Alfa 8C wire wheels anyone?

nick

Now I've started to draw it, I'm wondering if the Star Wars guys got some of their inspiration from an ancient  Bentley crankcase?

51492597166_4821a62211_b.jpg

Nick

• Like 3

Hi Nick,

That looks very interesting, so some more Bentley bits may be on the way, fantastic !

The wheels look excellent as well, though on the real cars the knockoff hub is in two parts, the centre is actually a separate screw in (hence the hex end) dust cover on the end of the splined hub, with the bit with the ears for hitting as a ring that fits over it.

The crankcase looks very good, I posted some bits of rather oily dismantled Bentley bits a while ago, see below, but if you would like any more please shout, though they are of the very similar 3 litre.

One of the most noticeable problems with the Airfix kit is the radiator shell, they managed to put the badge in the wrong place, any thoughts on that as a project......... ?

Looks like its nearly time to break out the blower I have in the stash, wonderful stuff :worthy:

Cheers

David

2 hours ago, Dancona said:

Hi Nick,

That looks very interesting, so some more Bentley bits may be on the way, fantastic !

The wheels look excellent as well, though on the real cars the knockoff hub is in two parts, the centre is actually a separate screw in (hence the hex end) dust cover on the end of the splined hub, with the bit with the ears for hitting as a ring that fits over it.

The crankcase looks very good, I posted some bits of rather oily dismantled Bentley bits a while ago, see below, but if you would like any more please shout, though they are of the very similar 3 litre.

One of the most noticeable problems with the Airfix kit is the radiator shell, they managed to put the badge in the wrong place, any thoughts on that as a project......... ?

Looks like its nearly time to break out the blower I have in the stash, wonderful stuff :worthy:

Cheers

David

Don’t worry, I’ve been making good use of your photos already!

So far everything I’ve looked at in the Bentley kit has gone in the ‘that’ll have to go’ pile. 

I may salvage the Chassis rails simply because they are bigger than my current printer (for now, more on that later) 

Ive come close to finishing the engine CAD today, more will follow!

I eventually found the knock offs are two part, so what’s actually wrong with mine? Should they have some thread showing at the end of the hex part then maybe?

regards

Nick

Dear Nick

14 hours ago, nick said:

so what’s actually wrong with mine?

Absolutely nothing, they look spot on, I only mentioned it because you appear to be as much of a scale engineer as a modelmaker, and a couple of weeks ago I was setting about one with a large hammer and I thought of you and took a picture (touching eh !) 😁

Brake linkage

The drums at the back are so thick because there are two sets of shoes in tandem, one for the footbrake and one completely independent set for the handbrake, over engineered or what !!

Your block looks fantastic, spot on again, you have no idea how exciting this is, at last, proper Bentley bits, I think that you deserve a place on the new years honours list !! 

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Just now, Dancona said:

Dear Nick

Absolutely nothing, they look spot on, I only mentioned it because you appear to be as much of a scale engineer as a modelmaker, and a couple of weeks ago I was setting about one with a large hammer and I thought of you and took a picture (touching eh !) 😁

Brake linkage

The drums at the back are so thick because there are two sets of shoes in tandem, one for the footbrake and one completely independent set for the handbrake, over engineered or what !!

Your block looks fantastic, spot on again, you have no idea how exciting this is, at last, proper Bentley bits, I think that you deserve a place on the new years honours list !! 

Cheers

David

David,

you're too kind! I just opened a new thread for the Bentley as I ended up hijacking my own Alfa one!

That's a great shot, I'm just about to tackle the drums (well it's on a long, growing list)  and was wondering what the spline shaft looked like.

Is that a 4 1/2 L supercharged setup or something else?

Nick

8 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Dear Nick

Brake linkage

Cheers

David

Totally agree with you David although I think 'Sir Nick' might be a little over the top even though it has a ring to it. It's refreshing to find other modellers on here who (and I hope no one takes this as insulting) are as dedicated to the truth in detail as I have become and strive for, after all, it's where the devil is!

6 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

Totally agree with you David although I think 'Sir Nick' might be a little over the top even though it has a ring to it. It's refreshing to find other modellers on here who (and I hope no one takes this as insulting) are as dedicated to the truth in detail as I have become and strive for, after all, it's where the devil is!

Tony, you shouldn’t be too hasty with these things 😎

did you spot your decal opportunity in David’s photo BTW?

Nick

Hi Nick,

The photo is actually a 3 litre but the chassis, brakes, suspension etc. on all of the four cylinder cars were fundamentally the same, the four and a half was basically a bored out 3 litre with a few minor tweaks.

Here is the wheel

Brake linkage

And the handbrake mechanism, you can see that it is all the same as the four and a half.

Brake linkage

Anyway, stunning stuff, I suspect I will be giving you a lot of money in the future !🤣

2 minutes ago, Dancona said:

Hi Nick,

The photo is actually a 3 litre but the chassis, brakes, suspension etc. on all of the four cylinder cars were fundamentally the same, the four and a half was basically a bored out 3 litre with a few minor tweaks.

Here is the wheel

Brake linkage

And the handbrake mechanism, you can see that it is all the same as the four and a half.

Brake linkage

Anyway, stunning stuff, I suspect I will be giving you a lot of money in the future !🤣

Excellent photos, I've been a bit torn with wheel weights, no two cars  seem the same, so I'm debating whether to include them or not? are all wheels drilled with the 4 holes regardless? I could include a couple of different styles I guess, they're easy to do.

Nick

2 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

The Shock absorber adjuster? I did, it's on my list too

👍

4 minutes ago, nick said:

did you spot your decal opportunity in David’s photo BTW?

I think you may be referring to this, and by a sheer coincidence, I did think about decals !!!

Bentley

14 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

it's where the devil is!

You sir are absolutely on the ball !!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dancona said:

I think you may be referring to this, and by a sheer coincidence, I did think about decals !!!

Bentley

You sir are absolutely on the ball !!! 

Hello David. Yes, that's great. I'm working on a set of decals at the moment for the 'Blower' instrument dials - and anything else - are you aware of any other items on the Bentley with graphic details?

Tony