Aeroflot current blue

I'm planning an Aeroflot A380 (I know, the story of my life. Yet another What-if! ) and have the decals on the way from PAS decals.

So I checked the instructions sheet in my Zvezda 767-300 (my thinking was that a Russian model manufacturer should be able to get the correct information from a Russian airline, or should I not assume?) and it says to use Humbrol 15 for the blue. Thing is, I got some Humbrol 15 for painting my BA Landor 747.

So I decided to compare a BA 767 in both the Landor and Chatham livery and the current Aeroflot livery. I decided that using the same aircraft would be as fair as possible comparison of them as all 3 blues will subject to the same shapes and forms and shadows.

I have come to the conclusion that Humbrol 15 (Landor) is way too dark and that the current BA blue is close enough for me to use some Fiat Capri Blue from Halfords.

But then I thought (keep getting into trouble doing that) would an Aeroflot A380 be some form of hybrid Transaero/Aeroflot scheme as if it was real the A380 would have gone to Transaero in March 2015 before the takeover in October 2015. So that's another blue to consider!

Any thoughts peeps?

Maybe a better colour match for either the Aeroflot blue or the Landor blue?

Humbrol 15 is a better match for the earlier BA Negus blue than Landor Blue.  A few months ago Turbofan recommended Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue for Landor Blue and judging from his beautiful 757 it's spot on.

Fiat Capri blue is spot on for the current BA Chatham blue.

I've always though the current Aeroflot blue is a bit darker than the current BA blue. I've never painted the livery myself but I would probably use Tamiya X-4 as the starting point.

At the end of the day it's your model and if you're happy with a particular colour that's all that matters.

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Turbofan recommended Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue for Landor Blue and judging from his beautiful 757 it's spot on.

Agreed. Looks very spot on.

I've always thought the current Aeroflot blue is a bit darker than the current BA blue

When I looked at pictures on Airliners.net I got the impression that it was the other way around with the Aeroflot blue ever so slightly lighter and bluer, but only just.

At the end of the day it's your model and if you're happy with a particular colour that's all that matters.

True.

That said I don't want to do a naff job with glaring inaccuracies.

How does this sound? Tamiya X-3 on the Landor 747 and Humbrol 15 on the Aeroflot A380? And forget the Transaero hybrid scheme?

I've never modelled the Aeroflot livery and I don't do "What Ifs" so I can't really comment. However the last time I exhibited at a model show (remember them?) I had several entertaining conversations with members of the "What If" SIG who were at the adjacent stand. Their models were amazing, in many cases backed up by serious historical research and as one of them said, "Nobody can prove us wrong"!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I've never modelled the Aeroflot livery and I don't do "What Ifs" so I can't really comment. However the last time I exhibited at a model show (remember them?) I had several entertaining conversations with members of the "What If" SIG who were at the adjacent stand. Their models were amazing, in many cases backed up by serious historical research and as one of them said, "Nobody can prove us wrong"!

Kudos to you for being accurate in your modelling. It really shows in your fine creations.

I too am trying to make sure that all of my fleet have some historical background to make them plausible.

So, thread drift aside.

3 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Tamiya X-3 on the Landor 747 and Humbrol 15 on the Aeroflot A380?

Wadda ya think? As a non-whiffer your input is very relevant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, Abandoned Project said:

Thanks @Doom3r for the link. Maybe we should have a similar airline colours thread here? @phil1 did a very nice 777 using Revell 54 and the blue looks right on that.

I nearly forgot about that one! I found the Revell 54 a good match for Aeroflot Blue and British airways current. It's gloss which I know is off putting for some unless your like me and you like the factory fresh look! 

Phil

• Thanks 1