About blooming time !

Airfix Short Stirling Mk1

This has been with me since the days of paper rounds, endless summer holidays and eating as much as you want and never putting any weight on, oh to be 13 again !

I think it was the almost HMS Victory quantity of parts in the box that has put me off all these years, so the "Less than a tenner GB" was the ideal opportunity to finally get it built.

Work in progress here

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and support, it was greatly appreciated, I hope you like it

Cheers Pat

IMG_5989

IMG_5992

IMG_5993

IMG_5994

IMG_5995

• Like 61
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pat

Love it

Took me right back with the story too....I also remember earning a bit of money from a part time job as a young lad and buying mainly Matchbox kits from the local variety store

I'm too scared to build anything with 4 engines these days as it takes me MONTHS to complete even a single engine fighter!

Can't believe you had it in the stash all that time but then again I just found 2 unmade Matchbox kits cleaning up at my parents old family home and they've made their way into my stash now LOL

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Airfix Short Stirling Mk1

This has been with me since the days of paper rounds, endless summer holidays and eating as much as you want and never putting any weight on, oh to be 13 again !

Hi Pat,

These kits may be long in the tooth and not your "shake n the box" modern kits, but

with a little TLC they scrub up nicely.

Your model turned out really nice, well done - I really like it :thumbsup:

I still have the odd kit from when I was a lad/early teen ^_^

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Winenut said:

Hi Pat

Love it

Took me right back with the story too....I also remember earning a bit of money from a part time job as a young lad and buying mainly Matchbox kits from the local variety store

I'm too scared to build anything with 4 engines these days as it takes me MONTHS to complete even a single engine fighter!

Can't believe you had it in the stash all that time but then again I just found 2 unmade Matchbox kits cleaning up at my parents old family home and they've made their way into my stash now LOL

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks very much Bruce, glad you enjoyed he trip down memory lane. 

Cheers Pat 

Perfect!

As you did it, had you ever the idea in mind  to fly it? Awfull canopy, difficult to handle. As a mechanic, a nightmere too. As model how did you like it? In comparison to a Lancy, of Helifax?

Happy modelling 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Pat,

These kits may be long in the tooth and not your "shake n the box" modern kits, but

with a little TLC they scrub up nicely.

Your model turned out really nice, well done - I really like it :thumbsup:

I still have the odd kit from when I was a lad/early teen ^_^

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan

I can't help but make these old classics, first of all they bring back such great memories and second my stash is full of them !

cheers Pat

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I can't help but make these old classics, first of all they bring back such great memories and second my stash is full of them !

Hi Pat

Amen to that, I've got a few kits in my stash I built (and lost) as a kid - great memories absolutely :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

One of those kits I always wanted as a small person, but could never afford with my pocket money. So good to see one nicely built and finished and not just 'collected'.

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2021 at 12:57, Wulfman said:

Looking good after all these years, great work !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman

Yes both the kit and builder qualify to be called antiques !

Cheers Pat 

On 26/08/2021 at 18:19, dov said:

Perfect!

As you did it, had you ever the idea in mind  to fly it? Awfull canopy, difficult to handle. As a mechanic, a nightmere too. As model how did you like it? In comparison to a Lancy, of Helifax?

Happy modelling 

Hi @dov

I'm really glad you like the Stirling, it's a great kit and you get a tractor and all the trailers for your bombs included :like:

I built a Lancaster a while ago it was the Airfix Grand Slam B1 special in the Lancaster Group Build here on BM. That went together really well, so I recommend both it and the Stirling.

To my great embarrassment I haven't built a Halifax, so that is definitely something I need to put right.

Kind regards Pat