StuG III Ausf. E

This is the old Dragon kit based off of the now-vintage Gunze Sanyo “high-tech” kits from the late 1980.  All in all, with a little work and upgrades, they build up ok.  This one is modeled after Fritz Amling’s “Leopard” Ausf. E from Stg. Abt. 202.

51402841691_ed0fc0c294_b.jpg 51403822345_4f35e4a908_b.jpg 51402841701_75ef40deb8_b.jpg 51403822405_3155de76e9_b.jpg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Magnificent!

Superb, great worn whitewash complete with a dusting of fresh snow, nicely done tarp over the stowage and a chilly looking commander!

Great base too, always helps putting the build in context. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Magnificent!

Superb, great worn whitewash complete with a dusting of fresh snow, nicely done tarp over the stowage and a chilly looking commander!

Great base too, always helps putting the build in context. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Seconded. Brilliant model, well painted and weathered. Top job.

Vytautas

• Like 1

I have a Dragon StuG III Ausf B bought in the Orange Box rebox deal with a Dragon figurine set which I suspect is the same vintage mould? Overall dimensions are accurate. Incredible value, or was when I bought. Despite the mould's age, it scrubs up very well OOTB, and with a little evergreen sheet to the shot trap and some cutting and drilling of the hatch hinges for those who just must, doesn't look too shabby alongside the Tamiya offering once dressed up in its warpaint. Mine came with Magic-Tracks too! Very nice for the price, particularly as it included a figurine set too, which although Gen 1, are rather nicely sculpted. Was an enjoyable build.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

I have a Dragon StuG III Ausf B bought in the Orange Box rebox deal with a Dragon figurine set which I suspect is the same vintage mould? Overall dimensions are accurate. Incredible value, or was when I bought. Despite the mould's age, it scrubs up very well OOTB, and with a little evergreen sheet to the shot trap and some cutting and drilling of the hatch hinges for those who just must, doesn't look too shabby alongside the Tamiya offering once dressed up in its warpaint. Mine came with Magic-Tracks too! Very nice for the price, particularly as it included a figurine set too, which although Gen 1, are rather nicely sculpted. Was an enjoyable build.

Yes-this was the Orange Box issue too.  The Magic Tracks made it well worth the price. Some of the detail parts and tools were not great, so I replaced them with PE and items from the Tamiya Pz IV on-vehicle tools/parts set.

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, f matthews said:

Yes-this was the Orange Box issue too.  The Magic Tracks made it well worth the price. Some of the detail parts and tools were not great, so I replaced them with PE and items from the Tamiya Pz IV on-vehicle tools/parts set.

Nice. I have to admit I've come of an age now where along with never having enjoyed the tedium of applying it, PE is both too much of a challenge to the eyes and fingers so as to make using it for detail doubly unenjoyable, somewhat alleviated by the fact that the level of detail available OOTB with slide moulded kits these days suffices to satisfy my need in a model (vs extremes of a precise replication in miniature). e.g. Scale dependent of course and not for this old mould kit in particular, but for 1/35 and especially Dragon armour kits, parts have become so fine that slide moulded barrels today generally render the purchase of a metal barrel unnecessary. Similar with moulded grilles & latches where weighing up the PE parts supplied and the moulded part, to my eye & for my pleasure it's just not worth my time bothering with the supplied PE alternative. 

• Like 2

Nice job on the whitewash and the base definitely looks the part-the only thing that looks a bit out to me is the commander looks a little tanned-maybe a recent transfer from the DAK? 😉

• 1 month later...

The first post about yours Stug  I wrote in August, then the model looked just fine, and now this image acquires and another value - he becomes more and more relevant every day - the real winter is approaching... :chilly:

Vytautas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, GRK said:

-the only thing that looks a bit out to me is the commander looks a little tanned-maybe a recent transfer from the DAK? 😉

Or he's been through a Russian summer...? 

• Like 2