Japanese Navy 1/350 triple build (Isuzu, Shimakaze and I-400)

MRMRL

Really nice job on the ship. I have added it to my buildlist as it seems a nice build of a rare ship and the flyhawk set adds some nice detail. The only thing I wonder about is why you did not replace the flyhawk 25mm triples with some others that have proper brass barrels?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'd have been happy with the kit type 89 guns but once painted I think the resin upgrade mounts are definitely better. That whole model is extremely well done. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I'd agree that the kit type 89s aren't bad, I'd not have upgraded them if they hadn't been in the flyhawk set, I've built IJN kits before that didn't have them and they looked fine.

8 hours ago, IJNfan said:

Really nice job on the ship. I have added it to my buildlist as it seems a nice build of a rare ship and the flyhawk set adds some nice detail. The only thing I wonder about is why you did not replace the flyhawk 25mm triples with some others that have proper brass barrels?

Thanks, I appreciate that. It is a nice ship, I like how clean the lines are. I know the etch 25mm guns are a bit "bendy", but the simple answer for keeping them comes down to cost and laziness, I didn't want to buy more upgrades for one kit. I'm happy that the PE triples are better than those in the kit 😉

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I've been so bad at updating this thread, but then I've been pretty bad at doing any work on these ships at all, especially since the new year. With a very little one in the house, I'm finding myself struggling to get my head into the high levels of detail needed for ships and have been taking the chance to do some armour and aircraft instead (sorry I know, how dare I right). For today I've got some pictures of Isuzu now she's finished, I'll do a proper ready for inspection once the trio is complete, hopefully I can start getting my head back into it soon, hope you enjoy these in the meantime :) 

9vTwHxGQAzOoQazXCbrzaeTM46kjo3PG7bqTC_l0

byI30Ty0IoC5ElVGIgSDVvVO1LfsOaufWIEDht6Y

vt5_t1xCoRp_oh4PLC9Gq4fNYIjtHV62Za7DzaRK

eOf4Xi6IDks5K8Ex64hZayvOGK19Xk3yVDi0bVdH

HRCQfbeMGoTQ-g7PVAkiWzjRzzq1NU3IagzgSkvo

• Like 8

I'll bring this log up to date with the small amount of progess I've made on Shimakaze so far this year.

Adding some detail to doors and portholes

lNU3kPV0voQhf3weYWPEw3ZyFhGbhHUWpEu-RPvx

And the supports under the depth charge rails, some of these are getting very much on the tiny side (1cm squares on the cutting mat)

DjU9hyyeEdEF0faGpgECmX0DzoBmXVUNQPqsGXaw

Never had this before, tiny tiny wheels on the fore deck, related to raising the anchors no doubt (I don't do much homework on what a lot of this stuff is for)

0T42_C0zef7VTn01QfrHDNb5sRwdUVC5uBpvVJBX

An overall shot and a view after airbrushing the linoleum deck brown sections

Vx0YVenXpcKX46wnXO7LWWATw4AHqZM3h1Q3zrqt

rmEktc_MM5mVm4Fj872sWtieOE0pf8uzb2Dq5iSN

And a start has been made on the structure around the funnels, plenty of detail to add still..

h3xM5v4n9xU0NrXsEA_qotwOT1ssIYVDTGOmFtn-

Finally, here's the main reason I've got bogged down on this one somewhat, the level of detail. While stunning when finished, it's a slog to get through at the time. Here's the instructions for the 25mm AA guns, they are clear is the ony thing I'll say about them - better than some etch sets, but wow, that's a lot of fiddly work for tiny guns.

3oLEK4tESK1sODkTorxHZbpcpnj2d8JFKeZAjjkM

Here's one next to the plastic version and two with a paint pot for scale.

n2Sb2rNHifCNzxNFjVA44Ob5JudJ2WO7_ArXR4c0

SBAWb2E6Yn1QkIwhiKKJi61D_KVKfOlbYebElEFr

Anyway, that's me up to date pretty much, I've built a couple more of these guns since then, still got a few more to go though. I'm going to try to get going again on this ship once I've finished my Harrier Gr7.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally managing to get myself going on Shimakaze, it's been a slog recently but my attention level in the evenings is a bit higher now (the little one in the house is starting to learn how to sleep a bit) so I've got my head back in it. So I wanted to test that first by getting through the remaining AA guns, starting with the only Type 96 twin mount in the kit...

