Revell 1/72 Junkers Ju52/m

Hi all,

Well finally another completed aviation build, having moved to 1/72 armour for a short time.

This time round, one of my longest builds to date, about 6 weeks to complete this Italeri tooled Revell 1/72 Junkers Ju52 after struggling to find the enthusiasm to finish it - bought as the Ju52/3 m Civil variant, but contains all the sprues required to make a the military version within reason.

Kit went together nicely for it's 1970's vintage and although my rendition is not historically accurate, I'm pleased to have completed this aircraft type. I'd initially finished it with yellow wing tips and outboard engines, but after issues with spraying the yellow, and subsequently problems with the decals, I decided to alter the scheme to improve the final appearance.

Finished with Revell Aqua acrylics and decals were aftermarket courtesy of Printscale. Despite these being thin, I just couldn't get them to adhere to the surface. Even after 24hrs they were movable across the corrugated surface detail. After changing the scheme and reapplying a different set, the same issue and silvering occurred. Doh! Nevermind.

This aircraft should've had a dorsal turret, and no turret above the cockpit glazing, but parts weren't included for this option so I made a compromise. 

Overall a bit of a disappointing build for me, not to my usual standard but as with every build, a learning curve non the less.

51402068836_e04ec232e9_b.jpg

51402331578_a6f117a7dc_b.jpg

IMG-5998.png

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nanond said:

Really hard to tell that it's a 1970 vintage. You finished it very nicely.

True! Very very true!

• Thanks 1

• NavyWessex changed the title to Revell 1/72 Junkers Ju52/m
On 8/26/2021 at 4:08 AM, NavyWessex said:

not to my usual standard

But pretty damn good for all that, I reckon!

Very nice Ju-52 in spite of your troubles with it!

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

For silvering decals, you might try carefully airbrushing them over with Tamiya Extra Thin glue. But only if they were applied over acrylic varnish, like Tamiya x-22 or Gunze H101. Never tried this on Printscale decals though, so it advisable to use some test model first.

I also have this kit in my stash, but in my case I am planning to use paint masks from Montex with a fancy snake painting along the hull. But just thinking of applying the mask on this corrugated surface makes me put this kit away. Indefinitely.

Other than that the kit looks very nice with a subtly worn look.

• Thanks 1