Japanese Navy 1/350 triple build (Isuzu, Shimakaze and I-400)

MRMRL

Hi, I'm taking the plunge and attempting my first build log, please bear with me as I've not done this before. For this build, I'm working on a group of three smaller IJN ships. Why three? Well to make best use of the storage space I have (namely a rather well known IKEA bookcase - other cabinets are available), I use a standard size base for my ships that way I can fit two 1/350 builds on a shelf (or one per half shelf as is the case). This works great for battleships and other larger ships (excepts the ships in the stash that are going to be too wide for said bookcase - USS Missouri, I'm looking at you) but would be somewhat wasteful for some of the smaller stuff - the solution, build a tier on my standard base and fit more than one ship on the same shelf. Here's the last effort of me doing the same, with a group of 4 other Japanese ships:

spacer.png

So for the next continuation of my Japanese WW2 fleet, I'm going to repeat this process but with three ships on the next base, since I have the Isuzu light cruiser which is too long to fit on with another ship length-wise, but too small to waste a full width base on. I expect this project will take a little while, firstly because I have Trumpeter's 1/32 A-10 on my bench right now, and more importantly a new baby in the house, but I'll try and keep posting when I have things to report. For now, here are the kits being used...

Aoshima's 1/350 Isuzu AA cruiser, with the Flyhawk photo-etch set. I've got to say, I love how minimal looking this ship is, flat deck, small tower, funnels and AA guns - no extraneous anything whatsoever, quite the contrast to the normal go as high as possible without it falling over that is more normal for the WW2 Japanese ships.

spacer.png

Fujimi's 1/350 destroyer Shimakaze, with the Infini detail kit (which looks insanely complicated - fun to be had there)

spacer.png

Tamiya's 1/350 aircraft carrying submarine I-400, again with the Infini detail set (I'm a glutton for punishment obviously)

spacer.png

So, the well versed among you might have noted from the picture at the start that I'm not exactly a "realist" when it comes to painting in general, I'm happy to use artistic license where I fancy and I like to use the same lower hull colour on all my ships (I used the correct one for a couple of early builds and didn't like the way they looked together - no accounting for taste I know), so now they are all decked out in Humbrol 100 for the below the waterline section. As this is an enamel paint, I can't (well, maybe don't want to is the better term) use it anywhere in the house with a baby around, so I've done this already as the weather was pretty good here the other day and I could take it outside and spray it in the open (minimal construction needed to get the hulls together and prop-shafts etc attached).

spacer.png

So, I'll leave you there for a while, next post whenever I take a break from parenting and the A-10 :)

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Made a small amount of progress on this build in the last few weeks, even though I've been mainly focused on other things...

Base completed, I've decided to put Isuzu at the back for a better balance in the overall look:

spacer.png

A little bit of progress made on the construction of the I-400. The Infini detail kit I have for it is on another level to the detail kits I've done for other ships. The crane for example, on anything else you'd bend the etched body of the crane to shape and stick it to the upright. On this one, it has a miniature pin to attach it to the post with - that was fun to thread into place.

spacer.png

Got a bit wonky with the cable on the crane, I'll fix that a bit further down the road, I'm bound to catch it with my sausage fingers again at some point. The largest gun is a slight improvement on the plastic part following etch work and brass parts, before...

spacer.png and after.... spacer.png

That's all for now, thanks for watching.

Edited by MRMRL
Formatting
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Right, it's been quite a while, I've been finishing off other things/distracted by baby. Fortunately, the little one is only willing to go to sleep at the moment while he is in a sling, usually on me. Since we don't like to take him out when he does finally nod off, and I can only do "light duties" with him attached, I've managed to make some good model progress recently (post on other subjects pending).

I forgot to photograph the etch before it's main coat of paint went on, but here's the small collection of guns built and airbrushed...

spacer.png

and the periscope structure capstan and hatches - such tiny handles...

spacer.png

and a general view of the bow as it stands.

spacer.png

I'll be moving on to adding the deck and starting to put it together next, hopefully more quickly than this last section was completed.

• Like 1

Going a bit quicker now that I'm not doing any other projects.

I've got the "wooden" deck added and completed most the major assembly. The Infini wooden deck was probably the best of these that I've used to date - very fine and a very accurate fit to the kit (and it stuck properly, not always a certainty with some that I have used):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One slightly blurry picture, but showing the most intricate part of the deck, I love how this looks now it's done.

spacer.png

Next stop, some detail painting, final assembly, railings etc.

