Spare Track / Detailing Pieces for 1:35 Armour

JJC

Good morning gents 

I’m very new to AFV modelling, having recently plumped for the Airfix ‘mystery box’ set of 1:35 vehicles.

My main aim with these kits is to depict them as war-weary and ‘well used’ as possible - much like the excellent box art of the recent kits.

My question is, is there a source of ‘extras’ to add to these models to depict them as per the boxart - for example - on the Tiger I boxart, the tank has spare track attached to the front which does not appear to be included in the box. The same goes for tents / sandbags etc on some of the American kits.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/tiger-1-late-version-a1364

Is there somewhere I can obtain extra track for jobs like these, or is it simply a case of accumulation spares?

I’ve seen there are pricey replacement metal tracks etc available online. 

Apologies for the lengthy post / possibly silly question - this is all very new to me!!

Cheers 

JJC

There are many manufactures of resin stowage sets out there. 

Some (off the top of my head) are:

Legend, Resicast, Black Dog, Blast, Royal Models, Value Gear (the list goes on). 

However, be careful as some sets tend to be for a specific manufacturer's  rendition of a vehicle (e.g. a Dragon M4A3E8 Sherman, although some parts will fit any Sherman), some are generic sets.

Just google 1/35 resin stowage

As for spare tracks...you could always ask the members here if they've any spares they could part with.

Enjoy your modelling,

Tom

A good start point is to visit scalemates. As you go down the page you will see extras that are made for that specific kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a1364-tiger-1--1190303

Not always that helpful on some kits, but as i say a good start.

George

Thank you very much for the information!

I’ve had a look and ordered some generic stowage sets.

Had tried to search for this sort of thing but without the correct term didn’t have much look! 

Cheers 

JJC 

Yes, after-market metal track links are very expensive: typically £30+.  There are many brands of plastic after-market track links available.  Much cheaper than the metal varieties.  AFV Club and Rye Field (RFM) both do Tiger sets - but you obviously get enough for a whole vehicle. 

If you were thinking of replacing the vinyl tracks anyway you might get enough links in the pack for some spares.  If you're new to the game you might find the vinyl tracks easier rather than assembling individual links from hundreds of parts.  But they are a bit of a Marmite subject.  While easier, they don't always fit or sit right, can be hard to join and any mould lines are impossible to remove.  

Bronco have a whole range of plastic track links for M3 and M4 mediums (Lee, Grant, Sherman) and others.  I've just bought the Bronco Valentine track set for extra armour on an M3 Lee in Burma.

As noted, Scalemates is a good source of information.  If you look up a kit on there they will usually present you with a list of associated items, although not always complete or exhaustive.  They usually have a reasonably good idea of who has stock at what price, but again not always infallible.  Getting stuff from Europe has recently become a lot more complicated and potentially more expensive

You do see people selling off spare kit parts on eBay including track links.  Pot luck what you find on there.

FYI the Airfix 1/35 kits except for the Cromwells are re-boxed Academy kits.