UReczGZHDsPiX3EpZhNh44kU5xdlNlg5B7J8Vv_-

IQC2GQP9YydAD-Ycx2YXK0snVRVp1p8o9ZZNPVnn

And then the triple mounts (there's four of these)

IOV1JAlQxxzMFQsGyLNBiPCjz1x59RTK-FAHSP7F

uAAXcmWY-umEbr8FWhM_btv1GafSYn2sessfIxsr

Only 20 parts each for these little monsters, a test of my new found concentration. Here's a shot with a My Hobby paint pot for scale

NXDFs98lWh7AJk_djuDG2ZjSFxevYNDS_On1Fh46

And that leaves me with a complete set of AA guns, I've been working on the ammo boxes as well

ujZ5H8ZSji3bwlRRXRGfyRF1MLVOuGgQBoBgYOti

In the corner of that shot, you can see one of the rear structures for the Shimakaze, the rear mast and the superfiring rear turret both sit on top of it, I haven't got roung to those yet, but here's the structure all finished

Qc8o53kLjfNnCTHVUELGtV7fuEceDW7vAJ1xE7Gs

Thinking ahead to getting painting started, I'm working on things for the hull or central areas that will all get covered by the Sasebo grey, starting with the funnels. Incidentally, this is one of the jobs I hate most, so I'm pleased to have it out the way (bending the top bits and attaching all the little rails on the sides I find so tricky)

CxitXnQg_EqhbBn2fY5jTjITUKqoGokToqPCqGVz

Finally for this update, I've been working on the portholes and other details for the side of the hull - I don't suppose anyone can tell me why there is a semi-circle of holes on the kit (I can't imagine they would have been on the ship) and while on the subject, anyone know what the bump on hull in the bottom right of the next picture is?

o9C2SKDrlz7g50OoVhSevgBEEM82GBgk4VgYDN0L

c5PlymV6Fxhnewh2-Njyinc-LhXcrV1K_glF_2jQ

• Like 8

I believe the semicircular hoke pattern was some kind of listening device the Japanese used, they're also on my Taiho build so must have been widespread in their use  

there's almost more etch on that bit of superstructure than plastic, and those aa guns are really rather fab btw

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:09 PM, S-boat 55 said:

I believe the semicircular hoke pattern was some kind of listening device the Japanese used, they're also on my Taiho build so must have been widespread in their use  

there's almost more etch on that bit of superstructure than plastic, and those aa guns are really rather fab btw

That's good to hear - I don't have to contemplate filling in the holes in that case :) 

And thanks, the etch is pretty challenging on this one, but it's coming along well so far.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well, I can safely say that the ship building mojo has been pretty difficult to maintain this year, I've been doing more armour than anything else. I'm learning with those, but its still easier than the ships which are just so fiddly. I do have some more progress to report, and hopefully more to come shortly so I'll post it while I have a few minutes peace and hope my mojo continues for a few more days or weeks to actually get this one finished.

I've been making progress on some of the superstructure, with the bridge and lower half of the structure mostly completed.

lpgtUUdPLiOMofWmS8JIOU-uWKsXR_ZkUYLRokdT

6Nu9PCkx9d48N50mBFlyhKWp37HBWqHBZg2csLJi

W5EqW1YdjaboIlgo5l2u4hL0n7fQVRgHek1___Xb

And here's the front platform from these pictures with ladders and ammo boxes added

aaRwEvcQ8EW1yyFvaH2qbjCh_eNLenyQAqkLwBEa

I've also been wokrking through some of the smaller parts, miscellaneous sized cable reels all completed

mxpetjotTuyuOxflYxIqVhXwbmrbW3Am-XeZtk05

And finally getting some gray paint laid down, that made a big instant difference getting that on

ymtaUpEkM8FXws5OIq4JaGX4AAnxHBk_9mfUUdhN

And now I can start adding some of the smaller deck parts, and the deck strips (which look a bit scruffy in this picture, I'll tidy them up a little later on). They were a complete joy (sarcasm) to add on, I thought painting them was a pain, not sure I can say which option I prefer, although these will hopefully look a little better once I clean them up

k4ruySwdcLagnpUibxehBIjwbsRvha-ctgpgIcQq

Now to get going on the main armaments for the destroyer, starting with the torpedo launchers, one of three completed, some fiddly parts on here - man I struggle with those little rails

xdpUQ6IL89MhwrjoRRtTgZHni53PRynF8tHXt0j-

QJ6ExKkO69irBh7tUR0aWPbDJG5-N9B3Xi3oplc7

• Like 6

Gidday, good luck with the mojo reboot. I certainly understand the loss of mojo from time to time, and my models are nowhere as detailed as yours. This is looking very good, I hope you keep going with it. You might be having trouble with the ladders and railings but they look terrific when done, something I'm not game to try.       Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

I think it's good to switch genres from time to time - need to check out the GR.7.  I'm flirting with startign a GR.9 in 1/72, strange to think that these are already "historic" aircraft.

So back to ship modelling - your attention to detail and your precision are remarkable as is your rigging :thumbsup:

Rob

• Thanks 1

Right, we are getting there with this one now, it's taken longer than any (plastic) ship model I've built, crazy for such a little one but I think the end may finally be in sight. Where were we....

