Azur 1/72 Potez 630 Heavy Fighter

Richard Tucker

As my LeO was progressing, I had a look around the stash to see what else would fit the French Fancy GB. I thought I had built most of the French aircraft during the Heller GB but as the summer holidays took hold, I "accidentally" found myself in a few model shops on holiday and came away with a few kits - 3 of which were French subjects.

I've got a Potez 630 from Azur, another Azur Loire et Nieuport LN 411 and this weekend, a Heller Musee Block MB210 from Clifton Curios.

As I had mixed up the internal blue, for the LeO, I thought I'd make a start on this one and see how it goes.

y4mnvVpAmY0PJhKuWeKb1sJvbpVFFbMQKiPXvG9I

y4msaPMwaA5nc3LUsUoSZh7TYjnWYpVY2VTaCV28

The resin parts are really small and quite tricky to get off the base. So far so good though.,... No breakages,

y4mTLykFywrogYPkMdBdVu6hEmkW3xmsR0vIltAN

Some good looking decals. I'll be doing the French scheme.

y4mwj8f0fEFELKxYI-wz4RpPugPSbXlmXqyFmt9Z

I started with the cockpit as I had the blue ready to spray in the airbrush from touching up the LeO internals. I then left this in its box and occasionally did something to it while the LeO was drying.

All of this work was during the LeO build a little while back. The current status is this :

y4mdmpCReFUybvkJXxPdvGwgyjKFhpPfUs_7YHFr

The cockpit went together no problem and the fuselage fitted together well.

y4mqIB3UI8Q_lUTGoJqHJt-oVeIpX06rr8z4ShlN

I've got 2 wings too. The area on the front of the engines isn't great but I don't know how the resin engines will fit and if it matters! I should be able to concentrate on this one more now the LeO is done and the Liberator (in the High Wing GB) is mostly assembled.

• Like 13

Good progress so far Richard.  I like these Potez aircraft, yet another attractive French design.

It's interesting to see how the driver-airframe got a nice comfy chair while the navigator and gunner got what look like bicycle seats, I wonder how comfy they were in combat?

Good luck with it.

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice Richard

That paint job on the box looks interesting  !

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

At the current time, I have no idea how I'm going to paint that but I bought this kit purely for that scheme!

• Haha 1

I attached the wings and tail. They were quite straight forward and seemed to fit quite nicely which surprised me! I've then spent a few hours on and off over a few days cutting my thumb with a scalpel repeatedly cutting out the resin parts and shaping them so that they fit the complex curves on the cowlings.

The engines were painted and black and then dry brushed with some gun metal. The cowlings were glued together. 1 pair fitted together really well. The other needed some sanding to get flush. The engines were then glued inside and the cowlings stuck onto the wings. This bit worked well.

y4mklrwslZPCzjHshb1DJlNynuIyPeLGgTBckjsX

The resin parts on this kit are so small and have really complex shapes.

I don't know why they couldn't mould these underwing scoops as part of the wing ?!

y4mh-Z52FIaJ_Vfrr29cAvd_JagjgvGWg52cq8qS

It is coming together slowly. The next step is to cover everything up and prime it I think.

• Like 7

I've finally cleared most of the bench as the Liberator is done I think so I will be concentrating on this now. I did a little bit of pre-shading.

y4mPaJu2NCRAPH9OFb83l6MQN-RJqPUIVFKH166I

I then attacked it with some AK Xtreme Metal Aluminium.

y4mdZPpXpeTMnxtiWHIXlRP_ZMonuFxgLpWpYDJO

I'll need to wait for the light to improve before I check if it needs another coat in places. It started chucking it down as soon as I finished this so it went gloomy and I can't tell if it needs more in places. If not, then I need to mask off the silver and spray the Khaki octopus shape,

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very interesting scheme, one does wonder what the purpose was to do it in this way ? 

I wondered if it was an anti reflection from the shiny metal finish but they didn't need to go to town on the spiky bits. Equally, they didn't need to paint the outside of the cowlings either, I then wondered if this camo really existed and bingo :

p630-12.jpg

It does!

• Like 3

I sprayed the plane with some floor polish and began to work on the decals. At the same time, I was helping my daughter put some decals on her Hurricane (first time model maker) and was paying more attention to her work than mine. I soon realised that I had put one of the fuselage roundels on upside down. The white bar is not central through the roundel and I only realised this about 20 mins after I stuck it on :(

After some light swearing and careful brush / tweezer work, I managed to get the offending decal off the aircraft but much to my daughters delight, it was folded up, slightly torn and a right mess, back soaking in the water. She thought my troubles were really amusing and by now had finished her Hurricane decals which were all perfectly positioned and looking good.

I spent another 10 mins trying to rescue the ball of decal that should be the bar and roundel and managed to rescue 99% of it. 

uLwlKjS.jpg

You can see the small break in the tail end of the white bar but otherwise, after 10 mins of swearing and generally amusing my daughter I had won!

DtfZl0F.jpg

i checked over the other decals and was about to declare the disaster over when I spotted the underside wing right roundel as not even on the plane anymore. Where was it! It had gone. I checked the table, the rest of the plane and then darling daughter pointed it out, upside down and folded on my thumb :(

More hysterical laughter from the daughter as Daddy had b*llsed it up again. More water, more careful flattening out but there was no stopping the decal from ripping as I tried to separate it from my thumb. I have no idea how long it was there for. Some careful placing on the wing and it is pretty good but not perfect.

Mt5Ezec.jpg

At least I was able to amuse the daughter for 30 mins on how not to apply decals. Her Hurricane looks really good so that is something at least :) 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I've done a little panel lining with a Fineliner pen as an experiment. It was mentioned as a technique on the 1/72 Facebook group and I thought I'd give it a go.

y4m-Avijh5HAAFkw799JShv0hGy0IrYKZ-6Dvk3B

It looks pretty good. I think a couple of areas need a bit of touching up but otherwise it was good. I made a few mistakes but a cotton bud with some water soon sorted it out.

The undercarriage is on. The diagonal struts were too long and needed to be trimmed down to fit inside the wing but otherwise, it was straight forward. I need to paint the tyres a little more and stick on a whole host of little bits and pieces including the canopy and then it will be done :) 

y4m70gIYdahWnKXk8X49Enqs_BGdrzOdtYWjtL7l

• Like 11

Hi Richard,

top job on this model.

It sure beats the old Heller Musee kit.

I love your paint job.

This type of minimalistic camo was applied to many planes when the Phoney War became a reality.

A lot of Dewoitine D510 received the same treatment, and it makes for some interesting schemes.

Congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1