1/72 Hawker Tempest

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I like. I like the saturated colours, is that the model or the photography?

Hi Bertie, thanks! The colour reproduction of my old D700 brings out the paint work really well. I only toned down it down with very minor tweaks to the contrast. 

Thanks gents! This old Academy kit is fun to build.

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

That's a lovely job. Those late war paint jobs really snap, with the yellow edges, red nose and type C roundels!

Thanks Tony, I wonder why did they paint the leading edge of the wings yellow? Is it to improve visibility?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Thanks Tony, I wonder why did they paint the leading edge of the wings yellow? Is it to improve visibility?

It was a quick visual IIFFwhen in a head-on situation.  For RAF and other allied air forces ifcyou could see yellow leading edges from around half-span to tip it's one of ours.  These stripes were not applied to aircraft other than fighters, nor were they applied to fighters operating outside Northern and Western Europe.

Strictly true, but 880 Sq of the FAA carried full Fighter Command trim throughout their cruise on Indomitable.  Trim for the invasion of Madagascar was yellow leading edges inboard: for Pedestal (Malta run) it was yellow outer leading edges and yellow fins.  The yellow leading edges (and sky band) were seen late n the war on Spitfires in Italy, and at least one Hurricane in India.  Yes, there's always an exception...well. usually.

• Like 1