New Airfix Mosquito - PR versions?

Tom R

Is it possible to make a Mosquito PRXVI or Mosquito PR.34 from the kit? What modifications are required beyond the cameras in the bomb bay?

i am happy to do any scratchbuilding mods or correct the very minor apparent deficiencies in the kit without whingeing about it.

From what I've seen (just online at this stage) two canopies with optional side blisters and bulges are provided on the clear sprue. You will also get various small camera port clear parts which suggests that a dedicated PR boxing will be issued some time in the future. Another hint to this release are small Camera port indentations to drill out inside the fuselage halves.  What Airfix do not provide is the correct bulged section aft of the bomb bay / camera bay doors. They have scanned a TT.35 and provided a piece that represents this version. Freightdog Models have advised that a number of Bomber and PR Conversion / Correction sets will be made available very shortly. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 7

It's funny isn't it, I have been looking at Mosquito kits and images for over fifty years and never considered the difference in the rear bombay shape! I sometimes think ignorance is bliss, but I am intrigued to investigate it now. Every day is a school day as they say.

Keith

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Off the top of my head I would say that it also involves replacing canopy with the one with slightly bulged side transparencies. Cheers

Jure

All 2-stage engine Mosquitos (except the B.IX) used the blown side windows, as they all (except the B.IX) had pressurised cockpits. The typical difference between Bomber of Photo Reconnaissance Mosquito canopies was whether or not the escape hatch was flat or had the astrodome. Even then, it was a removable panel and could easily be switched between aircraft should anyone have a requirement to.

Note that you'd often see the PR.34s with the larger elevators.

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

From what I've seen (just online at this stage) two canopies with optional side blisters and bulges are provided on the clear sprue. You will also get various small camera port clear parts which suggests that a dedicated PR boxing will be issued some time in the future. Another hint to this release are small Camera port indentations to drill out inside the fuselage halves. 

Yeah agreed; looks like a PR version is in the pipeline (not sure how far up... maybe 2022?). Another clue being no sprue D in the current release -    sprues run from A-H with bits specifically intended for a B.XVI variant all grouped on sprue E. 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. It looks as though I will have to wait and see what's in the kit or wait for the 2024-5 PR release. I am sure I can do just as good a job as Freightdog. I saw the Rumourmonger thread and others - there's only a few small bits of worthwhile information and a lot of kak.

Edited by Tom R

There was also the PR.IX which had the normal/tear drop side panels as this was also unpressurised, same as the B.IX.

According to Bae Systems web page some 90 PR.IX's were built compared to 54 B.IX's although small in comparison to the PR.XVI (433) and PR.34 (231).

Regards

Colin.

Ps. the kit only comes with the bulged doors and aft fairing, both based upon the TT.35 and not the B.XVI or B.35 as should have been the case

Hello

Thank you, Jamie, I did not know this. Had all post-war two-stage Merlin versions had pressurized cockpits? If so, this would help to explain how during STO crisis 1953-54 Yugoslav air force NF.38 Mosquitos, converted into PR machines, managed to take photos of targets deep into Italian territory from our side of the border. Cheers

Jure

Both the RAF and Ministry of Aircraft Production say 4 mark XV were new builds, the RAF says 5 ordered, it seems the usual case of the reports omitting prototypes and/or development aircraft.

However the 5th mark XV is associated with a report anomaly "Memo states this aircraft originally signalled as a mark XVI but is actually a pressure cabin to PR mark VIII standard, in fact it appears to be MP469 the mark XV prototype."  British Aircraft Production Reports, for those who enjoy puzzles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1