Another Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI on the go

23 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

So the big question Did a B.XVI have these pins? or have I just wasted my time?

No, I've not seen any photo's showing the "pins" as you call them, they should be removed.

Whilst we're talking Mosquito undercarriage, Airfix have made the same error that Tamiya made, they've made the assemblies a mirror port to starboard whereas they should be identical. The retraction jacks parts E15 and F15 should be on the port (left) starboard (right) side of both undercarriage assemblies. The whole assembly (and the wheel) is also about 1mm too narrow, presumably to make it easy to fit after assembling the nacelle to the wing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The ejector pin mark et al at the bottom of the undercarriage leg is there to ensure that enough plastic flows through the mould ensuering that the whole of the part gets plastic through it and that nothing end up short shot.

Gondor

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

The ejector pin mark et al at the bottom of the undercarriage leg is there to ensure that enough plastic flows through the mould ensuering that the whole of the part gets plastic through it and that nothing end up short shot.

Gondor

That's not the issue, there's a pin moulded on the bottom of the leg before the flow gate, and it's shown on the instructions as being there in the diagram below (and others), but as @Cheshiretaurus states, he can't find any evidence of this in photo's, and neither can I. 

xeC0A6Y.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

No, I've not seen any photo's showing the "pins" as you call them, they should be removed.

They will be chopped off in due course, Thanks for the input Dave

57 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The retraction jacks parts E15 and F15 should be on the port (left) side of both undercarriage assemblies. 

Probebly a bit late for me to correct on this build but something to consider on others, Just looking for good pic of this at the moment (looking like it should be on the right though, but I could be wrong)

7 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

can't find any evidence of this in photo's, and neither can I. 

Think I know how Airfix came to this error, This is the Cosford Mossie, The way the support has be made does look at first glance like a pin is there. 

O2oM8Aq.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The retraction jacks parts E15 and F15 should be on the port (left) side of both undercarriage assemblies.

That's new to me and quite an important fact. Thanks for sharing this. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Probebly a bit late for me to correct on this build but something to consider on others, Just looking for good pic of this at the moment (looking like it should be on the right though, but I could be wrong)

After a bit of research it looks like they are both on the right not left. found these two great videos on YouTube that would be really useful for anyone wanting to do some super-detailing.

QXLmguc.png?1

After further thought, I decided its not too late to modify them on this build. 

Fresh new razor blade please..

8f4QDqK.jpg

FuTchT8.jpg

VJHICcY.jpg

ZNHbuzy.jpg

Voilà

Thanks for the pointer on this Dave👍

Just need to wait for the TET to set fully then I'll clean up the joint.

and get rid of the pins on the bottom too!

CT

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

After a bit of research it looks like they are both on the right not left.

You are of course correct, well spotted before cutting plastic! I referred to a set of legs I'd modified for a Tamiya kit currently part built - I obviously had the modelling gloves with the L and R on the back on the wrong hands when I did the mod, I "corrected" them the wrong way and now have to go back and correct the "correction" Doh!

Thanks for the pointer on this Dave👍

You're welcome.

Whilst looking for some other info in response to the recent upgrade sets Freightdog have released I was reminded that there's a good series of in flight photos of ML963 / 8K*K in the Gordon Permann collection at San Diego Air & Space Museum 

Spoiler

ML963 had a fuel cooler under the starboard wing and a lamp fairing aft of the tailwheel (not Monica as intimated by Freightdog), both missing from the Airfix kit.

• Thanks 1

Bit more progress today with the bomb bay doors, Ive filled the cut outs with 0.5mm plasticard. 

yomH4eO.jpg

I'll use sprue goo to fill the gaps and attachment points for the TT35 parts C3/4 on the doors then put them a side to set before I sand them.

21rJJhs.jpg

Props painted with MRP Black, Trainer yellow PRU Blue & Alclad 117 Dull aluminium.

jTQADk9.jpg

More painting, MLG legs & hubs were done with the same Alcald dull aluminium. Bomb bay working parts with interior green and Ordnance with MRP138 olive drab.

Ess1YsT.jpg

Think the next job will be to assemble the bomb bay

CT

• Like 6

On 9/30/2021 at 9:40 PM, stever219 said:

@Cheshiretaurus looking good.  Your bomb carriers (four items, top right in the image) should be satin black rather than grey-green though.

Thanks for that tip, Black going on soon..

