Royal Australian Navy's Fairey Gannet AS Mk 1/4

Some years ago I built a model of the Royal Australian Navy's Fairey Gannet anti-submarine warfare plane. Gannet’s maiden flight took place in 1949 and the last one went out of service by 1978. In total 348 versions of Gannets were built during those years. 

The British aircraft industry have always been very talented in building sleek and elegant aircraft like the Spitfire. On the other hand they have also introduced some of the most odd looking flying objects. The Fairey Gannet anti-submarine warfare plane is definitely one of them. With the 2950 hp engine even this lump of metal could stay airborne 🙂

Despite its plump looks the plane was very versatile. It could carry bombs, torpedoes, depth charges, missiles and sonar. The plane's crew consisted of three, a pilot, an aerial observer and an electronics operator. The power plant of the Gannet was the Double Mamba turbine engine that drew two counter rotating propellers. The benefit of that was for instance the elimination of torque when taking off from the aircraft carrier. Once airborne the other propeller could be switched off to diminish fuel consumption. In addition to the British Royal Navy the plane was operated by the West German Bundesmarine, the Indonesian Navy and the Royal Australian Navy who ordered a total of 36 Fairey Gannets.

I built my model from quite a challenging Classic Airframes' 1/48 scale kit. In addition to the usual CA fit issues attaching the canopies and wings caused a lot of sweating, fixing and sanding. The model needed exceptionally lot of ballast in the nose to prevent it from being a tail sitter. I added many details to the model that I found in different sources on the net. To paint the model in RAN’s colours I used Xtracolor enamels but unfortunately I do not anymore remember the exact paint codes. For sealing the decals I used Johnson’s Pledge and Humbrol’s enamel matt cote.

1.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Maginot said:

That looks very sharp indeed. Good result.

When you write 'Johnson’s Pledge', what exactly is the product you used? Can you remember? Cheers.

Thanks Maginot,

Johnson's Pledge is a floor wax that you spray to a model in order to achieve a shiny gloss to the surface. In Finland it's not anymore available, so nowadays I use other gloss varnishes instead

17 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Absolutely gorgeous.  Some day I have to give my CA kit a go.  Hope it turns out 10% as nice as yours.  

Thank you very much!

Einar

Great job! I didn't realise the wing roundels were oriented that way, learn something new everyday! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Great job! I didn't realise the wing roundels were oriented that way, learn something new everyday! 

Thank you!

Einar

A very nice job, Sir! They're definitely not one of the best looking aircraft but I have one in the stash with an Airwaves wingfold set, just to make the build more challenging! 😉 Fortunately, there are a few in museums here that I can refer directly to when I get a start.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I’m guessing you don’t generally  see too many kangaroos in Helsinki which makes this even better!  🦘 

Nice work mate! 🇦🇺

Thanks mate!

You're quite right, no sightings of kangaroos here up above..but plenty of polar bears and an occasianal reindeer in December🤣🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darwinism said:

I remember seeing Gannets at an RNAS airshow when I was a child - even at that age I was surprised how something that big and ugly could fly. You’ve captured the look perfectly- terrific work Einar!

Thanks mate!

Einar

7 hours ago, Bell209 said:

A very nice job, Sir! They're definitely not one of the best looking aircraft but I have one in the stash with an Airwaves wingfold set, just to make the build more challenging! 😉 Fortunately, there are a few in museums here that I can refer directly to when I get a start.

Thanks mate..and good luck with your Gannet👍

Cheers

Einar

7 hours ago, Baldy said:

That looks excellent - lovely finish and the weathering looks right. 

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm

Cheers

Einar

9 hours ago, dov said:

Wonderful!

Did you ever saw the real aircraft? This was to me exciting. You may compare it from size with an Avanger.

Happy modelling 

Thanks Dov,

It would be very nice to see the real one!

Cheers

Einar

27 minutes ago, zigster said:

Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

It was quite a while, since I had a close look at that beast, but I think it's slightly larger than Avenger.

Zig

Thanks Zig!

Einar