Giving the (new 1/72) Airfix Mossie some love and affection

Good morning

Most of remaining decals on (just spinners to do)

Bomb doors and undercarriage doors (fiddly) on

51422841436_3140f8dc28_b.jpg

51423099908_1a1127a31c_b.jpg

Minor error on decal instructions. Small print refers to decals numbered 39 (applies to 109 Sqn machine) where 24 should be used which is actually correct on the picture. Photo below will explain that better, its early!

51422047452_9dd01ed524_b.jpg

Will let remaining decals dry then get a quick blast of varnish on. I will leave minor weathering until later

SD

• Like 5

Oki doki, probably last post in WIP. Other than adding seatbelts and the fairing behind the bomb bay, totally OOB build and very enjoyable. Zero filler and trouble free. I still have to paint the frames on the clear side panels, add some colour to the wing tip lights, finish painting the exhausts and apply some very minimal weathering. That can all wait for tomorrow and I can now settle in for an afternoons cricket and F1 qualifying. Then need to decide what to finish out of the many half built kits. I have a 1/72 Tornado that has languished in the shed for a very long time. If i ever finish the Mossie, I’ll stick a photo in RFI. Thanks everybody for your kind comments and encouragement, much appreciated

51423420923_b8a09e60d6_b.jpg

51424148175_51b4eaf898_b.jpg

51423420953_ed3d27b291_b.jpg

51423423288_56287f8823_b.jpg

Thank you, and goodnight (for now)

SD

• Like 18

On 9/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, franky boy said:

Nice work SD

Its good to see a full bomb bay but it’s a shame Airfix haven’t supplied a 4000lb bomb to go with the bulged doors. 

James

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

A very nice build of this curate's egg of a kit.  The paint finish is great and It think this is a very interesting and attractive scheme. You did a great job rectifying the, in my view, huge error with the rear bomb bay fairing.   For me the issues of the kit have made it a very disappointing release from Airfix and I think I will be putting the two I bought on ebay.  Pity, as I was going to be buying at least four.  Those oversized wing spars and bomb bay doors etc are just too much of an effort to correct.  I'll be building the Tamiya kit with after-market sets, I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A very nice build of this curate's egg of a kit.  The paint finish is great and It think this is a very interesting and attractive scheme. You did a great job rectifying the, in my view, huge error with the rear bomb bay fairing.   For me the issues of the kit have made it a very disappointing release from Airfix and I think I will be putting the two I bought on ebay.  Pity, as I was going to be buying at least four.  Those oversized wing spars and bomb bay doors etc are just too much of an effort to correct.  I'll be building the Tamiya kit with after-market sets, I think.

From the outset this was going to be OOB, but even for me the fairing behind the bomb bay just looked odd. Twenty minutes with the old Milliput soon sorted that. It’s an easy build of an attractive machine, but I appreciate and understand the disappointment of many of my fellow Britmodellers. I’ll give the Tamiya one a bash at some stage just by way of a comparison and out of my own curiosity. But must press on with something that been sat on the shelf of doom for an eternity  - there’s more than enough to choose from

SD

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Simon Nonymous said:

Nice work old boy - finished mine, the Tamiya version is just fine by the way.

Got a couple of Tamiya Mossies to have a go at, but simply MUST finish a couple (at least) off the shelf of doom 

SD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Swamp Donkey, thanks so much for such an entertaining WIP of this new kit, very informative and helpful as I just was able get my copy last night here in the USA.

You've done a fine job on that one. Excellent modeling skills are no match for ever-so-slightly less than perfect kits. Yours is a beauty.

thumbnail_(301).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Funny reading that your modeling time revolves around the F1 schedule. Same thing happens in this household as well. My much-better-half and myself stop whatever we're doing and watch Qualifying and then The Race the next day. She knows the drivers and teams better than I do. Been fun watching Max mature over the years.

I've bookmarked this thread as your many roamings  about the countryside in pursuit of your gastro intestinal delights sounds like great fun and has made me hungry. The locations you mentioned are important for us as we're planning a trip, along with 4 or 5 others to the UK in '22 or '23 to race with the Historic Formula Ford series at some of your famous circuits.   https://hscc.org.uk/championships/historic-formula-ford/

1971 Lola T-202

edited-image_zpseaet3rxg.png?width=1920&

Thanks again for walking us through this most excellent "totallyunbuildableIgavemineaway" Airfix ( We're not called Air-fixers for nothing ) Mosquito build and adding a further dimension beyond the racing to our up-coming trip.

I do have a question however. In your pic of your Sunday brunch, what all is on your plate about to be washed down ( I hope ) with another delicious looking Bloody Mary?

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 1