Some more Wednesday progress

I finished sanding smooth the inside of the bomb bay doors, then gave them a coat for Mr Surfacer 1500 black and at the same time gave the bomb carriers the same black, I've found Mr Surfacer gives a lovely satin finish. The doors along with the MLG doors then got some preshading with MRP white.

58u9ei5.jpg

4qlZTe2.jpg?1

MRP Interior green on the inner bits and medium sea grey on the outer bits next.

DVa4css.jpg

Bomb Carriers went on next

g3mDTJh.jpg

Last of the decals still to do so the Bombs and prop spinners got a glossing from Humbrol gloss cote in preparation for that

vzvsxjr.jpg

Are these 500 pounders or 1000 pounders? does anyone know?, I'm thinking 1000lbs.

I'm going to let the gloss harden before applying the decals maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

CT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Are these 500 pounders or 1000 pounders? does anyone know?, I'm thinking 1000lbs.

Disregard my question, Its right there in the instructions.

EWsznUp.png?2

The instructions are always right, arnt they........

• Haha 1

Thanks @Cheshiretaurus, I got stitched up not realising that the E spruce and F sure were not identical or to be precise that each nacelle has a certain way of ensuring the parts on what appear to be identical sprues actually should be built- there are a few things in the Airfix instructions that you do have to follow closely- I ended up with two jacks on one and none on the other landing gear! Fixed now but almost did the same thing with the small vents In The nacelle, they are quite specific to the fit of each side.

Your Mossie is coming along really nicely!

Edited by 72nd SQN
  • Like 1

While the Decals on the props and bombs done and a coat of Humbrol matt cote is drying I noticed something on ML963, It has snow guards on the carburettor intakes.

aEaDuvt.png

I'm going to try to recreate these with a 3D printed frame and fine wire mesh sheet

I've done the frame in Fusion 360 and printed a few copies.

MnLWDTg.png

J6Yq7jj.png

This is 5mm x 2.1mm representing 14" x 6" outside dimensions and the frame is 0.3mm, I might be able to get a thinner frame to print later.

wzIgnmE.jpg

We9IRb3.jpg

F6AVbzF.jpg

Does the outer dimensions look right before I carry on? The frame can be made thinner later.

Plan is to glue the frame to the mesh then cut them out.

CT

• Like 2

Bit more progress, bombs were weathered with mig oil pens followed but matt coat and are now loaded, and the doors fitted, MLG legs went on next, these are very fiddly to fit!, still have the tyres to paint.

4DLjgfr.jpg?1

Made some smaller gauge snow guards, (bottom half of pic) these are 0.15mm.

c9Qy5jM.jpg

glued to the mash, this is the second time I've glued the 0.15mm one on as the previous ones became carpet monster fodder.

I'll cut them out later tonight

iWLCSkg.jpg?1

Still need to work out how to mount them.

CT

• Like 5

On 9/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

They will be chopped off in due course, Thanks for the input Dave

Think I know how Airfix came to this error, This is the Cosford Mossie, The way the support has be made does look at first glance like a pin is there. 

In the scheme of things this is one of Airfix's lesser errors with this kit. One has to wonder whether any research was done other than relying on the LIDAR images.  

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

In the scheme of things this is one of Airfix's lesser errors with this kit. One has to wonder whether any research was done other than relying on the LIDAR images.  

LIDAR is King!

They could at least have released it with the Cosford decals, would have been as accurate as it gets.

LIDAR is King!

They could at least have released it with the Cosford decals, would have been as accurate as it gets.

Perfect for anyone who wants to build a 1/72 RAF Museum Cosford.  It's funny how they accurately copied the inaccurate bomb bay doors but inaccurately copied the accurate tail wheel.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Nice work. What's mesh are you using?

I'm using this from Ebay I bought maybe 5 years ago, not sure what gauge I have, might be 200 but I really cant remember.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/111485649556

I sprayed the 0.15mm frames & mesh MRP Med sea grey, didnt use a primer as I' dont want to risk bridging the gaps in the mesh.

NZyKGvy.jpg

These are only test pieces as they have started to separate and one of the frames has a split. Maybe CA is not flexible enough, I used Gator grip on the 0.3mm frames and that seems to have worked better, will try again tomorrow. 

LPtcVIw.jpg

Today is just seeing how they look, still need to work out how to mount them too as white tack will not be the way to go. Maybe 3D print a rear frame possibly.

Cosford Mossie again

S2hIPKw.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

I'm using this from Ebay I bought maybe 5 years ago, not sure what gauge I have, might be 200 but I really cant remember.

You managed to understand my badly worded question, thanks.