Alfa 8C wire wheels anyone?

nick

Just finished all the photography for my assembly instructions. I’ve made about 6 wheels now and they are going together very nicely compared to version 1 !

Stay tuned folks!

Regards

Nick

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 12:21 AM, nick said:

I’ll print to a few more to ensure it’s reliable, but looking good I think!

Nick

You know that thing about speaking too soon? I’ve had nothing but print failures today. I’ve tweaked the design again to add a tiny bit more support so hopefully that will work better tomorrow. One step forward…

Nick

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, nick said:

You know that thing about speaking too soon? I’ve had nothing but print failures today. I’ve tweaked the design again to add a tiny bit more support so hopefully that will work better tomorrow. One step forward…

Nick

Hi, going back many posts you said you dropped your build plate , do you not use a flex plate ? , very well worth the money if you don’t !!

Keep up the good work and if your not too busy nip round and teach me F360 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, paulyoung666 said:

Hi, going back many posts you said you dropped your build plate , do you not use a flex plate ? , very well worth the money if you don’t !!

Keep up the good work and if your not too busy nip round and teach me F360 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve never felt the need for a flex plate  to be honest.

All my bases have a chamfer built in (I draw my supports, never generate them) so everything comes off easily with a scraper. 

I dropped it during draining which presumably you still do even with a flexible plate? I put the cover on during draining to keep the UV out and it’s easy to catch the plate when removing it and it’s perfectly angled, pointy side down to puncture the FEP and chip the screen when if does come off. I guess I need to learn to nip the clamp screw up when it’s on the draining bracket. 

My friend Lynda taught me fusion, I’m sure she would teach you too if you follow the link.

Nick 

• Like 1

Even got one on each corner now in some rare British sunshine

51427303809_78f12505c7_h.jpg

51426551366_6ec2d546ca_h.jpg

just working on the manual and website and then I will be taking advance orders for these. 

regards

Nick. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:49 AM, albergman said:

These are wonderful and just begging for a nice chromed rim!

Nah! Doesn’t do it for me. 😎

51427597530_0d93c091c5_h.jpg

ive got a few spares now!

Nick

• Like 1

Nick, have you thought about maybe getting a modelling magazine to do an article on your stuff?   The engine and wheels could generate a lot of interest.

Frank.

1 minute ago, albergman said:

Nick, have you thought about maybe getting a modelling magazine to do an article on your stuff?   The engine and wheels could generate a lot of interest.

Frank.

That’s a really good idea Frank, I may well do that. Thank you.

Nick

2 hours ago, nick said:

If anyone is interested in how my wire-wheel system works, I’ve finished writing the manual today:

Unobtainium Alfa 8C wire wheel manual

regards

Nick

Hi Nick

A  really good and fairly simple way to do it.  I may be missing something, but when do you insert the very back row of spokes?

3 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Hi Nick

A  really good and fairly simple way to do it.  I may be missing something, but when do you insert the very back row of spokes?

Good spot, there was a typo on page 9. this is why the manual is electronic, if you look again, its fixed now :) i had a-B where it should have said b-A the photos are correct!

Nick

4 hours ago, nick said:

Good spot, there was a typo on page 9. this is why the manual is electronic, if you look again, its fixed now :) i had a-B where it should have said b-A the photos are correct!

Nick

At one stage of my life I was in charge of writing repair manuals for the US Army, and then proving them with duff components to a bunch of retired sergeants who knew exactly how a bored grunt would react. It wasn't the best two weeks I've spent....

Just now, Jo NZ said:

At one stage of my life I was in charge of writing repair manuals for the US Army, and then proving them with duff components to a bunch of retired sergeants who knew exactly how a bored grunt would react. It wasn't the best two weeks I've spent....

I can imagine!

I've been test driving/building these wheels for Nick since they were delivered yesterday at 2pm. At one point I had to message Nick with my reaction, I'd previously told him I was enjoying the whole process:

"I can't see how any modeller with even a modicum of interest in improving or making more authentic the basic model wouldn't thoroughly enjoy this. I'm not saying it's easy but neither is it beyond anyone with even moderate skill."

The sense of achievement with the build of these wheels is tremendous. The professional and authentic look of the finished pieces will be a joy. 

Thanks Nick for giving me the opportunity to test the build for you.

17 minutes ago, modelbautony said:

I've been test driving/building these wheels for Nick since they were delivered yesterday at 2pm. At one point I had to message Nick with my reaction, I'd previously told him I was enjoying the whole process:

"I can't see how any modeller with even a modicum of interest in improving or making more authentic the basic model wouldn't thoroughly enjoy this. I'm not saying it's easy but neither is it beyond anyone with even moderate skill."

The sense of achievement with the build of these wheels is tremendous. The professional and authentic look of the finished pieces will be a joy. 

Thanks Nick for giving me the opportunity to test the build for you.

Thanks Tony, great that you’re having fun with them!

Nick

14 hours ago, Dancona said:

Absolute genius Nick, I'm in (if you'll have me !)

Ill have some of your wheels too 😁

Cheers

David

David,

Great thanks. The order taking system is up and running on the website now, so you should be able to place an order before the stampede! :)

regards

Nick

I have received a set of the Honda RA273 exhausts and can confirm that they are fantastic!

Future suggestions:-

Wire wheels for the 1/12 Airfix Bentley (although I am sure you are already doing these?)

Suspension dampers for the same

Is there somewhere for suggestions on the website?

M.

7 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

I have received a set of the Honda RA273 exhausts and can confirm that they are fantastic!

Future suggestions:-

Wire wheels for the 1/12 Airfix Bentley (although I am sure you are already doing these?)

Suspension dampers for the same

Is there somewhere for suggestions on the website?

M.

Malc,

thanks for your great feedback

as for suggestions, yes if you click the 'join facebook group' link, there is a suggestions and poll area on there for just this purpose.

I will update the website to make this clearer - good feedback.

Yes the Bentley is next on the list. I have offered Mike review samples of both the exhaust and wheels but haven't had a response. Hyperscale will be reviewing both as soon as they havewinged their way across the pond.

Thanks for you support.

Regards,

Nick