So I've build all three torpedo launchers now, in place for storage as much as anything else

3KCEpXdLgWCNl68OhMJhepEw7rdzPNq0eIhdd3lj

And all three turrets

5RHbhz53QN5NvE5bp-QMu1qitq7YeKhaZkXiUWD8

And they've all had a coat of paint added along with the top of the bridge and the larger AA guns

E1wnqTNZiHxXgCVBWIDG1P5DsY-yb59bMv3muw3W

Next step, the AA platforms that I built seemingly a lifetime ago, can now be added to the ship

wAClyHydE-X3wqRFOnqEondpZ1rbCbQj97NHjxoz

A bit of detail painting and I've got most the rear deck sorted, just the railings, splinter sheilds, AA guns and depth charge rack to add, not much really :( 

nlyzemsqXtogwKxr0BIagltVnVomyw_uGqpWuk4x

Speaking of AA guns, finally got those all airbrushed now along with the remaining ammo boxes

c0Fdwv2Dhm1piA-W-vsKRQmq2KxQ00_U74xwRTqr

Now I can move on to putting it all together, main bridge structure with the dual AA gun in front

RbVsczzqBiTQf_LLkNLRGWCPU_HZ6GDyjsvbXwbB

And the triple AA guns on their platforms, with a wide shot to see it all filling out

0rivTurWV6pUWIRwZYzZuz-1fPzjWegjdULFcj2K

SfZLbbb7BCCaCL0vsr4uCDQLCNCJbZJUKAFNVRmX

Detail painting completed on the main weaponry now, and I've got them all slotted into place. This really starts to make it look more complete, amazing how much difference that makes to the feel of the ship.

xZ4YGsukTUjQj9l_vdPd-5Lruqn4qWEJm9ni-L7v

_XaFLBJaMzdSNxLfi6wYNg7zXUC7HnZnHB7N9j-n

Well. it's been a slog, but I finally think we're going to get there soon, most the remaining work is straightforward (for me at least) so I can start mopping that all up in the next week or so I hope.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I'm so behind in updating this build log (probably why I don't do them often, the builds get ahead of the updates (sorry about that anyone who's been reading it). The good news - we're pretty much finished with Shimakaze and hence the whole build - finally. Let's get to it...

First off, I've now constructed the main mast, a fair bit of detail here, but it went together really easily

unfLjpMlOHNCRWG4t6IMHueu5dUQB5zpUxY7-_Gv

And a main coat applied

QueeRGU58mA1vtZyQoCw3xUM2ultZYXI_82dq_EB

The rear mast was even easier, not a lot going on here to be fair

l1-nHrxGUccoQeKycSmMvIasjWE02cdgHqF1P0Mc

Most the final details have been added to the rear deck and the railings started as well

LtGeGCOljAbV9oHQ_C9rKDJRnxuWMKmaRxv4Zs9i

Added some storage thingies to the middle of the ship - sorry I have no idea what these are for, feel free to enlighten me anyone who knows ;) 

lMGzvp1_nNOVd8gfHaD67VnYP--pUt2UAv8pKAgh

Railings and other details added to the foredeck and the superstructure

NxnwWgrsXmeRpx8dm7X7Ce7oSJ9fKCpK4Tdx4L2O

AA platform inbetween the torpedo launchers completed (other than painting the searchlight)

lzSoGR6BFMmJ4dyKeYZL5O5ZUl134j3OyHVVS2aj

Davits for the ships boats

2mbFMnYGzPxqc6mp-h5JfhFfDVqDs5PBz0kEGKxd

Smoke launchers added and railings complete at the back - just the single AA guns to go in the remaining holes here

sp5u10_yVaj2trHF-4kWrT5C_KcRTGRfcvWp1WTT

Ships boats - these always end up being left to last. For some reason, it's my least favourite part of building any ship

ZSB07ZlKdtpIIT5TVRKvoBBbZ8qo6cXkCf6L_UqZ

Got a pair of torpedoes on the railing system - and the single AA guns are going on now as well

3TXWRIaFd-K6wgx87CVy4nhGY8dHu8oZI_MAU1Op

uyy80bKakAE6ZZL-YSn-LE3gDnKgwb5VEaA0lyAt

Boats painted (with some artistic license). I need to try the aluminium foil trick for the tarpaulin at some point, the plastic versions end up looking a bit naff

5vy8hXeAx52X2plQKjeZRqCWAJdnDLCnU-lH_Xgs

Rigging - its a small boat so at least this bit is relatively quick

3RJ_TySfejzm6TBR8QZWCORF3rQUMJ8kS-d0VM6F

5MRRnilCiYd4m6LmZhgivPQkgGCg0PBqL5XL8ihA

All done - I'll post some pics of the finished ship in the next day or two and then a "Ready for Inspection" post for the trio.

• Like 4

Finally I can add some finished pictures of Shimakaze - thus completing the triple build, Ready for Inspection to follow, here's a few tasters of the last addition for now though, hope you enjoy.

CIwU_RrPosqL2OfFu8Ly2LlYO_b3cWAW_2HjhHZC

6VJlDfRg5-xb7fzfIusWE5sE4cgoL2gJQfpF8-J9

fBNMPIQTfZQWTbagHogHvI-UBh5r5j2Br51DIP81

Need to learn the lessons of keeping up with a build log if I do another one, thanks for persevering anyone who has done so.

• Like 3