• Like 8

On 11/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, S-boat 55 said:

That looks exquisite, the deck seems to fit perfectly as you say, must of been super fragile around the (I assume) forward gun mount

Oh yes, it split into a few pieces when I took it off the backing, but even the fragments stuck in place so well you can't really tell that it came apart, I'm impressed with the quality. Maybe you really do get what you pay for ☺️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right, this is very much after the fact, I'm posting work I completed quite a few weeks ago now. I've been procrastinating over posting photos while I've been getting on with building when I've had time for it, but its about time I started catching up. Firstly, I-400 has now been finished, the remaining bits went together pretty quickly after my last post. So here's the photos of ship 1 of 3 completed for this build log.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Finally getting round to updating the build log, sorry I'm a fair bit behind, but will catch up with it all in the next couple of days. With I-400 completed, we are now onto Isuzu (the etch set looks more straightforward than for Shimakaze).

First off, the main hull and deck sections were airbrushed:

yFZMolf1NH0NGrljIAtPiJNngiRsWb9fw7DBk6VZ

Then the painting of those lines on the deck (I have no idea what they are for - anyone in the know, I'd love to have an answer). These look a little messy now, but I clean them up later.

tXZ7QhNuRJpQRPfOMi6TXJ6VsfQqJuSpVEFoaDTh

To keep me from going nuts on either task, I'm splitting the time from that to building the small AA guns, quite fiddly but I find I can get in a rythym for them.

svykODpZfPtx_C4whPHNoVwcNa7v4L4CU7N-DnuU

One of the structure sections, completely replacing the kit plastic with etch, this went together pretty well, I often find the curved pieces really tough to produce.

Zv9RUaiie_YgNSofbMI5OpZmB3kYPLZqayiAzvqa

Progress on the lines, I've fixed all the decks in place now, and started adding some of the ammo boxes an other little bits and pieces...

EPymk1xnE-FobLhdM39rm09UYewyvfAIgTCoSree

7-72_FuqXc52TTPuGU3OmEsWjvtHdURHXwBGXtTZ

And I now have a complete line up of the small AA guns along with some of the other parts ready to be airbrushed, including one funnel (with some gratuitous close-ups). The funnel has come out as well as I have ever really managed this type of detail, although the photo below does reveal the limitations of my PE skill by the size of superglue blobs needed to successfully attach it.

Ei2Kv5YvAieZ4llw8paDBflI14Hvueb_dW1DxYX4

CBK4tuGpe5bEH8QaUqzFkbHhz2pX0Ljo6PI7eOZ9

ghDnhUb8uTWCq1OBZwMs1d0_qoRN0Qa-tgzqdVAK

Back end with most the small details added, there's still some paint to touch up, but I'll get onto that closer to completion

nzO09o_sJOgSLRqh1BCnksqkEhDhyl0b4ci2XT2x

And the airbrushed AA line up

9h4MQtFmGqBr1F1WXQB_cZ7W0h7U9j1rl56bT198

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Then the painting of those lines on the deck (I have no idea what they are for - anyone in the know, I'd love to have an answer).

Gidday, I've heard that they could be brass strips holding down the lino deck covering. Hopefully someone else can confirm this, or correct me.

Your models are very good, those AA guns and the funnel. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I've heard that they could be brass strips holding down the lino deck covering. Hopefully someone else can confirm this, or correct me.

Your models are very good, those AA guns and the funnel. Regards, Jeff.

That would make sense, there must have been some drawbacks, there must be a reason only the Japanese navy used that approach (lack of other resources maybe?). Thanks for the comments, I am getting better with the photo etch, still working my way up to some of the pontos and other high end sets.

3 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Must say I'm enjoying your whole approach on this project, 

Thanks, my approach is largely an effort to maximize storage space, but I'm glad it's of interest as well 😃

I believe @ArnoldAmbrose is correct, most modellers seem to paint them brass anyway, but whether they were subsequently painted over I don't know, which would make sense, but not sure that was actually done.

I believe most navies did similarly before replacing with e.g. semtex or nonslip paint around the 30s and 40s. Could be a if it ain't broke don't fix it sort of thing; tied in with 1930-40s oil restrictions on Japan to develop alternatives, or funding put into other research. Dunno. Hood website has this documented for that vessel and an internet search of corticene will likely include RN sailors mentioning keeping the brass strips nice and shiny.

The National Archives has research on the alternatives and testing thereof, but Covid got in the way of me accessing (what I believe will be quite a 'dry' document)...

Sorry, turns out I like prattling about decks...but don't mistake my lay opinion for fact, or what @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies or @dickrd might more correctly input.

Anyway, these builds are looking real nice!

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The linoleum used by the Imperial Japanese Navy was indeed carried over from British practise pre-WWI when our relationship with Japan was strong and based on trade alliances.

