A pig on a truck

Lummox

2 hours ago, Lummox said:

Cheers Icy. Your friend Dominique is very talented, those models look fantastic! It's tricky to judge the scale, but I'd guess around 1/16th?

Don't know the scale.

Yes, a master of brass, he worked at the arsenal of Lorient as a boilermaker, he is now retired, he knows well the submarines, his work is extraordinary.  

Screenshot-2021-11-07-14-37-47-060.jpg

Screenshot-2021-11-07-14-38-13-097.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, Pig of the Week said:

I know just what you mean about the fake planes, shame they don't do a bit of a resto job on the sub, a decent plumber could get it looking a lot better with a bit of copper pipe and a few fittings!

Yeah, it is a shame Mr P, but I suppose it's fine for it's intended purpose as a memorial, not so much for use as a reference though.

Long overdue an update, and the good news is that the replacement pipework is finally compete. The rat's nest of plumbing up front is finished (apologies for the rubbish pictures - the shiny bling isn't the easiest to photograph):

e7b03e8c-e487-4128-b98b-f0032b9eab74.jpg

2057c1de-fb6f-49cd-84e7-842d1072e519.jpg

For reference this is what we're trying to achieve. In retrospect I should probably have used smaller gauge brass rod (0.8mm was used) as the pipework is just a little chunky, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it: :smile:

67af0e54-798d-466f-9ae6-7211077149a3.jpg

The final piece in the jigsaw was the pipe run that goes the length of the starboard side, and that was finally that:

e25cb6b7-fc1c-45bb-b3e5-86407b0c2488.jpg

581f460c-fa65-40e7-8f92-22b96796c530.jpg

53fdc424-ec48-45ee-bc5e-8d5de0371c38.jpg

I must admit that I'm glad it's over. It seemed to be a good idea at the time, but proved to be a time consuming and frustrating chore. It would be nice to have full comparison before/after pictures to prove it was all worthwhile, but this is the best I have:

b17efc6e-1d0e-4e55-af6e-421f1a620244.jpg

I'm not sure what I'll be tackling next, but you can be sure it won't involve bending brass rods. :wink:

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 16

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 8:13 AM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Judging from the above pics, I can assure you it was worthwhile and I'm not sure simple brass rod would've given the same effect.

Thanks David. I must admit I started to doubt my sanity half way through the plumbing work, so reassuring to hear that it was all worthwhile. :smile:

On 12/31/2021 at 9:19 AM, Pig of the Week said:

That's absolutely stunning mate, very impressive

Cheers Mr P, and thanks for your continued support.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, robgizlu said:

I agree that pipework - just transforms it :coolio:

Hugely impressive

Very kind of you to say Rob - I really do appreciate the comment. 👍

On 1/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Bobs_Buckles said:

Impressive tubing work 

Cheers Bob. It's a coincidence you popping up as I've been looking at your site wondering if your buckles might come into play in this build. More of which later...

Firstly apologies as I've been a tad lax in keeping this up to date recently, so this will be a bumper post which may well be a bit rambling.

Following completion of the pipework the tail section seemed to be the next logical step. As can be seem from the instructions, it looked to be one of those jobs where you could do with an extra pair of hands:

b4fa46a7-62ce-4b0e-bfb2-57f787a981f8.jpg

Unfortunately the fins exhibited some pretty nasty mould slip type issues, which could be an isolated problem with my kit, though I doubt it as the problems appears to be evident in the instruction (perhaps to a lesser extent). Whatever, I couldn't see how the fins could be easily tidied up, so from the start we'd have to deviate from the instructions somewhat:

f1098a60-1692-43c9-8860-0a58599cfcc5.jpg

The first job was to separate the problematic fins, along with the rudder and driving plane, leaving the main cruciform supports. Holes were filled, a panel line scribed, and the propeller sandwiched between the cruciform and the main body of the Pig:

