Scania flatbed trailer - finished

JeroenS

I just saw in my calendar that it's Blitzbuild weekend! Oh my, I had totally forgotten about it. The weather is not great this weekend (yay!) but earlier today I heard my wife say not to worry, there's still plenty to do (in our new house). 

Damn!

Well, I'm going to try and get a build started anyway, we'll see who has important stuff to do!

I think I will build the trailer for the Scania 142 I will be building for Nordic II. Just to get in the mood for that one!

• Like 2

• JeroenS changed the title to Scania dropside trailer (will probably become a flatbed)

I've saved myself half an hour for tomorrow by sorting out the sprues I'll need for this weekend's build. 

I'm building the trailer from this kit: 

20200613215912-d7b530d8.jpg

And there's a right pile of plastic in the box!

So after looking through the instructions I know I'll be needing all this. Italeri was smart enough to have the trailer stuff all on the same sprue. The trailer is almost 30 cm long by the way, the whole thing is going to take up some space in the cabinet. 

20210827160733-84c3c4bf-me.jpg

There's the load bed and the dropsides (I don't know whether I'll be using those). Then, all the parts for the trailer's chassis. I intend to do some detailing in the form of air and electricity.

Regarding the wheels, I have KFS hubs especially for this trailer, and KFS generic rims which I can also use for other builds... So I don't know if I'll be using these rims, I should also be able to use and modify the kit rims so that they take the KFS hubs. In any case I will definitely not use the kit hubs, they're just wrong. Sadly, Italeri do not differentiate between drive hubs and non-drive hubs, which would add to a build if they did. 

Anyway, I'm all set! I'll make an early start tomorrow morning to get some time in before the missus wakes up and puts me to work 😉 

• Like 5

Hi everybody. So, I actually set my alarm for 6:00, woke up a few minutes before that which always pleases the person on the other side of the bed, I freshened up, grabbed a cuppa and here we are!

20210828062514-2ab95c4b-me.jpg

I should be able to get a good few hours in before anyone realizes where I am 😉 

OK, so what I'm aiming for in Nordic II is something like this: 

20210828062515-4e35c18d.jpg

You can see that the trailer is a flatbed, although there does seem to be a "footboard". Also, the stance is quite low compared to the truck itself so let's see if I'll be able to replicate that. Maybe the trailer wheels are smaller but I don't have smaller wheels so it will have to come from the chassis. I don't know if it can be lowered, but it's not that important. 

See you later!

• Like 3

It's pretty smooth sailing so far. I started with assembling airtank and axles which are 2-part affairs so they can get some drying time before cleaning up the seams. 

20210828075316-8b112b4b-me.jpg

I have the rear axle assembly done, and the front bogie. However, I haven't yet figured out whether it should still be able to move on the finished model. As you can see I have it at an angle right now and I haven't glued anything yet except the part that connects the chassis rails. The bogie has 4 parts, 2 of which are rings which make that you can move it, it's all quite intricate and they even made a couple of detailed drawings. The instructions did not tell me to not glue the parts, but now I'm thinking, "why all these parts if you're going to glue it together anyway? Why the inner rings?". I guess I'll end up glueing, I'll have to see if I can have a little bit of an angle. I don't see how I'll be able to lower everything so I'll just leave that. 

• Like 3

So, the wheel situation. I had to decide whether or not to use the kit wheels with the KFS hubs or not. In order for that to work the kit rims need to be modified. I'd never done that before, but it would save my KFS rims for other builds (I have some early Italeri kits which come with hard plastic tyres and not so nice rims). 

20210828090446-c2930b90-me.jpg

Nowadays Italeri kits come with standard wheels and tyres, these are the grey ones at the top. Each rim has 2 parts, a smaller ring which is always the same and a different piece for each type of wheel. It's pretty clever, although you get the same wheels on each truck brand which is not right most times. 

The KFS rims are generic but there are different hubs for each type of axle and truck brand. Well, actually the hubs you see here are generic trailer hubs. 

But they do look much nicer than the standard Italeri ones. 

20210828090447-1fc14e39-me.jpg

I have quite a few of these standard rims so I could afford to kill a few in the process. As it turned out, it was quite easy to modify the Italeri rims. I needed to drill out the center to a width of 11 mm. 

I don't have 11 mm drill bits but I used a 10 mm speed drill and afterwards enlarged the holes carefully using the hobby knife. 

20210828091510-606493df-me.jpg

This looks good enough for a trailer, so I'll be saving the KFS rims for another build. 

20210828090445-aa7e3e48-me.jpg

Just need to do 3 more of these. 

• Like 2

And here we are. 

