A pig on a truck

Lummox

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 10:14 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Plausible is plenty good enough for me. Well done!

Cheers Bertie - plausible certainly works for me too! 👍

Time for another update methinks. Continuing where we left off, you may (or may not) recall the suggestions that there may have been a ruddy great bolt running through the warhead to allow attachment to the main body of the Pig. If this was the case, then it would follow that there would need to be something for the bolt to screw into. Naturally there is no evidence for this, so it's imagination time again:

nose1.jpg

The flange thing around the nose didn't look right to me. I suspect it's an attempt to represent the attachment collar used in the dual warhead variant:

nose2.jpg

Certainly there doesn't appear to be a flange evident on the single warheads examples:

nose3.jpg

So the flange was removed, to be replaced by a simple weld bead:

nose4.jpg

The fast dive tank created earlier (seems like eons ago!) was added to the Pig body, including attachment brackets made out of aluminium strips from a beer can. I gave the inside of the fast dive tank a squirt of black before attachment. The over-spray looks awful, but never mind:

nose5.jpg

And here was have the Pig and warhead together. I've added a rule to give some idea of the size of the thing in its entirety, but the plan is for the body and warhead to be presented separately:

nose6.jpg

The components of the Pig will be sat in their own individual cradles, the one for the body being created some time ago. Lashing hoops were fashioned out of wire and aluminium to allow the body to be secured to the cradle for transportation:

nose7.jpg

A similar cradle was knocked up for the warhead, using components of a stand that was included in the kit:

nose8.jpg

The warhead looks to be quite at home on its cradle:

nose9.jpg

And here we have the eponymous 'Pig on a Truck'. You know, slowly but surely we might just be getting there :wink::

nose10.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Oh! I've been looking at what I now realise is macro photography and blithely assuming that it was twice this size. You'll have to go back and mentally add "very very" to any positive comments I've made.

Cheers Bertie. I'm generally crestfallen when someone makes an observation that it's smaller than expected, but not this time.

Oh, and thanks for going a bit bonkers with the 'like' button. 👍

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

@Lummox

Hi, I'm busy building the Italeri Maiale. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to view the pictures you have posted on this thread. I would eager to see how you build and more importantly how you painted it. 

Are there any other blogs you have posted these too for me to view them?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Jules Dallamore said:

Hi, I'm busy building the Italeri Maiale. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to view the pictures you have posted on this thread. I would eager to see how you build and more importantly how you painted it. 

Hi Jules.

The build is on hold while I've been focusing on the truck that will be transporting the Maiale. There has been little progress I'm afraid, and certainly there has been no paint. I really need to stop faffing around and get on with things.:whip:

Earlier posts in the blog use VillagePhotos for picture hosting, but they didn't renew their SSL certificate when it expired, which no doubt is the cause of the missing pictures.

I suspect you'll be at the painting stage way before me, so perhaps I can gain some inspiration and motivation from your build :wink:

Cheers,

Paul.

I'd forgotten how exceptionally good your pig was, glad it came up again in comments.. It overhangs the back of the truck a bit though, don't forget to hang a traditional pair of grubby Y-fronts off the end as a "warning" flag 😁

• Haha 1