Airfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim IV (02027-1)

Having enjoyed building the old Airfix "rivet queen" Liberator, I thought I would glue some more rivets together. This time it is a Seventies boxing of the old-tool Airfix 1/72 Bristol Blenheim IV (02027-1):

Blenheim_72_2021_GB_053.JPG

Blenheim_72_2021_GB_052.JPG

Blenheim_72_2021_GB_054.JPG

Blenheim_72_2021_GB_055.JPG

Blenheim_72_2021_GB_056.JPG

This was an OOB build and apart from spending an age trying to get the cockpit canopy to fit, I left it with all it's warts, including slightly off-register roundels.

Dave

• Like 26

Excellent! I love a bit of nostalgia, this takes me back nearly 50 years to the build it before bedtime days I am sure a lot of us remember. Mine was obviously not the outstanding standard of your beautiful model though! 

Richie

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

In case you don’t know, they do sell a box of assorted sizes of those stands:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/assorted-small-stands-af1008

Thanks for this. I think I did know now that you mention it. My point sort of was that way back then, the stand came with the kit and wouldn’t it be nice if that were to happen again.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Having spent over 25 years outside of modelling, a lot of my builds were done in the Sixties and Seventies prior to my joining the Royal Navy in 1976 and it wasn't until the end of 2004 that I resumed modelling again. As a result, many of the "old-tool" builds I am doing now are of kits that I have only built once before. They are bringing back a lot of memories of a time when I would get my paper and milk round money and head off to the local hardware shop which sold Airfix models. I would buy enough kits to keep me going until the following week!

The Blenheim is as near to a "Seventies" build as I have got so far in that it was OOB but the use of an airbrush is the only difference. I probably have two-dozen more "rivet" jobs that I intend to build in the same way.

Dave

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, davecov said:

I probably have two-dozen more "rivet" jobs that I intend to build in the same way.

Dave

Look forward to seeing them Dave. Are the Devastator or Dauntless among them, by any chance? Those two were among my favourites as a lad. 

I've been revisiting these old tool kits myself - mostly armour at the moment, although I have a stack of Airfix and Matchbox aircraft waiting in the hangar. Still need to get the Fiat G-50 which was the first one I did completely unaided. Sometime in the mid 1970s. I think the Blenheim may have been tackled soon after.😀 

All the best,

Ian

6 hours ago, IanC said:

Look forward to seeing them Dave. Are the Devastator or Dauntless among them, by any chance? Those two were among my favourites as a lad. 

Hi Ian,

I have both of those in the Airfix VJ-Day set along with a Zero, Val and a Helldiver. Other rivet jobs that I have to build include the Stirling, B-29 Superfortress, Sea King and a Puma. I also have lots of other old-tool Airfix kits that were spared the wrath of the Airfix riveter to be built. I hope to build them all OOB inbetween other bigger builds.

Dave