20210828095412-f281b0ae-me.jpg

Next time I'll use a 12 mm drill on the inner rims, it's what I ended up with now anyway. There's still enough plastic left to glue the rims together and there's a little wiggle room for centering the hub. 

Just need to modify the axles a tad now. The pin needs to be cut off, but a little stub should be left to center the hub over the guiding hole it has. 

20210828095411-91f4d286-me.jpg

That's me signing off for now, I've put 4 hours on the clock and I'll be back in late afternoon / early evening for another session. Have fun with your builds!

• Like 3

I'm back! We called done on the odd jobs for today (got quite a few of those nasty procrastination-inducing ones done). Some more tomorrow, but for now I'm allowed to play 🙂 

20210828162234-59d5be97-me.jpg

So let's get back to those axles. 

• Like 1

Sorry, crappy photo, this... Another 3 hours in and I'm taking a little break. 

20210828193020-c0980a4c-me.jpg

Both axles are done, the rear one is already attached to the chassis and air lines for the breaks in place. Next up is finishing the front bogie. 

• Like 1

Brake's over. Well, break... I painted the other side of a door I did this afternoon. Anyway, a fresh cuppa and some nuts and raisins covered in chocolate should get me going again 🙂 

20210828201139-53b36041-me.jpg

Time for some tunes as well: a good techno set by Scottish Harvey McKay. 

• Like 1

Quick dryfit to check whether it's possible to have the front bogie at an angle. 

20210828214114-30528c76-me.jpg

Turns out yes, no problem. So I'll glue it at about this angle, it's a little more interesting. 

I noticed a nice spelling error in the instructions. 

20210828214114-fd7cdd75-me.jpg

So far the kit is pretty good so it's most likely a real mistake 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's it for today, the bulk of the OOB build is done. These are all the parts. 

20210828221503-8095e099-me.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to connect the air hoses to the tank. The tank is connected to the front bogie and as such moves along with it. When that's done I can get some hoses in to connect to the truck. Then I can add electrical wire, then glue the bogie. 

When that's done I'll go and see about the load bed. I'm leaning towards wood, I just practiced it on my Unimog build and it's fairly straightforward and quick. 

I'm counting 9 hours in so plenty of time left. See you tomorrow!

Edited by JeroenS
It's bogie stupid, not bogey
  • Like 3

Sunday morning and we're off... I can tell you that this stuff is lined up for today: 

20210829102904-ce4d63fb-me.jpg

The fit of the load bed on the trailer chassis is not good at all, and I needed to make modifications to that slab of plastic anyway so I figured I might as well scratch build the whole thing. 

But first I'm going to add in some pipes and hoses.

An hour later and we have this:

20210829114726-e394c556-me.jpg

From the clock, you would say it took longer than an hour but I spent 10 minutes removing superglue from under my fingernail... Inadvertedly, and without realising it, I apparently dipped my finger in a dish with some thin CA in it while grabbing a pair of small scissors from the bench. So first I had to free my finger from said scissors, then I discovered that the stuff ran under my fingernail as well. Well, it's loose again but it took some effort and a hobby knife. No blood and my fingerprint still unlocks my phone despite the tangible layer of glue still on my finger... ah, wat fun. Detailing in a blitz build, I must be losing my mind... 

20210829114725-8aed75d7-me.jpg

And with the bed on, you'll never see it unless you go looking!

• Like 2

A spot of lunch. Grilled cheese sandwich, with a carefully balanced (ahem) blend of young and old cheese. The old cheese is local, very good taste. Also, slice with ham and cucumber. Or the other way around, I don't know. 

20210829122255-6afbb640-me.jpg

• Like 1

I've detailed the trailer as much as I set out to do. 

20210829164625-e9dd7eff-me.jpg

Two curly hoses from the trailer chassis still need to be connected to the inlets on the bogie, but the latter is still not glued to the chassis. I'll do that once I have the load bed done. 

20210829164626-a22b0f81-me.jpg

Of course, it's not all correct but it looks busy enough. 

20210829164626-06c9bb1b-me.jpg

The electrical wire loom runs all the way to the end, I'll connect some wires to the lights and such. 

20210829164624-1c3d30aa-me.jpg

Now, let's make a start with the load bed before dinner. 

• Like 1

Time for a dinner break, a good start on the load bed. 

20210829180948-6fa8d768-me.jpg

Another 8 hours in makes 17. 

Next session after dinner, finish up the load bed and hopefully some paint!

• Like 1

And we're off again for the evening session, after a nice dinner of fries, fried chicken and coleslaw. And ice cream too... 

20210829193422-3802dfd0-me.jpg

• Like 1