RF-4E 2-6504 Islamic Iranian Air Force (IRIAF)

fmichelsen

For this build, i'm going to make a Iranian RF-4E. I actually bought the kit some time ago because I thought I'd make it as depicted on the box, but I did'nt like the look af the decals from the set, and the a friend of mine, said I could do it in an iranian scheme, so why not  
The kit it self looks good, but since I never had build a revell phantom before, I'm listening to good tips on avoiding mistakes with the kit :) 

I'm so looking forward to get cracking with this one, I do like the look of the iranian colors on this aircraft :) First some pictures ;) 

The box. I do like the "tigermeet" look. Maybe I'll make one some day :)
y4mu0Y0D70V8x5kFUSlIzGalFxTdETov6ayjazgJ

All the sprues, which are in some sort of dark green? 

y4mZZ7C9jYsrq_ZMLY9aG9Hpf3QRXs_SHPrc_H3y

The original decals. (I'll still be using the stencils from this one)

y4mZutta9hrELaCbWxUzGq7wO6qhwTT33JRp1c7j

The plane which I'll be building. On this picture the underside is black, but I've been told that it is not the case, and therefore I'm painting it Light Grey - FS  36622 :) 

y4mR0HHQ0JFXnzoi0WQy1oNUX1mwSIhAqtVoKR2x

The decals for making it iranian (or Spanish or american :)

y4mckYE8y0L1Umwq_F3RZaSO6TOk5FSj4FrCsGn-

And the vast amount of aftermarket part ;) 

y4msyRTeqQ6oCayTTPFSMSb9he_uYainC-mYTJlR

• Like 7

2 hours ago, fmichelsen said:

On this picture the underside is black, but I've been told that it is not the case, and therefore I'm painting it Light Grey - FS  36622

The instructions are right, the undersides of this aircraft were indeed painted black, I built it in 1/48 a few years ago and checked on the scheme and it is correct, I can't remember the specific reason for the black paint though.

Just been back through my build thread and done some more digging on our black bellied friend and it is 100% correct. The airframe was one of a number of what are referred to as UKI's (UnKnown Iranians) which were Phantoms loaned to the IIAF by the US but not officially on their books, this airframe was actually an RF-4C but was re-engined with the later J-79's of the E's and had some seriously good stuff added to it for it's use in Iran. That use involved incursions into Soviet airspace (among other countries) and that is why she had the black belly for night ops. Tom Cooper (almost certainly the best source for info on Iranian and other Middle Eastern air forces) shared info on her with me during my build and is mentioned in this discussion of the subject over on ARC;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/177111-iranian-rf-4s/

Hope this is helpful and I look forward to your build.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Just been back through my build thread and done some more digging on our black bellied friend and it is 100% correct. The airframe was one of a number of what are referred to as UKI's (UnKnown Iranians) which were Phantoms loaned to the IIAF by the US but not officially on their books, this airframe was actually an RF-4C but was re-engined with the later J-79's of the E's and had some seriously good stuff added to it for it's use in Iran. That use involved incursions into Soviet airspace (among other countries) and that is why she had the black belly for night ops. Tom Cooper (almost certainly the best source for info on Iranian and other Middle Eastern air forces) shared info on her with me during my build and is mentioned in this discussion of the subject over on ARC;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/177111-iranian-rf-4s/

Hope this is helpful and I look forward to your build.

I am curious as to how anyone can claim it is 100% correct without a photo. ;)
The ARC thread appears to be somewhat 'phantastic' to me, claiming that the Iranians received RF-4Cs (permantly) and even used RF-4B parts. Also, the claim that the true identity of 2-6504 is unknown is simply incorrect. 2-6504 is 72-0269, the last of the first batch of Iranian RF-4Es. All airframes from that batch have the square nose profile btw.
While Mr. Cooper might be quite knowledgeable on Middle East affairs I would not take his words for gospel. I have yet to see him present any proof of many of his claims, and I have found conflicting information in several passages in his books. That said, the Iranians probably received some of the FY78 RF-4E airframes despite the order being cancelled. However, it is far more probable that they were used as spares and not as complete airworthy airframes.
As for RF-4Cs in the IIAF/IRIAF I believe they often get mixed up with the well-known two RF-4Cs loaned to the IDF/AF in 1970-71 (69-0369 and 69-0370, both were returned to the 10 TRW).

Jens

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jens said:

The ARC thread appears to be somewhat 'phantastic' to me

I agree that there is some very "interesting" information put forward regarding both IIAF and IRIAF F-4's, especially the bit on the ARC post about RF-4B parts being used. There was a great deal of secrecy surrounding the RF-4's use in Iran at the time so a lack of photographic evidence isn't surprising but you are correct in that I shouldn't have said the info was 100% correct, even subjects where photos do exist can be far from clear. But in this instance I am inclined to trust Tom, I don't believe that he would have told me if he didn't believe it to be correct.

• Like 1

Wow, that created something to think about :D  I'll have to decide on what to do later, right now I'll research a bit more. I do agree, black belly would look awesome, but I'll have to wait and see what I'm going to do :D 
I have started on the kit, and so far there has been a bit of flash, but the parts fits good :)

• Like 1

Do it pink. Theres no evidence that there was never a pink one  😊

Looking forward to your build, its a great scheme you have chosen on a cool aircraft. 
Are the panel lines recessed or raised on the revell kit? - its hard to see.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Do it pink. Theres no evidence that there was never a pink one  😊

Looking forward to your build, its a great scheme you have chosen on a cool aircraft. 
Are the panel lines recessed or raised on the revell kit? - its hard to see.

haha - yes why not do it in pink :);) 
Yes, I really like the look of it :) It is with recessed panellines, and so far the cockpit has many fine details! hopefully I'll some pictures in soon :) 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:36 PM, modelling minion said:

...But in this instance I am inclined to trust Tom, I don't believe that he would have told me if he didn't believe it to be correct.

I agree with you that he probably would not have said it if he didn't believe it to be correct. That just doesn't necessarily make it correct though.

Anyway, as for a black-bellied Iranian RF-4E, I'd say go ahead. I would make for an interesting - and possible - scheme.

Jens

• Like 1

After a lot of thoughts, and after a friend of mine took contact to one of his sources, I'm going with the FS 36622 underbelly :) 

After some "googleling" I found this picture of the 2-6504 - so here is a link to what i'm trying to achieve ;)

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/1123739/2-6504-iran-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-rf-4e-phantom-ii

Now back to the building process - which is going good by the way - photos of the cockpit coming soon :D

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pictures of the cockpit (without chairs :) ) I'm Stunned by the amount of details, so many dials :D And in 1/72 :) 
Cockpit is painted in AK real colours FS 36231, dials painted black, detail painted with white, red and green. So far so good🤠

Next up is closing to front part of the aircraft, then do the resin seats :) 
y4myFuxoH37YvwV8tI1W7Fm9T7Y8C2_0MQiO5AgI

• Like 5

More has been made! I have assemble the fuselage, and glued the cockpit to it. Until then, everything have had good fit. But it ended there, I had to remove quite a lot of the fuselage with a file, but it turned out fine! I have then painted the inside of the airintakes white, both the one on the fuselage, and the other. After going through some photos I could see it variates a bit how deep the colour goes in to the intakes, so I just chose to do mine where it do not go very far in. On the fuselage parts, it goes a bit further in. 

y4mOlSvFxVN1hfi0imtSSsGwMa8SsfE9l0xZFdaJ

y4mhsw3d3ktTQvxzQwmvdMBJ3KZGsnDD0yxz_llx

y4momp_yPcb24nphUb42ZbCw7ZVBaYJVWx_xEoGy 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1