Narvik Class Destroyer

Foxbat

This is one of the later modified versions of the Type 1936A (known to the Allies as the Narvik class) destroyer. There were seven ships in the class, five of them surviving the war. One of those five has also been kitted by Heller, depicting her when she had been taken by the French Navy as a war prize and renamed as the Marceau. Oddly, that is the only other ship in my stash :)

This is the Revell re-pop of the Matchbox kit, but I thought it would be OK to build it now as I have half a dozen other kits lined up for the Matchbox GB.

Box:

spacer.png

Sprues - there's not too many parts, so I'm not scared yet.

spacer.png

Instructions and painting guide. Some of the schemes look wonderful but would take more than 24 hours just to paint. The one in step 23 only has 2 main colours though, so think I can manage that.

spacer.png

I'm committed now, let's do the thing :)

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Great choice - a ship for a Blitzbuild would scare me ..... shipless. 😉

Three of the four paint schemes gave me the heebie jeebies, but I think I can just about manage two main colours and a bit of detailing. Previous Blitzbuilds have taught me that you can get an amazing amount of construction done in a few hours but then the paint and decals eat the time so the simpler the better on that front. 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2

And we're off...

My walking group have a weekly photography theme, one week was religious buildings. The North East Model Centre is a converted chapel but they weren't convinced when I asked for double points :D 

spacer.png

All four gun turrets on a 1 penny coin. How on earth did I used to knock these together with the naked eye?

spacer.png

Having got the hull together and painted it was time for brunch. Cumberland sausage, smoky bacon and home made chutney slapped in a couple of buns and another gallon of coffee. Champion. 

spacer.png

Thet're just turrests without guns, so that's been sorted. They're still very small but not very far away.

spacer.png

On to the supstructure, and the first two bits are built. The right hand one with the boats will go the other way up and have lots more Stuff (notice how I just slip those nautical terms in like I'm an old salt?) added topside later.

spacer.png

I wafted a bit of paint around, then applied my secret weapon: Vallejo light grey ink. It is designed for weathering Mecha and is possibly the greatest invention in paint ever - useful in so many areas for bringing out detail where blue or brown would be wrong and black would be too stark and toy-like. 

spacer.png

Finally for now, I have a little musical accompanyment. It could only be one album :D 

spacer.png

More soon.

Andy

• Like 6

More progress. The superstructure sub assemblies are just about complete.

spacer.png

Gun turrets and gubbins (assorted, for the use of) stuck to the hulland painted, and some painting done on the superstructure bits. They need the grey wash over the grey bits, but have had a black one over the funnel tops and AA guns.

spacer.png

There will now be a short intermission while I recharge the camera battery and pop out to see a new local band. Aren't bank holidays exciting? 

Andy

• Like 4

Well, that band turned into a bit of a session so no more modelling last night. This has therefore turned into two 12 hour sessions - think it's 11 hours and 45 minutes since part 1 elapsed so just squeezing within the rules.

No pics of breakfast, but here's a little tune while I do something worth photographing.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat

20 hours ago, Foxbat said:

And we're off...

My walking group have a weekly photography theme, one week was religious buildings. The North East Model Centre is a converted chapel but they weren't convinced when I asked for double points :D 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Andy - Great picture of one of my favourite model shops - well worth the 4 hour round trip in the days before the pandemic.  Amazing looking muffins too - I'm starving now... 😛

BTW - smashing progress on the build too :thumbsup:

All the best - Steve

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Andy - Great picture of one of my favourite model shops - well worth the 4 hour round trip in the days before the pandemic.  Amazing looking muffins too - I'm starving now... 😛

BTW - smashing progress on the build too :thumbsup:

All the best - Steve

Cheers Steve, always great to have you along for a Blitzbuild.

A little more progress, she's looking kind of ship shape now. Need to add the anchors, some detail parts on top of the bridge and the main mast then it's just detail painting to finish. Have to say, anyone who builds in this scale on a regular basis has my unbridled admiration. Some of the tiny bits I've had to contend with make my regular builds feel like a breeze.

Note that the light grey wash is indeed much lighter today now it is dry.

spacer.png

Not sure that launch should be white as it sticks out like a sore thumb, but there's no call out for it in the insructions and it adds a bit of interest so it's staying that colour (well, apart from the brown bit, and the weathering :D

Andy

• Like 1

Construction is complete with only one minor wobble and an easy to fix breakage - the main mast stay needs to be trimmed to length but what length isn't obvious and there's nowhere for the bottom of the legs to go, so I inevitably snapped it trimming off 'just a little more'. Repalced the snapped bit with one of the earlier offcuts and hid the join behind the boat crane so job's a gud 'un :)

Grab some food while the glue is curing, then it's on to the last round of paint.

spacer.png

Andy

Aaaand, she's done. Quick and dirty but then this is a Blitzbuild. There's a couple more pics in the Gallery. I'm off to get scrubbed up, then out to see another band. Blitz builds and live music, got to love a bank holiday weekend :)

spacer.png

Andy

• Like 5

Looking really good, and such a nice change to see food I actually recognise  !

@BIG X, please be careful about loose talk admiring other people's muffins, it can be a slippery slope in a relationship  :giggle:

Mrs Jockney has never quite forgotten my admiring a ladies baps in a cafe when ordering a breakfast !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2