Mitsubish J8M1, hold on isn't that a ? SCRAP ?

JOCKNEY

I know what you're thinking, that's an Me163 !

Well you are almost right.

The Japanese tried to import Me163's which were being transported by submarine. They got as far as Singapore when one of the team left the submarine and flew on to Japan with a copy of the instruction / operation manual. 

The submarine was subsequently lost before reaching Japan, therefore the Japanese built their own version using the manual !

The story is told really well here

Kit details below

IMG_6075

IMG_6076

IMG_6077

IMG_6078

IMG_6079

Good luck every one.

Cheers Pat

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

That definitely looks like a kit for you Pat 🙂 

Hi mate

Yes I know, always boring and predictable, one day I'll surprise people with something unusual :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Pat,

Indeed, I knew you would build a boring kit, the one everybody builds on a Sunday.

But to build a model of the only airframe built, that crashed shortly after take off? Really!

Next you must build a replica of the Titanic! It didn't crash on take off, but you get the gist...

Pat's disaster modelling!!! I love it!

Have a lot of fun.

JR

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Are you sure you can complete such a complex kit with such a high parts count in such a small time window?:clap:

Good luck Pat

Having done not 1 but 2 Unicraft kits previously I thought I would use the extra time to bully, whoops sorry, encourage, other participants to finish their builds, as Enzo has allowed me to host this one !

Aren't you all lucky :fight:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Trying to finish some other Builds today so, hardly started this one.

20210828_130307

As the recommended colour is no longer available I had a go at mixing something close, as I'm away from home self isolating this week, into hospital next week. The colour probably isn't right, but it's closer than when I started !

20210828_131708

Should get stuck into this properly tomorrow.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Just updating this with yesterday's pictures

IMG_6091

IMG_6093

IMG_6095

IMG_6097

I'll need to sort the start and stop times, but this I still when i started to paint it last night, but could have sworn I took a picture of it painted before leaving it to dry overnight but, it isn't on the iPad so I must have imagined it !

• Like 1

Disaster this morning..

The paint was still tacky from last night so I left it by a heater to dry it while I was in work calls........

This is the result !

IMG_6102

The plastic has contracted on the nose actually shortening the cockpit so the canopy no longer fits, note damage to wing leading edge

IMG_6103

The tail has shrunk and split

IMG_6104

The other wing has severely distorted.

Is there a way of recovering this or is it a lost cause ? 

• Sad 7

• JOCKNEY changed the title to Mitsubish J8M1, hold on isn't that a ? SCRAP ?

That's a real shame.

I've got a resin one in 48th that I can send you gratis if that would help? 

Slightly higher parts count :cwl:

There's a chip out of the resin rudder, but there's a plastic spare in the box.

IMG_0091

Let me know

SD

• Like 1

Sorry to see your mishap Pat. A shame as it was an interesting subject, and looking good too.

I remember a friend showing me one of his models that he'd left a bit to close to the fireplace, and how disappointed he was.

Take care, Justin.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

here we do not have any radiators! Come to think of it, we have nothing...

If you can twist the bent wing back into shape, the rest should be a walk in the park to fix for someone of you legendary ability... albeit not in a couple of hours...

Is it worth it? After all it crashed after take off on its first flight... Was the radiator sent to you by the spirits of the peeved kamikaze who could not wait to fly on this contraption? 

Life is possibly too short for this, especially when a beautiful Late 298 is awaiting your tlc...

Cheers and do not get cross with your radiator. 

JR

• Thanks 1

Thanks JR

Yes the Late 298 has been sadly neglected, I shall endeavour to complete this build in the forthcoming KUTA GB.

Next for completion is my MS 225, I can't think who has had such an influence on my building all these French subjects  :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Next for completion is my MS 225, I can't think who has had such an influence on my building all these French subjects  :wink:

Oui, bizarre, tres bizarre...

• Haha 1

I hope that Phoenix does rise eventually. It looks like you took care of that serious wing warping.

For inspiration, here is the one I saw at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino

spacer.png

You could probably go heavy on the putty and justify that with capturing the "texture" of the real deal.

spacer.png

Finish it up when you get the chance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...