Giving the (new 1/72) Airfix Mossie some love and affection

A small interlude, my situation normal. Doing a WIP has certainly ‘motivated’ me to crack on with the Mossie. I think I’ll get on with the Bucc as and when I finished the current build

51405520771_0944dc510b_b.jpg

SD

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

SafetyDad…I’m not a native, having spent first 59 years of my life just to west of London, working at LHR for 44 of those years. There’s a clue on the price label of the extra thin cement - I miss TAHS. 

SD mk2

When the present uncertainty settles more convincingly then you'll be able to reacquaint yourself with the TAHS at the IPMS Northern Show. They've attended in the past. They also come to the Scale Scotland show in Edinburgh.

The Northern Show is held in...   North Shields! 

Always a good occasion and well worth attending. The IPMS website is showing the provisional dates for 2022.

SD

I think the town (or Toon) is big enough for two SDs

:giggle:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Off to see a bunch of youngsters from Byker...

That reminds me, must make a pilgrimage back to The Cumberland Arms again soon, fabulous boozer... 🍻 Anyway, back to the modelling - fabulous progress being made, SD. And I no longer feel so bad about having so many builds on the go! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

That reminds me, must make a pilgrimage back to The Cumberland Arms again soon, fabulous boozer... 🍻 Anyway, back to the modelling - fabulous progress being made, SD. And I no longer feel so bad about having so many builds on the go! 

The Cumberland Arms is currently being refurbished and covered in scaffolding. No more than 3 minutes from my front door. Worth checking out the super interview in The Cumberland Arms of Mark Knopfler by Brian Johnson. I had to go and have a pint and sit in THE seat after the program was screened. The episode with the legend that is Robert Plant is worth a watch too

And that photo isn’t the half of it…wait until I move in to the shed to start spraying, there’s stacks laying idle in there too.

SD

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

When the present uncertainty settles more convincingly then you'll be able to reacquaint yourself with the TAHS at the IPMS Northern Show. They've attended in the past. They also come to the Scale Scotland show in Edinburgh.

The Northern Show is held in...   North Shields! 

Always a good occasion and well worth attending. The IPMS website is showing the provisional dates for 2022.

SD

I think the town (or Toon) is big enough for two SDs

:giggle:

Yep, did the North Shields show when it was last held in 2019. I was commuting backwards and forwards for a while then (long old drive)

And Toon definitely big enough for two SD’s 

SD

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 8:55 AM, Swamp Donkey said:

Plan to fit open bomb bay doors and comments about fit of closed doors seem fair enough, although I’ve not tried very hard to fit this properly.

For what its worth, I noticed on my build (still at various sub-assembly stage) that the locating tabs at the back of the bomb-bay are very a tight fit and it's possible to align everything and join the fuselage halfs together without these fully seated in their respective slots in the fuselage sides. Mine required the application of a little force on both sides in that area when bringing the fuselage together followed by a satisfying "click". Even so I can still see a very slight gap in this area on mine. I did wonder if these tabs might be responsible for the closed doors not quite sitting flush (i.e. pushing the bomb bay opening slightly wider)?

Just a thought.

Rich  

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:18 PM, Swamp Donkey said:

just sheer, unadulterated joy of the build!

Amen to that brother...that would be the second 'amen brother' btw...

This looks to be a nice kit.  I will have to add it to the stash!  I am in Athens in a couple of weeks.  I'll hopefully find it at one of the LHS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51406605402_3889f2be2b_b.jpg

Nose masked and attached. As much as I try, I cannot effectively mask the side windows, so…..I’m going to glue them in place, mask them off in their entirety and worry about them later! Life’s too short

SD

• Like 7

Okay, I’ve invested 10 minutes with the Milliput here as I just think it looks better. The other fairing does look odd. Hopefully a few minutes well spent

51408408435_f3cd27a060_b.jpg

I’ll tidy it up later

SD

• Like 11

Work has moved to the shed, and just to prove

1/ I did recently invest is dozens of Colourcoats enamels…

51407784743_f11af8328f_b.jpg

51408495025_8f3f72b163_b.jpg

And 2/ I do occasionally finish a kit

51407517176_5a2e3e33ac_b.jpg

51408273489_9620be72f8_b.jpg

However, I’m back in to watch the first hour or so of the Test Match and F1 qualifying

At least it’ll gives time for the Milliput to harden

SD

• Like 23

On 8/27/2021 at 11:29 AM, Swamp Donkey said:

A small interlude, my situation normal. Doing a WIP has certainly ‘motivated’ me to crack on with the Mossie. I think I’ll get on with the Bucc as and when I finished the current build

51405520771_0944dc510b_b.jpg

SD

Great built of the mossie, so I'm not the only one who has half a dozen models on the go and never seems to finish anything???

Is that a siskin in the back ground??

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, invidia said:

Great built of the mossie, so I'm not the only one who has half a dozen models on the go and never seems to finish anything???

Is that a siskin in the back ground??

Indeed it is, no real excuse for not finishing it. Just idle on my part

51408390634_d5fb6fb09e_b.jpg

SD

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, TomW said:

Looking very nice indeed! I hope the nose glazing doesn't pick up any overspray inside through the open nose windows 😲

Gahhh!! I hope not!

SD

34 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I just noticed the notch in the starboard wing leading edge. Is that for a light? I didn't think Mossie's had lights there.

It is a light, kit does have both a clear part (not used in this kit) and a blank part that should have gone on by this stage (step 86) unless SD has cunning plan yet to be revealed.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I just noticed the notch in the starboard wing leading edge. Is that for a light? I didn't think Mossie's had lights there.

Chris

It's the later position for the landing lights on B/TT. 35s, T. 3s and (I stand to be erected on this) B/PR. XVIs and PR. 34s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking great SD. I'd be keen to hear how you found the kit's prop design? I wasn't a fan of the Beauforts inner spindles so left them out and went down the traditional method. These Mossie props look to be another design altogether. The primer also highlights the various raised levels of this kit, especially that famous mid- fuselage strip (which looks good) and wing span-wise strips (which I'm not sure about). Great progress mate.  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2