5a0f2ba4-b933-4923-acb8-c3730bce6523.jpg

I'm digressing massively, but that last shot reminds me of this bonkers contraption. Yes, I probably need to increase my medication 🤪:

9bc5d6f7-a56b-4841-ad45-2014843ee072.jpg

Next we needed to manufacture some replacements for the fins. A laminate of plastic sheets was shaped using one of the kit fins as a template. Once split we end up with four nearly identical fins:

260650d1-03c9-4e13-959c-bc6946bbacef.jpg

Using the replacement fins with some square section stock we can rebuild the fin and propeller guard arrangement:

da1a3891-ffb9-44e1-ad86-60bbab27b9d3.jpg

We're aiming for something like this, but I must admit to not being really sold on the etch propeller guard that comes with the kit (which looks clunky to me and surely could have been a bit finer?) I'm not too impressed with the kit etch in general, it being quite thick and unwieldy (even after annealing). I reckon manufacturing a replacement for the guard will be challenging, so I may well end up using the etch version. Something to mull over I think:

05f0dc05-976e-4dff-9a18-df156d8d2732.jpg

As an aside I've been pondering is what to do about these control surface cable connector things (which aren't represented too well in the kit). I suspect that delving into @Bobs_Buckles box of tricks may come up trumps here :wink::

3f04de2e-f05f-4c35-b296-caa2917a574a.jpg

I've also been thinking about how the Pig would be supported, with examples showing a wheeled dolly (for a narrow gauge railway?) catching my eye:

6d3cc4f6-0729-45ef-b193-360cb36c68dd.jpg

The kit comes with a rudimentary support, parts of which were used to produce something similar to the dolly but without the wheels:

0b401363-5401-4f97-9fe8-f31ee462bbe3.jpg

The Pig sits nicely on the support, which seems to look purposeful and quite convincing (to my eyes anyway):

e4a1c473-4bf8-48f5-b1fc-28fa6e618841.jpg

Finally a quick shot of the truck mentioned in the thread title. The height of the support allows the Pig's tail surfaces to just clear the tailgate (this was by design by the way and not just a happy coincidence :smile:😞

975ea0d6-d21f-4710-8334-e8bbd402a611.jpg

I think that just about sums up the current state of play. Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 8

Hi Paul,

I'm happy to send you a few sample eyelets with various 'eye' sizes and a few cuts of 0.5mm ~ 0.3 int dia brass tube. That way you get to answer the question without shelling out for something that may not fit the bill. 

All I ask is you pay for the postage.

If this is something that interests you, just DM me on here with your address and I'll do the rest. 

Cheers,

Bob 👍

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lummox said:

+++

Finally a quick shot of the truck mentioned in the thread title. The height of the support allows the Pig's tail surfaces to just clear the tailgate (this was by design by the way and not just a happy coincidence :smile:😞

975ea0d6-d21f-4710-8334-e8bbd402a611.jpg

I think that just about sums up the current state of play. Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

Grrreat! Thanks for showing! But can you still open and close the tailgate with the pig in that position?

Edited by Jochen Barett
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:54 PM, Pig of the Week said:

Very nicely done as usual 👍

I think you're going to find you can't resist making that cage thing round the prop from scratch ! ( you know you want to :) )

Ha, thanks Mr P, but scratching that propeller guard may be a bridge too far - but never say never. :wink:

On 1/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, Bobs_Buckles said:

I'm happy to send you a few sample eyelets with various 'eye' sizes and a few cuts of 0.5mm ~ 0.3 int dia brass tube.

DM sent Bob, and thanks again for the kind offer. 👍

On 1/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, Lazy Modeller said:

Nice work of a strange machine...well...lots of work!:clap:

Cheers

Thanks LayZee, it is a bit of an odd beast isn't it, but very effective nonetheless.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, Jochen Barett said:

Grrreat! Thanks for showing! But can you still open and close the tailgate with the pig in that position?