The linoleum was indeed held down by brass strips screwed down into the deck. This again is consistent with how Corticene (a specific brand name of the linoleum-type product which, unfortunately for its inventor, had been so widely copied as to be deemed a "generic term" when he went to court during his attempt to retrospectively patent not only the product but his brand name - Linoleum!) was fastened down on British naval ships.

In peacetime the Japanese navy kept them brightly polished. In wartime they were allowed to tarnish. I don't know whether this was a deliberate choice to reduce their reflections in the light or due to time constraints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, 73north said:

The Infini etch sets are excellent , comprehensive and come with brass guns

and fore /aft brass jack / Ensign staffs and metal propellers 

I used it on the Tamiya 1/350 Kit for Yukikaze , it was superb .

They are excellent, albeit intimidating. My head is spinning with the Shimikaze set - I've got the Alaska set in the stash, well at least I'm starting small :)

10 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I believe @ArnoldAmbrose is correct, most modellers seem to paint them brass anyway, but whether they were subsequently painted over I don't know, which would make sense, but not sure that was actually done.

I believe most navies did similarly before replacing with e.g. semtex or nonslip paint around the 30s and 40s. Could be a if it ain't broke don't fix it sort of thing; tied in with 1930-40s oil restrictions on Japan to develop alternatives, or funding put into other research. Dunno. Hood website has this documented for that vessel and an internet search of corticene will likely include RN sailors mentioning keeping the brass strips nice and shiny.

The National Archives has research on the alternatives and testing thereof, but Covid got in the way of me accessing (what I believe will be quite a 'dry' document)...

Sorry, turns out I like prattling about decks...but don't mistake my lay opinion for fact, or what @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies or @dickrd might more correctly input.

Anyway, these builds are looking real nice!

David

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The linoleum used by the Imperial Japanese Navy was indeed carried over from British practise pre-WWI when our relationship with Japan was strong and based on trade alliances.

The linoleum was indeed held down by brass strips screwed down into the deck. This again is consistent with how Corticene (a specific brand name of the linoleum-type product which, unfortunately for its inventor, had been so widely copied as to be deemed a "generic term" when he went to court during his attempt to retrospectively patent not only the product but his brand name - Linoleum!) was fastened down on British naval ships.

In peacetime the Japanese navy kept them brightly polished. In wartime they were allowed to tarnish. I don't know whether this was a deliberate choice to reduce their reflections in the light or due to time constraints.

Thanks both (for the comments and the info - we live and learn). So I should have been painting these brass then, bit late now for these babies, but I can pretend they were painted to match the hull colour ;).

Next update, one more to follow in order to pretty much catch up, I'll try and be more up to date after that

All the funnels and smaller structures on the ship have been built and painted. I've taken my photos in the evening (the only time I get to myself at the moment) and the flash exaggerates some of the colours, the contrast isn't this glaring in "real life"

ceXaystwNNQL5-J8aVrWLnYHI5faf0KT0pIWQRHn

Progress on the main superstructure, with filler in the gaps where the fat plastic platforms are being replaced with etched versions.

jW--Q2rdh8GGtI56aHOkesrmmXIGaBGIHEfwsLwm

And the third funnel is now build amd in-situ temporarily

Xvy8Ie6lTvIS78FRDKgTSm9rxEX-_ssXeuk62Wzq

Finishing touches on the main bridge etc, with detail painting progress

DKHD0yhWCbC-s12sja3ZXlbmK3io-W2qtrFmITaQ

yZYf0jUf0wKl8xlZOAtu9R7mFZyZ_RCMaUmty0XA

Dqbplrmgjw0JtUCh_7n5GfvnZ0RFFTJg7Q5jNIH0

Again the flash exaggerates the contrast on that last one, but I like the fact that you can see the wheel on this ship, it's the first I've built where that is the case. Next up, masts, fore...

6gkli6QqiRF8Or7-9-JVvJBDPx0-C4t5dG5oXZhO

and aft...

p5LfkT8C2aTHdpTu0QAfd3agLvr27LA3ng7SfXBO

Now the detail can start going on which makes such a huge difference, starting with railings

IyEhQ7Ardi-2hGdFjk7xui9HAQ7k4c4UN2bsYguc

5lWxkJ8nqRdyFKYVSc7c6lhz5tP1UoX1dVRfTed8

I'll try and post the next update at the start of next week, thanks for the continued viewing.

• Like 6

Did the Ship Binoculars set fitted on the Ships Bridge come with the Kit ?

or is it aftermarket , looks really nice and high quality .

