Alfa 8C wire wheels anyone?

nick

14 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Have you considered opening a thread on F1M?

Britmodeller is great and I love it but you would get much wider audience 

Yes did that, thank you, working well with lots of interest, so I’ve just enabled shipping to the US now.

Regards

Nick

OK folks unobtainium is officially up and running. Webshop is active and currently shipping to the UK and US, Europe coming soon, once I figure out the idiotic red tape (thanks Boris). 

airfix Bentley and italeri Fiat Mestofele kits arriving next week (I had to phone my accountant  to triple check that I can actually buy models through my business now! Yes, yes I can) so a minimum of wire wheels, and no doubt a bunch of other upgrades coming for these soon, as soon as I get my paws on them, so stay tuned. 

thanks for all your support 

Nick. 

• Like 3

As a few future 1/12 suggestions:-

Lotus 49 brake calipers (kit only supplies half a caliper for each wheel)

Honda RA273 brake calipers - (kits are fiction and only supply half a caliper)

Honda RA273 accel cable pulley wheel and mount

Lotus 49 rear wheel rims (kit has wrong profile)

Lotus 49 wheel nuts

Lotus 49 front top wishbones (kits are wrong profile)

Lotus 49b front top wishbones as above and swept forward to extend wheel base

There are a heap of other changes to the 49b including wider tyres and different size wheel rims.

M.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Lotus 49 wheel nuts

There are a heap of other changes to the 49b including wider tyres and different size wheel rims.

M.

I'm with you Malc on all those. Mind you, I still think the main obstacle with both the Lotus variants is to fix the DFV engine block and gearbox.

7 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Lotus 49 wheel nuts

M.

Malc,

Thanks for your list, I’m quietly buying up 1/12 kits to savage, currently I have the airfix Bentley and Fiat Mestopheles, I’m watching a few of the old Tamiya F1 kits on evil bay. 

my logic is that I am prioritising the models still currently available first, then I’ll turn my attention to all the things in people’s stashes. 

if you’re happy to supply some measurements, photos and references for your list, let’s have a look at those too. 

thanks again

Nick

9 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

I'm with you Malc on all those. Mind you, I still think the main obstacle with both the Lotus variants is to fix the DFV engine block and gearbox.

Hi Tony, 

Yes with you there, as soon as I pick up any of the kits with the DFV I will produce one as it can be used in several different kits as well as a stand alone model. 
Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nick, I've got a big box of Tamiya F1 spares which have DFV parts in it, (whole Engines, made and unmade) PM me for what you need and I'll have a look.

I think a range of generic DFV or F1 parts would sell well, throttle linkages, throttle plates with springs and with covers, injectors, Koni shocks with adjuster details, etc.

Dave

2 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Nick, I've got a big box of Tamiya F1 spares which have DFV parts in it, (whole Engines, made and unmade) PM me for what you need and I'll have a look.

I think a range of generic DFV or F1 parts would sell well, throttle linkages, throttle plates with springs and with covers, injectors, Koni shocks with adjuster details, etc.

Dave

And a complete 1/8 scale DFV as a stand alone model would be awesome.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

And a complete 1/8 scale DFV as a stand alone model would be awesome.

And Pocher have announced a 1/8 scale Lotus 72, so that will require some DFV parts I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Church said:

@nick, thanks for adding the five-pack of wire wheels for the roadster version. I don't have the kit yet and I may not have space to store, build, or display it, but your wheels are reason enough to add an 8C to my backlog. I'll put in an order soon 

Thanks for the compliment, I must talk to Italeri about commission… 😎👍

Nick

I know that this would have half the amount of wheels than what is normally worked on, but a better front end for the Italeri/Protar Norton Manx is begging for attention.  It has "working" forks which look (are) so wrong and to bring them back to look right would be new forks/sliders, triple clamps, mudguard - not to mention the wheels needing a re-spoke too.

Tony

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, Michael Church said:

@nick, thanks for adding the five-pack of wire wheels for the roadster version. I don't have the kit yet and I may not have space to store, build, or display it, but your wheels are reason enough to add an 8C to my backlog. I'll put in an order soon 

Is the pack for the roadster on the website, can't see them when I looked.

And I take it the wheels are the same for both types

Edit: found it, blind as a bat 😄

Noice!

You gonna do tyres as well?

If so - which tread pattern? Blockley?

M.

PS, just remembered - the Bentley number plate needs re-doing with a much wider font to match the real thing.

Edited by Malc2

56 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Noice!

You gonna do tyres as well?

If so - which tread pattern? Blockley?

M.

PS, just remembered - the Bentley number plate needs re-doing with a much wider font to match the real thing.

Haven’t figured out how to do tyres yet, still thinking about. Flexible printable resins are available but I haven’t experimented with them yet. 

if I go for solid resin, I need a means of splitting either them and/or the rims. 

so not in the short term, maybe later. 

there is very little to like about the Bentley kit, I’m currently looking at upgrading most of it. 

regards

Nick

Sorry, text in German, but maybe it works as a source of inspiration:

CAD 3D model of object,

software creates casting mold,

3D printer prints PLA or polycarbonate mold,

mold is filled with urethane (of resultin proper shore hardness).

Maybe for the precision needed here you will have to apply some vacuum or a shaker to get air bubbles out and maybe it is "impossible" - but winter is coming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

Sorry, text in German, but maybe it works as a source of inspiration:

CAD 3D model of object,

software creates casting mold,

3D printer prints PLA or polycarbonate mold,

mold is filled with urethane (of resultin proper shore hardness).

Maybe for the precision needed here you will have to apply some vacuum or a shaker to get air bubbles out and maybe it is "impossible" - but winter is coming.

Yes I’ve seen this done too.

This example is using FDM printing technology, not SLA which is a lot more crude, it is another option though.

Honestly, I’m not sure I want to get into casting in volume, 3D printing is a simple workflow that is mostly automated with wash cure systems, this is probably more effort and failure rate than I’m willing to take on. 

in my head, I don’t mind a lot of one-off front-loaded effort to design and CAD draw things, as long as I can just press a button to repeat them subsequently (what I’m doing) the casting technique means physically making stuff over and over again, which isn’t really for me. 

regards and thanks for the support and suggestions 

Nick

• Like 2

Here’s a sneak peek of the the prototype Bentley Blower wheels

51488888062_f8842b34eb_b.jpg

they’ve got the 4 studs on the back to fit the (hideous, inaccurate) airfix brake drums. I’ll be addressing these too in the fullness of time!  For now, they fit the kit items. 

51490012491_1b626f0ab2_b.jpg

Nick

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 7:15 AM, nick said:

Malc,

Thanks for your list, I’m quietly buying up 1/12 kits to savage, currently I have the airfix Bentley and Fiat Mestopheles, I’m watching a few of the old Tamiya F1 kits on evil bay. 

my logic is that I am prioritising the models still currently available first, then I’ll turn my attention to all the things in people’s stashes. 

if you’re happy to supply some measurements, photos and references for your list, let’s have a look at those too. 

thanks again

Nick

Hi Nick,

I posted a few of the photos I took of a Bentley at Goodwood here:-

Click on the first link (4th April 2015)  to take you to the correct post on page 7

I have a few more I took too.........

Glad you mentioned the brake drums!

Malc

Edited by Malc2