Cheers Jochen, and it's a good question about the tailgate, this being something I hadn't considered. Making use of my comprehensive photo manipulation skills gained over many years (e.g. 5 minutes in Paint :smile:) I think that the tailgate will clear the Pig's fin, but only just...

f48dbcf1-6494-42e5-af49-f04db3857750.jpg

The plan is to have the Pig loaded something like below, with the warhead alongside, and probably oil drums filling the gap at the front. I must admit to having doubts about this arrangement now, wondering if it may be better to drop the tailgate and move the Pig forward more onto the bed. The tailgate is glued in place though, so things could get messy. Hmmmm...🤔

fbd87bdf-78a4-4110-b6ac-f2556e6909a1.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 5

If it were Italians operating the truck you might even consider to load the Pig diagonally (it would be rather Unteutonic, so rather impossible on a German operated truck even in the very last days).

It looks great hanging over the tailgate anyway. Oil drums, a few wooden boxes painted field grey, jerrycans, some kind of rope, and a tarpaulin ... "anything goes"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Crikey, it's been well over a month since I last posted. Where on earth does the time go? I haven't been totally idle, one annoyance being having to find an alternative image host as Village.Photos seems to be kaput. I'm back in the groove now though so on with the update...

Firstly a hat tip to @Bobs_Buckles for kindly sending some samples of his wares - and very nice they are too.

I've seen that several people here use Bob's eyelets for such things as attachment points for funnel bracing wires (if that's the correct term?). I've not come across them before now, but I can see them being useful in my usual AFV realm (supports for cable runs springs to mind). Bob included samples for his different eyelets along with different lengths of brass tubing for use in turnbuckles. We'll see some of these in use later on, but meantime, thanks a bundle Bob, you're a gent! 👍

AVvXsEi7GxOdQLroTTowkl6J3oCGbihI7XqduTBo

AVvXsEjI1ANvgvWBgppvuMrvDGf6f9E7KymQsSsh

Now for progress on the Pig. Before I could start work on the diving plane and rudder I had to sort out the propeller guard ring (which has to go on early or it won't fit over the control surfaces). The etch ring was separated from the crude cage elements and soldered to form a circle (well nearly a circle :wink:). The ring is a nice snug fit over the scratched fins, but hasn't been permanently attached to allow for some wiggle room as I'm not 100% sure where it should sit just yet:

AVvXsEhz-HOPDbImvOdgkxkY3KUzu4fGSwfeb-58

The diving plane was next, taking particular attention to the attachment 'horns' for the control wires. Italeri provide simple etch posts, which are attached to the diving plane: 

AVvXsEhYAFseez9lp0Trv6RPaLUimYpkQZ5Liq2e

In reality though the 'horns' are more complex, being a post with a pivoted connector for the control wire. A 'horn' sticks up from the diving plane on the port side, and down on the starboard. If the driver(?) wants to dive, the control wire on the starboard side 'horn' will be yanked, so pulling the diving plane down. To rise/surface, the wire on the port side will be yanked so pulling the diving plane up:

AVvXsEgmwwosN0hP323ZAFJ4rOVS7GQG-9KpB46j

AVvXsEiI0314IGYh4ZAg9YQFVpDAtkmFEPSMOI8N

Firstly, we needed to do some work on the diving plane. The kit splits the plane into two halves which need to be bridged in the middle to achieve the correct width. Brass collars for the control 'horn' poles were added, the hinge line was drilled, and the plane thinned so it wasn't so slab like:

AVvXsEjOqFSZBsvQ2EcRq8SE7lDXllpryIcMyQX4

The diving plane could then be attached including some wire to represent the hinge. A small deflection was introduced to the plane as is evident in Pig photos:

AVvXsEiDH2mvmAgUtn6M08GJqr2m0mqOgXYhtWlO

Next, representations of the control 'horns' were knocked up, which is where Bob's Buckles enter the fray (along with various bit of brass rod/tube). This is definitely approaching the limits of my soldering ability, and the limit of my Optivisor (those are mm divisions on a steel rule to the bottom). I really don't know how you maritime guys do what you do with the etch at such a small scale: :penguin:

