Matchbox 1/72 Fairey Seafox *Finished*

TommyF

This is my entry for the High Wing GB. An early 1980s Matchbox Fairey Seafox in fetching two tone sprues! This will be the first Matchbox kit and first biplane since returning to modelling in my 50s. I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing any rigging but I'll see how it goes. There are two painting options; a light/dark grey 702 squadron detached to HMS Asturias, 1942 or a silver HMS Arethusa 713 Catapult Flight based in Kalafrana, Malta, 1939. Looking forward to reading up about this aircraft and it's WW2 role.

51403154997_b4669921e1_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
test
  • Like 12

Oh this looks like an interesting project Tommy. Welcome to the Matchbox club.... ‼️😁

I remember reading (somewhere) that the Matchbox kit designers put the extra effort into their biplane products as they reckoned that, while kids were knocking the Spitfires and stukas together, it was the keen modeller who would be tackling a biplane build. 

So good luck with this little beauty, should be great 👍

• Like 1

Sshh, I have four that I picked up real cheap and will just use the nose for the engines of my Vac Short Mercury.

Having said that I have made this kit a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. Good fit and really looks the part 😊

• Haha 1

Thank you for your welcomes and comments - very interesting. A little bit of progress, the photo doesn't do it justice. Had to give the pilot some cardboard cushions as was seriously low down in the cockpit! Have a week off work so should get a move on now. Lovely little kit - has a nice feel about it. 

51426494293_a58008a27b_c.jpg

• Like 3

First biplane (for 40+ years) minor traumas aside - strut breakages, getting the wing alignments just so - it's slowing coming together. I'm surprised how big (large wing area) it has compared to a Bf109 for example. The float assembly is almost done (out of shot) so should be mostly there - apart from canopies and various easily snapable items - soon. For painting I'm going for the aluminium option. The decals for this version are much brighter than the camouflage ones.

51429388428_62e0a9bd02_c.jpg

• Like 6

A nice choice of one of Matchbox's lovely biplane kit. Not sure, I would classify it as ancient, though. I remember Maurice Landi from Matchbox bringing it to an IPMS branch meeting in Sheffield that I came down to specially from Leeds in 1982. Or does that just make me old?. Now the Hotspur and Bristol 138 I built for the Frog GB, they are ancient 😄

Reminds me of this in terms of making comparisons.

Edited by Mr T
  • Haha 2

Recently sprayed model biplanes - like small children - should not be left unattended 😬 Not a hint of a breeze when I left the Seafox outside - half a hour later a gust of wind had catapulted it to the stone patio 😟 Upper wings are off, multi strut damage, tailplane detached, call the repair crew...!

51482450176_ccf3e8dd8a_c.jpg

• Sad 7

Ouch! I bet you were a bit sick after that. Never trust the weather, every time we have a BBQ, I can guarantee that despite it being a still day, when I want to light the coals a strong breeze will spring up to defeat my attempts.

I hope it will repair , most of the structs look intact .

• TommyF changed the title to Matchbox 1/72 Fairey Seafox
  • TommyF changed the title to Matchbox 1/72 Fairey Seafox *Finished*