Scania flatbed trailer - finished

JeroenS

Amazing work sir.  I'm constantly amazed at your efficiency.  To do something to the detail level you are doing in 24 hours would likely take me 2 weeks (or more) of actual benchtime...and even then it wouldn't be nearly as well done. :cheers: 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Amazing work sir.  I'm constantly amazed at your efficiency.  To do something to the detail level you are doing in 24 hours would likely take me 2 weeks (or more) of actual benchtime...and even then it wouldn't be nearly as well done. :cheers: 

Thanks Chris... it would normally take me longer too! That's why I love the blitz builds, it does provide focus!

I'm calling it for day 2. 

20210829215515-d9e6d91f-me.jpg

Total time spent: 19 hours and 15 minutes. There should be enough time left to finish it, providing I can spend it! Let's see what tomorrow brings. 

Anyway, the chassis is done and in 1 piece. There should be a rack for a spare wheel but the parts for it are not correct, I'll have to add some white plastic. 

Front all hooked up. 

20210829215517-2303ae2a-me.jpg

Rear end waiting on the "bumper". 

20210829215518-1623b486-me.jpg

The load bed is exactly how I like it, the 3 areas between the strips will be filled with wood. 

20210829215513-617ad42a-me.jpg

It needs a dab of filler here and there. 

20210829215520-c73aafab-me.jpg

Even if I don't get to finish it, I'm really happy with the result. I don't think it would have gotten built in Nordic II GB, I'm sure the truck will take its sweet time to build and you always end up doing other stuff. Now I can match the truck's load bed to this one, they should make a great combo. 

Thanks for watching and hopefully until tomorrow!

• Like 5

And we're off to the races again. I figure I can split my 4 hours and 45 minutes between 2 sessions, separated by dinner. 

20210830165658-a950cefd-me.jpg

I'm going to have to think about my priorities. I'd like to add some bits and pieces to the trailer, which leaves me with a better trailer, instead of rushing it. I'm not sure about the colour I'd like, it will be a mix so if I can get something I like I'll try to start paint as well.

• Like 1

Dinner's just about ready so that's an hour and 15, meaning 3 and half hours left. 

I've done some minor updates and repairs on the flatbed, it needs sanding after dinner. Also, I made a frame to add to the back of the trailer. It will hold lights, license plate and such. 

20210830181225-09c7fd7f-me.jpg

The triangles go on the sides, the squares go behind the frame but since these will be white I'm doing that after painting the frame. 

We're ready for primer!

20210830193113-53b6c603-me.jpg

So this is the plan: I'll go outside and spray that large slab of white plastic with Tamiya's fine primer from the can which dries in no time. After that, I'll figure out the main colour which should come out as some light blue-ish colour.

Then it's time to fire up the spray booth. Prime the chassis and rims (Mr Color 1500, grey and black respectively). Paint the load bed in the blue colour. Paint the chassis (black, or maybe nato black). Then get a brush and paint the rims (Vallejo dull alu) which is easy to brush paint. 

Then it looks like I have time to glue in the coffee stirrers. No time for weathering but that's fine, I think I'll add some more parts to the trailer chassis later on, like the spare wheel rack, a box and the protectors on the side. 

• Like 3

Well, here's state of play around cut-off time. 

20210830220048-a50c8ddf-me.jpg

What you see is rims in black primer, chassis in black/grey colour and the load bed in white primer (I was going to use the light grey primer but the can was empty, doh). Anyway there's primer on, doesn't matter. Just a tad bit harder to see which parts you already sprayed!🙂 

The rims are where I want them, just need to brush the dull alu which is a 5 minute job. 

The chassis is 2 parts german grey (XF-63) and 1 part black (XF-1). I didn't want to go all black, I want something else every now and then. I'm happy with it, it's a nice colour. Mudguards are going to be painted black, of course. 

Here it is, up close. You can see the difference with the black primer on the rims. 

20210830220049-80b02825-me.jpg

This is the new rear of the trailer which I added this afternoon. The holes will be filled in with white pieces of card (they're painted, I just used the white primer for that) from the back, after the blue is on. 

20210830220047-eb2478f2-me.jpg

Aah, the blue. Right, let me tell you what happened. I was trying to get a nice mix (between light blue, flat blue and white), using drops in a small dish, and finally I  was happy with a simple mix of 2 parts white and 1 part flat blue (XF-8). Time to make more. I added all of my white that I had left, it was 3 ml. Not much but I figured it would be enough, because you know, I was going to add 6 ml of the blue. Which I did. 

NO you idiot! The ratio was the other way around!!! Aaargh. Now I had to add 9 ml of white which I didn't have! And I didn't want to settle for a different shade of blue. So there you have it. No colour. 

But: I'm still a very happy camper! I can finish this baby this week and hook it up to the truck for Nordic II GB. 

Thanks @JOCKNEY for hosting another fun Blitz Build and thanks all for tagging along. See you next time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• JeroenS changed the title to Scania flatbed trailer - no colour, no gallery

Hi guys, I'll just keep on posting here, it's as good a place as any. Paint is finished, I bought some white today so I could mix my blue. I think it came out really nice. I gave it all some clear and I painted the rims as well. Then I cut a bunch of coffee stirrers to size and glued them on. 

20210831214721-4470c18b-me.jpg

Rear end looks good too. 

20210831214720-54490fcd-me.jpg

Only just discovered I spilled some glue on the center plate. Hm. I don't much feel like a respray, I think I will strategically weather that spot 🙂 

• Like 4

A little progress. 

On 31/08/2021 at 21:51, JeroenS said:

I don't much feel like a respray

Of course, I did a respray.... 

20210901215548-42e11b44-me.jpg

I added some decals (still a little wrinkly). 

And I gave the wooden stirrers a first couple of washes. The wood responds to the acrylic Vallejo washes very well. 

20210901215547-20a5452f-me.jpg

I did light grey first, then a thinned down green wash. I'll do more later. I'll probably dirty up the parts of the chassis I'll be unable to reach once the load bed is on. Then call it a day on this one after adding lights and glueing on the load bed. I think I'll leave the wheels unattached at this point so I can weather the tyres later. I'll probably weather the rest of the trailer together with the truck once I know how I want it all to look. 

• Like 5

• JeroenS changed the title to Scania flatbed trailer - finishing up

Hi guys, this is as far as I'm going with the trailer for now. Chassis and load bed are glued together but the wheels are just dryfitted. I can take them of for final weathering which I'll do together with the truck. The hoses for the truck coupling will be fitted to the towbar later on. 

20210902221221-b155b6eb-me.jpg

20210902221222-0d505d8a-me.jpg

20210902221223-a4cc6da4-me.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• JeroenS changed the title to Scania flatbed trailer - finished