AVvXsEguU7-aKD8LgJbKUldXc_EXVI5dOrNzz3E6

'Why the different angles?', you may ask. Well this is to cater for the deflection on the diving plane, the pivoted connectors attempting to keep the control wires parallel to the Pig centreline as the plane moves up and down. Slipping the control 'horns' into the collars on the diving plane we end up with this:

AVvXsEjNIytwbF14JqhroivtYly6yP89MB2HXELW

I must admit looking at the photographs I'm not too sure about them. To me they look a bit bulky compared to the real thing, though it may be the high magnification emphasising things. Here's a shot to give more context with the rest of the Pig:

AVvXsEiASoGF2HqmQH10AL-veTqRTXkCtM9sNRQ1

I'll get my thinking hat on and see if I can do slimline versions for the 'horns' on the rudder.

For now, cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Looking real good Paul, love the very detailed post with pictures of the real thing. I'm thinking at some point, when the paint goes on, it'll be hard to tell which is which though.

And nice shout out to Bob, it's been a pleasure ordering from him and I heartedly recommend his products too!

David

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Looking real good Paul, love the very detailed post with pictures of the real thing. I'm thinking at some point, when the paint goes on, it'll be hard to tell which is which though.

Cheers David. I never really know how detailed to make the posts so it's good to hear your comments. Paint is a long way off though given the rate I work at! :smile:

On 3/10/2022 at 10:13 AM, Bobs_Buckles said:

Always a pleasure serving the community.

Those control horns look great! Well done 😃

Thanks for the kind comments Bob, but 'serving the community' makes you sound like a politician and we can't have that now can we :wink:

Following on from the diving planes, the rudder received some similar attention, it being thinned to be less slab like, the hinge replaced with wire, and positioned at a jaunty deflection for a bit of interest:

rudder1.jpg

The rudder also has control horns, these being placed on 'wings' attached to the top of the rudder as per these examples:

rudder2.jpg

Note that the control wires from the rudder horns cross over each other to pass up the tubes at the opposite side of the Pig. The instructions don't mention the wires crossing, but I think it makes sense which I'll attempt to explain. The control wires for both the rudder and the diving plane pass up tubes that run up the length of the Pig up to the 'driving' position where there is a 'joy stick' type wheel. Pulling the wheel back will cause the Pig to rise, pushing forward to dive, turn left steer to port, turn right steer to starboard.  I'm assuming that when turning the wheel to the left the control wire on the starboard side is pulled. This pulling motion on the starboard side needs to be flipped over to the control horn on the port side of the rudder so that the Pig steers to port, hence the crossing of the wires. It's a simple control mechanism, the operation of which may well be obvious to most, but it wasn't immediately obvious to me: 🤪

rudder3.jpg

So, back to the rudder control horns. The kit provides some PE which is not to bad, but like most etch, suffers from being too 2D. Replacement control horns were therefore fabricated in a similar way to those for the diving planes (with Bob's turnbuckles coming to the fore again), these horns being attached to the etch 'wings' that sit over the rudder:

rudder4.jpg

And this is what we end up with. Yeah, the horns are a tad over-scale, but I think they will do. I did have a go at making finer versions, but failed miserably (beyond my soldering skills unfortunately). The control horns are all detachable so they'll be squirreled away somewhere safe away from clumsy fingers. The actual rigging of the control wires will happen much, much later:

rudder5.jpg

rudder6.jpg

For a change of pace I thought I'd start to tackle the central superstructure of the Pig which is apparently the 'fast dive tank with it's air reserved located at the base' (no, me neither :smile:). The kit representation has suffered some damage on the sprue, but most of this detail will be replaced anyway:

rudder7.jpg

The first job was to open up the solid recesses at the bottom of the structure. Once the recesses were opened it became obvious how think the plastic is in this area, so much scraping/sanding/thinning fun was had to give a more scale appearance:

rudder8.jpg

We needed to prevent a 'see through' look when viewing through the freshly opened recesses, so strips of sprue were added to represent bottom of the (presumed) air cylinders. I also added some supports for other structures to be added later (the 'chimney' thing on the roof, and the big lever on the side) :

rudder9.jpg

Opening up the recesses now mean that the tubing for the control wires becomes visible when the superstructure is placed on the Pig body:

rudder10.jpg

And at lower viewing angles, the 'air cylinders' are visible rather than just an empty void:

rudder11.jpg

That just about covers the current state of play. Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

fantastic project, but up until recently non of the photos work

Cheers Kevin, kind of you to say..

