Iranian Air Force F-4E

Brad

It was a choice between this and  VF-51 MiG Killer, but the limited edition deserves to be built. As you can see I've already been testing paints to see what I had that was close enough as we have restictions on movement still in Melbourne so the hobby shops are closed. Anyways I think I have paints that are about right, not sure what I will do with loads yet, you can really bomb them up or later in the Iran-Iraq war they became rather deadly tank killers due to the Iranians adapting them to carry Mavericks.

cES0JFi.jpg

• Like 10

I made a small start tonight. Detail looks to be ok, no seatbelt but I think I can live with it. Lots of decals for details on the interior which is fine. Fit seems to be pretty good, it is Hasegawa afterall.

qTTaGGq.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I ran into some trouble with this build that caused me to put it aside. I found the fit of the forward fuselage tricky and the Hasegawa instructions lacking. Some parts simply appear on the instructions without a guide, just one step they aren't there, next they are. Clearly they have not proof read them good enough, but I think I've figured it out now. The cockpit seems to fit a bit odd too, it looks out of position but it wouldn't fit any other way. 

Last couple of days I picked it up and just started gluing stuff on. I also found my weapons set so I'll equip her with 3 drop tanks and 4 Mavericks, two on each inner pylon. If I just keep plugging away I should it finished, or at least close to it. 

khtki1M.jpg?1

• Like 6

Glad you've picked it up again. Your problems seem pretty typical of Hasegawa's Phantoms to me, very tricky around the front/back fuselage join and with the intakes adding to the problems. I've  got exactly the same with my build, and filler in exactly the same places, but (having done one before) it will look good with paint!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still going slowly. I thought I had run out of Gunze 311 but found an unopened bottle in the paint stash, nice.  I found the drop tank fit rather poor with the scribed detail not really matching up well. An attack with sandpaper and super glue solved the problem good enough. I also attached the windscreen and painted the interior of the canopies black. I am leaving off the tail as it makes painting the metallic sections much easier. 

I'm not sure if this will make the deadline as I've taken up coaching a junior team at my cricket club, so between that, training and playing I'm out 4 evenings a week plus game day Saturday. I'll see how I go.

e670EAT.jpg?1

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Hmm, models or real life? So far I've only chosen models so you'll have to tell me what real life is like. Or.... Maybe there is a sly way you can turn the team into a modelling club?

Either way, nice progress!

I did get a couple of my friends kids into aircraft, they were also being coached by me and another who use to think building models was silly now has a son who builds model cars!. No kids of my own so I'm just corrupting my friends kids haha.

• Haha 2

Managed to mask up with bluetak sausages and some Tamiya tape.

GiaLWpd.jpg

H44 applied, along with some black green to the drop tanks. Using the box top as a bit of a reference you can see the drop tanks are a darker colour than the topside camo, something the instructions doesn't really mention. I mean they could indeed be correct but I like a little difference. Gunze H44 is close to the box top, it's kinda not quite sand ,not quite flesh colour, not really yellow either plus I've seen a bit of variation in tones with other pictures so close enough.

Iow125m.jpg?1

• Like 5

More masking and painting, I also painted the stabilisers upside down, so I have to repaint them.

WPuFCWD.jpg

Not too bad, just going back for some touch ups and masking the tail metallic surfaces and the nose.

7iDJie3.jpg

• Like 5

Things are taking shape with more parts glued on, a gloss and now onto the decals. Lots of little stencils and things to put on it. Most of them now applied to the wings, just the fuselage to go.

Ksm5HuU.jpg

Sfl3rUP.jpg?1

• Like 5