I also spotted your Flyhawk etch instruction is very good and easy to follow ( like the Repulse set )

Far , far better than my own experience on the Hood 1/350 Flyhawk etch set instruction sheet ( as detailed on

The HMS Hood association website review I did ) where the instructions were awful and you had to put a lot of guess work where etch folded parts were assembled and where to place them , some were okay and gave you a decent instruction , but you only got 1 sheet of 4 A4 instruction with some photos .

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 73north said:

Did the Ship Binoculars set fitted on the Ships Bridge come with the Kit ?

or is it aftermarket , looks really nice and high quality .

I also spotted your Flyhawk etch instruction is very good and easy to follow ( like the Repulse set )

Far , far better than my own experience on the Hood 1/350 Flyhawk etch set instruction sheet ( as detailed on

The HMS Hood association website review I did ) where the instructions were awful and you had to put a lot of guess work where etch folded parts were assembled and where to place them , some were okay and gave you a decent instruction , but you only got 1 sheet of 4 A4 instruction with some photos .

Hi, the only bridge item that is aftermarket us the wheel (a better version was in the flyhawk kit).

I agree  on flywawk generally, their kits are great value, but the instructions are really hit and miss. These are very good overall (the odd bit which could be clearer), but I did their Hood set and Richelieu's as well, which were both awful, I'd say those for Richelieu were worse even than those on Hood. Takao on the other hand, quite decent. Good news for Repulse though, got that in the stash 😃

• Thanks 1

Great work. It might be a bit late now, but a trick with those well-known bookshelves (other brands are available) is to paint, or even better wallpaper the back wall - there's a Sanderson (other brands are available) watercolour sky style paper that looks great with ships and aircraft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Great work. It might be a bit late now, but a trick with those well-known bookshelves (other brands are available) is to paint, or even better wallpaper the back wall - there's a Sanderson (other brands are available) watercolour sky style paper that looks great with ships and aircraft.

That's a good idea, I may need to look into something like this.

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Simply staggering work here.

I actually prefer the brass strips overpainted, I can't imagine they'd leave it as normal brass in wartime. Bit bling-y for my liking.

David

Thanks David, that's really appreciated. I like them painted as well. The infini PE set I have for Shimakaze supplies these strips, I may paint them before application, it'll be neater and I don't want it to look out of place next to Isuzu.

Finally, the last "build" update for Isuzu, I'll just need to take some photos of the finished article to complete the report on this ship.

Started attaching all the last details and AA guns...

Heif7TwWTwY4x-y35c6tsc0zOr7qJetBa65e3zfB

Now here cam a dilema, resin upgrade Type 89 guns or the kit parts? Either way I'm using the metal barrels. The main reason for this being a dilema is that the upgrade set wants me to add etched "handles/rungs?" to the front...individually. Now I'm getting pretty good at etch work these days (it's a relative term after all), but a 0.5mm rung that I can't grip with my tweezers is a step too far. So as I'm bailing on these and for now I'm building both versions, if the plastic ones look better I'll transfer the barrels and the other etch details over to it from the upgrade version.

hQyeaS_m2QKeE6vx6eGSbDVzJlw4X_9Cb1vdhZWE

Boats build, painted and attached, I normally hate doing these, but this set were not too bad, went together fairly easily.

btvKX7RwHraBMJ1Tvadr__DeFUvAqG4764f2CPYX

IOyQwB_2oXRi1enospITDjOL1mA0O0WZ6pW4Sf0H

And onwards onto the rigging, using EZ line for this, I tried stretched sprue for a couple of ships, but it's just too breakable for me.

iYL6RVxVBM0EuIoHXSxfGoIxmOFXN4-5JyhAxvs9

iqFU9u-HxXniSinsyAuI0rUx21_07fqWsFO733LE

5r1iryYr8dHwGKyygqwMSvYGxqTDeQLtX8bbgTtO

And on for the last few parts for airbrushing, still undecided on the Type 89 guns...

BR8cjQWiVFVktbqDc_WseUa6RHHegpGQCeinWDXw

Depth charges and flag added

RyNL-6PARzMce8YdVcnJ9Ll5VqjJGsoTMDHrfhVC

So I only needed to airbrush one of the resin Type 89's to make my mind up, it looked better even without the insanely tiny etch rungs - and has ridges where they would be anyway, which is a more than sufficient level of detail for me. Anyway, here they are all painted up...

2IFsilt1uGaO8qxv7TacE_F6j5tNEYdQkqKLCuav

That's all for now, once those are attached, that's Isuzu completed. I'll try and take some pictures in the next couple of days to put into the log for your enjoyment.

• Like 5