The problem with earlier pictures is annoying but just one of those things. I've recently had to switch image hosting site as Village.Photos who I used previously have not renewed their security certificate (which can cause photos not to show depending on your browser settings).

I could re-upload the photos to the new image host and edit the links in all previous posts. But life's just too short...:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lummox said:

Cheers Kevin, kind of you to say..

The problem with earlier pictures is annoying but just one of those things. I've recently had to switch image hosting site as Village.Photos who I used previously have not renewed their security certificate (which can cause photos not to show depending on your browser settings).

I could re-upload the photos to the new image host and edit the links in all previous posts. But life's just too short...:smile:

agreed, or just do a one off post with some of the early photos, but as you rightly say life is to short, just a subject that interested me 

• 1 month later...

Time flies, and it's high time we had an update, so here goes...

We'll be concentrating on the 'fast dive tank' housing mentioned previously, adding details that were missing, inaccurate, or lost during clean up. The housing is festooned with various gizmos and appendages whose functions are a mystery (to me anyway). The fixtures and fittings vary from Pig to Pig (I'll attempt to illustrate this as we go), there being no apparent 'standard' applied across all machines. The variations allow a certain amount of leeway to those who wish to scratch replacements, which is great as no one can say that what you've knocked up is wrong :wink:

We'll start with the housing roof, which has a 'chimney' and what appears to be a stopcock valve thing:

chim1.jpg

We see wide variations on these, e.g. clockwise from the left; a tall stopcock, a stopcock located in front of the 'chimney', a wide 'chimney', and a 'chimney' with an extension of some kind:

chim2.jpg

The kit 'chimney' is a split affair that would be challenging to clean up, the stopcock being completely absent:

chim3.jpg

The 'chimney' was replaced by brass tube wrapped in lead wire to give a corrugated effect, and a stopcock was scratched using odd and sods:

chim4.jpg

Moving to the front of the housing, we see an odd arrangement of discs, tubes, and valves, that wrap around to the starboard face:

chim5.jpg

Strangely in other Pig examples the features are totally missing!

chim6.jpg

The kit make a game attempt at replicating the features, but it's all a bit simplified and flat:

chim7.jpg

Using slices of a shell cartridge from the spares box, some brass tube, wires and other stuff, we eventually get to this:

chim8.jpg

Finally, on the port side we see a big, lovely 'steam punk' lever (note the lever is 'down' in this example):

chim9.jpg

Again there are variations (note the levers in all these examples are 'up'): 🤔

chim10.jpg

The kit opts for the lever (broken on the sprue) in a central (neutral?) position:

chim11.jpg

I followed the herd and went with the 'up' position when scratching a replacement. It's turned out a tad big and probably over-scale, but it will do:

chim12.jpg

To round off this update, here's a few shots with the 'fast' dive tank' housing in situ to give some context of what it looks like on the Pig:

chim13.jpg

chim14.jpg

chim15.jpg

I think that brings things just about up to date. Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That really is some beautiful construction work Paul

1 hour ago, Lummox said:

It's turned out a tad big and probably over-scale, but it will do

It's a feature, features are allowed to be a tad overscale, the lever looks blinking awesome ;)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It was May when I last posted. May! Blimey, tempus fugit and all that - I guess an update is well overdue, so let's make it a nice, big, rambling one. :wink:

On 5/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, Cerberus said:

That really is some beautiful construction work Paul

Firstly, a very belated 'thank you' for the comment Matt - it is truly appreciated. 👍

So, what's been going in the eons since the last post? Warhead, that's what. If a Pig managed to navigate the harbour defences and sneak up to it's target undetected, the warhead would be detached and slung under the keel of the unsuspecting victim. Fuses would be set, and the Pig would high-tail it out of Dodge before things went all boomy.

