldn't they be olive drab?

The metallic was Mr. Hobby Super Metallic SM206 Super Chrome.

In hindsight, the anti-glare is a little too brown, I agree. I was trying to go for what some of the color photos from the time show olive drab to be, like on this B-17F. 

jTfyBUt.jpg

I couldn't find much of a consensus or proper conversion for B-17 antiglare olive drab colors either so I picked the closest Tamiya paint I had on hand. In my eyes, I kind of preferred a more brown hue for aesthetic purposes. It certainly could have been more green though. 

• Like 1

Brilliant!  I just love it!

The general grime and staining looks perfect to me - among the best B-17's I've seen in the scale.

:clap2::clap2:

Thanks for the comments about the kit, in comparison with Airfix.

I have Hasegawa's B-17G in my stash and will be quite content to build it one day. 🙂

Fantastic B-17G with a lovely finish, and nice to see a 381st BG ship from Ridgewell. Used to explore the place back in the 90s. Still got some of the bits found there, including some 1944 dated Coca Cola bottles. If I remember correctly, the only 8th heavy bomb group to stay in Essex throughout the war.

Steve