Giving the (new 1/72) Airfix Mossie some love and affection

15 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking the goods so far, a really nice WiP thread & good to see one of these going together, you've sold me on a couple or so. :)

Steve.

Agree Steve, I've got one on its way however judging by what's happening here I may need to add another. I quite like the 571 Squadron kit scheme although also fancy doing a Post War B.35... then there's those PR scheme's ... decisions , decisions ?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree Steve, I've got one on its way however judging by what's happening here I may need to add another. I quite like the 571 Squadron kit scheme although also fancy doing a Post War B.35... then there's those PR scheme's ... decisions , decisions ?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Definitely Dave, I've decals for a postwar B.35, keen to do a 105 sqn B.XVI & there may well be others.

Steve.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've decals for a postwar B.35

What decals are those Steve? I don’t know of any myself, but that’s not saying much. 
Cheers.. Dave 

12 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

It is a light, kit does have both a clear part (not used in this kit) and a blank part that should have gone on by this stage (step 86) unless SD has cunning plan yet to be revealed.

Good morning

Progress will be off to a slow start this morning. Just as I sat down yesterday to mask the props, Mrs SD suggested we go and indulge in the ‘Crossing the Tyne’ festival in North Shields. Several refreshments later, we eventually rolled in just before midnight. I’m not in top form this morning. However, I regret to announce, Cheshiretaurus, that there is NO cunning plan. This is 100% an oversight on my part and will be rectified immediately, or at least as soon as I regain the power of modelling (a couple of cuppas should sort that out)

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking great SD. I'd be keen to hear how you found the kit's prop design? I wasn't a fan of the Beauforts inner spindles so left them out and went down the traditional method. These Mossie props look to be another design altogether. The primer also highlights the various raised levels of this kit, especially that famous mid- fuselage strip (which looks good) and wing span-wise strips (which I'm not sure about). Great progress mate.  

Cheers.. Dave 

And a quick photo for Rabbit Leader, the props fall together effortlessly, like most of this model, tbh. They look okay to my eye

51410397485_5969bda6d6_b.jpg

I shall retire for and hour or so, have a nice cup of Ringtons tea and then crack on. We have Sunday lunch booked at the Staith House on the fish quay this afternoon which closes down for good after today. This is a shame as their Yorkshire puddings are rather nice. 

SD (currently over refreshed)

• Like 8

Okay, ready for sprayage….but, its cold and gloomy outside (I didn’t move to the North East of England for the weather), and I’m lacking motivation due to having too much fun yesterday. I’ll have another brew, catch up with yesterdays F1 qualifying and see how I feel. Ideally will get underside painted today. We shall see

51410320954_66f17fd2a5_b.jpg

SD

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The primer also highlights the various raised levels of this kit, especially that famous mid- fuselage strip (which looks good) and wing span-wise strips (which I'm not sure about). Great progress mate.  

Cheers.. Dave 

The spanwise strips are definitely there on later Mosquitos, TJ138 definitely has them, but I think that they are a little too prominent in the kit (I don’t yet have one but plan to rectangle fry that deficiency soon).  They were introduced on later aircraft as strengthening to allow the carriage of heavier underwing loads, e.g. the 100 and 200 gallon tanks of the PR. 34 and B. 35 and to accommodate the 8 x 60 lb RP installation on the FB. VI (have a look at the Airfix 1/48th FB. VI wings if you have a set handy).  The strips were, IIRC, applied to the wing skins before the final fabric covering so a slightly bevelled or faired edge would be appropriate; to that end I think I’ll be giving mine a gentle sanding when they get here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the explanation @stever219, that’s well written and really helpful. At this stage I intend to build mine as a B.35 so am comfortable leaving them as is with this new fact now known. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Okay, had an hour in the shed. I read on one of the Mossie posts elsewhere something about a missing rear hatch, and somebody pointing out that it was there, but it’s very lightly scribed. The thought was this would disappear under primer and paint. Well, I can now announce it’s still there. Tah Dah….!

51409762731_eca46b3c36_b.jpg

Coat of Colourcoats medium sea grey is on, spinners and prop tips painted (may need another coat), bombs done…will let that lot dry as I need to prepare for roast Sunday lunch. I may post a picture of that later. No frivolity and frolics planned for tomorrow so should be able to crack on and get the camo done. I have to say that doing this as a WIP has certainly given me the motivation to keep things moving along. Maybe a lesson for the future? Then again, it’s not finished yet!

51410512884_2a5e1dbcd4_b.jpg

51409007382_115fac35e5_b.jpg

Possibly a little touching up required on that bottom seam….will ponder that

SD

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Okay, had an hour in the shed. I read on one of the Mossie posts elsewhere something about a missing rear hatch, and somebody pointing out that it was there, but it’s very lightly scribed. The thought was this would disappear under primer and paint. Well, I can now announce it’s still there. Tah Dah….!

51409762731_eca46b3c36_b.jpg

Coat of Colourcoats medium sea grey is on, spinners and prop tips painted (may need another coat), bombs done…will let that lot dry as I need to prepare for roast Sunday lunch. I may post a picture of that later. No frivolity and frolics planned for tomorrow so should be able to crack on and get the camo done. I have to say that doing this as a WIP has certainly given me the motivation to keep things moving along. Maybe a lesson for the future? Then again, it’s not finished yet!

51410512884_2a5e1dbcd4_b.jpg

51409007382_115fac35e5_b.jpg

Possibly a little touching up required on that bottom seam….will ponder that

SD

Looking very nice @Swamp Donkey.  It may be a bit late for you but real Mosquito fuselages are joined along the centre line "Just like an Airfix kit" (to paraphrase their 60s advrtising tag line).  If you have some very thin plasticard, 5 thou for preference, you could replicate the capping strip over the splice top n bottom.  10 thou or even thin paper could also do the job.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Those raised wing-spars just don't look right overscaled. I will sand mine down. 

Perhaps a little bit.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Second coat of Ocean Grey applied, spinners given a quick second blast of blue and messing around with the tyres. Will give the grey a couple of hours, hopefully I can get a coat of green on later. Will see how quickly the grey coat takes to dry. I’m down to London for a couple of days tomorrow, so want to get as much done as possible before departing

51412679978_fe505d2955_b.jpg

SD

• Like 5

Paint on, masking off. Have to say I’m happy with my first go with the Colourcoats paints. Will let this cure overnight now and hopefully get the wings and tail planes glued, and with a fair wind a coat of varnish ready for decals when I get back. A little bit of touching up to do, too

51412973601_f5531b474b_b.jpg

51413238698_a72ccc6d11_b.jpg

51412973621_f080accc95_b.jpg

SD

• Like 15