The warhead provided in the kit is quite simple, but I plan to have it separated from the main body of the Pig, so would need to do something about that gaping hole in the rear:

warhead1.jpg

And therein lay the problem, I didn't (and still don't) have a clue what the rear of a detached warhead would look like!

Initially I planned to have some simple concave bulkhead (something to protect the explosives, fuses, etc. from sea water). The video posted at the start of this thread offers some 'can't quite see what may be there' tantalising glimpses, but unfortunately proves to be 'close, but no cigar'. Watching the video did set the cogs whirling though, which can be illustrated by this series of images that clearly shows the sections of the double warhead version being attached by means of 'jubilee clip' type clamps that are tightened to secure the warheads:

warhead2.jpg

OK, that seems logical enough, but when leafing through the handy information booklet that comes with the kit, I noticed it states that the 'propeller' lever thing at the nose was used to unscrew the warhead. Hmmm, that's not what we see in the video: 🤔

warhead3.jpg

So, what's going on? Well, after some digging, I came up with a simple explanation. The single warhead versions had the 'propeller' lever to detach the warhead, but the dual warhead versions had the 'jubilee clip' clamps. Certainly all the single warhead examples I could find that had the 'propeller' on the warhead nose, whereas as can be seen in these dual warhead examples, the 'propeller' doesn't seem to be visible:

warhead4.jpg

Eventually I came across a drawing (unfortunately I don't know the source) which seemed to support this theory. Although the drawing is small, and not very clear, it suggests that there was a long 'bolt' that ran through the centre of the single warhead for attaching to the main body of the Pig. I've enlarged the warhead section, and translated the text as best I can:

warhead5.jpg

This gave me something to go on - we'll have a single warhead with a nice big bolt running through it!

Starting with the 'propeller' lever on the nose, the kit provides some etch which is bent to represent the lever. As an aside the instructions would have you add the lever to both the single and dual warheads. I reckon it should be omitted for the dual warhead (and the attachment 'nub' filed off the nose for good measure):

warhead6.jpg

This seemed a bit too fragile for me, so the lever was soldered onto some brass rod, and brass tubing embedded into the nose to accept the rod:

warhead7.jpg

Moving onto the 'bow eye' that was used to suspend the warhead under the keel of the target. As ever with these machines, there was variations from Pig to Pig. The example on the right also exhibits an additional pair of shallow 'fuse' recesses at 2 and 10 o'clock positions:

warhead8.jpg

The 'bow eye' provided in the kit is a tad uninspiring, so it was jazzed up a bit, and the additional fuse recesses were added to jazz things up a bit more: :wink:

warhead9.jpg

Round at the back we get into the land of fantasy. The warhead had some kind of collar where it was attached, but what the inner face looked like is anyone's guess:

warhead10.jpg

The gaping hole was tidied and thinned somewhat, and then it was time to get imaginative. We started with a pawn from a cheap travel chess set, and a glasses repair kit (that I think came from a xmas cracker many moons ago):

warhead11.jpg

The pawn was decapitated, and it's base combined with odds and ends from the spares box, The screw then represented the end of the bolt that runs through the warhead. I can imagine the following conversation in Lummox Towers in the future: 'It's unfortunate the arm has fallen off your glasses my dear, but I'm sorry, I've got no idea where the screw has gone from the repair kit'. :wink:

warhead12.jpg

Putting it all together we end up with this. No doubt it is wildly inaccurate, but it serves to fill the hole:

warhead13.jpg

warhead14.jpg

And that brings things up to date. Cheers, and thanks for looking,

Paul.

• Like 4