Giving the (new 1/72) Airfix Mossie some love and affection

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I guess someone out there is already working on an aftermarket set of bomb-bay doors. Those Airfix ones are too lumpy!

@Colin @ Freightdog Models is covering most of the bases with a range of Mossie versions for the new kit starting in the next couple of weeks... A B.XVI Improvement Set is mentioned so I would guess that includes the doors - but we will have to wait and see on the specifics. 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 5

Good morning

Prior to my 1330 departure from Newcastle Central Station today, I’ve managed to touch up the paintwork and get a glossy coat on the Mossie, ready for a decaling frenzy on my return at the end of the week

51413889322_40b5f31cb1_b.jpg

51413890062_b9c8d141f7_b.jpg

SD

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Great progress SD. I'd have barely got the fuselage halves together in the same timespan! 

Trust me, this has been ridiculous for me. If it were not for my Southern sortie, I’d have had this completed in a week. I haven’t managed that speed of build for donkeys years! But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it…..so far!

SD

• Like 5

Had an hour to spare before going to catch my train, so, got decals on bombs and started to install bomb racks. Would advise glueing parts C8 and C9 to C6 and C7 prior to installation. No big deal but just a little easier

Right, that’s it for now, honest 

51415079158_4ed8be061a_b.jpg

51415079148_7e2f66f4c1_b.jpg

and yes, I should have filled that ejector pin mark but too late now. Maybe a thick layer of paint? 

SD

• Like 13

On 8/27/2021 at 5:52 PM, Bobby No Mac said:

That reminds me, must make a pilgrimage back to The Cumberland Arms again soon, fabulous boozer... 🍻 Anyway, back to the modelling - fabulous progress being made, SD. And I no longer feel so bad about having so many builds on the go! 

Just been over to the newly refurbished an reopened Cumberland Arms for a cheeky pint. What a transformation! Gone from a pretty sad boozer (lacking any love or investment latterly) to a very nice pub. I wish the new landlord every success

Now, on with the Mossie

51419715073_d519cc4989_b.jpg

As with most, if not all recent Airfix decals, these are behaving impeccably. Lay down beautifully under Micro Set/Sol

SD

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Just been over to the newly refurbished an reopened Cumberland Arms for a cheeky pint. What a transformation! Gone from a pretty sad boozer (lacking any love or investment latterly) to a very nice pub. I wish the new landlord every success

Glad to hear it's still open. Will most definitely have to visit for a look around next time I'm up in Toon.

The mossie's really looking the business now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Now, on with the Mossie

As with most, if not all recent Airfix decals, these are behaving impeccably. Lay down beautifully under Micro Set/Sol

SD

Looking good!

I am curious about the red spot on the upper fuselage, behind the canopy. Do you know what it is there for?

Chris

• Like 1

That looks great, really looking the business now. Thought I'd be able to resist getting one whilst I complete other projects, but this build is starting to test my limits of resistance to temptation.

Most taken by your "prevent-microsol/microset-from-being-knocked-over-by-clumsy-modeller" solution. Need one of those too...

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 4

That Mossie is looking very nice indeed! I definitely will be picking one up - the question is will be it sooner or rather later. I suppose if I wait a bit there will be more aftermarket goodies available for the kit, such as decals, and various bits, bobs, greebles, and especially gubbins.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bedders said:

That looks great, really looking the business now. Thought I'd be able to resist getting one whilst I complete other projects, but this build is starting to test my limits of resistance to temptation.

Most taken by your "prevent-microsol/microset-from-being-knocked-over-by-clumsy-modeller" solution. Need one of those too...

Justin

That clumsy modeller solution has paid for itself 10 times over!! Cant begin to count the times bottles of various liquids have gone flying!

SD

• Like 2

Main gear glued in place. Good lighting here is essential. It’s not too easy to see where the legs are to be seated, and trying to do this in poor light would be very difficult indeed

51421550863_4a9f3f90f7_b.jpg

51420548717_199388fe82_b.jpg

51421310821_409d486356_b.jpg

Props and tail wheel not glued, but gives a good impression of what the finished article will look like

SD

• Like 12

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I never noticed the seam strip on top of the wings before, did they all have that?

I'm assuming that your'e referring to what are called the spar caps on the wings? If so @stever219 gave a very helpful  explanation earlier in the thread (see below). So the answer is no, not all Mossies had them. There is a question over whether they are overdone in the Airfix kit and the extent to which they may benefit from being reduced a little to make them less prominent. Matter of personal choice I guess. 

On 8/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, stever219 said:

The spanwise strips are definitely there on later Mosquitos, TJ138 definitely has them, but I think that they are a little too prominent in the kit (I don’t yet have one but plan to rectangle fry that deficiency soon).  They were introduced on later aircraft as strengthening to allow the carriage of heavier underwing loads, e.g. the 100 and 200 gallon tanks of the PR. 34 and B. 35 and to accommodate the 8 x 60 lb RP installation on the FB. VI (have a look at the Airfix 1/48th FB. VI wings if you have a set handy).  The strips were, IIRC, applied to the wing skins before the final fabric covering so a slightly bevelled or faired edge would be appropriate; to that end I think I’ll be giving mine a gentle sanding when they get here.

Hope this helps 

Rich

• Like 3

I’m getting impatient now, so I’ve bombed her up! Off out shortly, but hope to have this pretty well finished by tomorrow 

51421423286_8b507982c5_b.jpg

I’ll get a little more paint on that bomb too

SD

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RichG said:

I'm assuming that your'e referring to what are called the spar caps on the wings? If so @stever219 gave a very helpful  explanation earlier in the thread (see below). So the answer is no, not all Mossies had them. There is a question over whether they are overdone in the Airfix kit and the extent to which they may benefit from being reduced a little to make them less prominent. Matter of personal choice I guess. 

Hope this helps 

Rich

It does help, never knew of the spar caps. I know there where so many versions, thany.