British Airways ‘Negus’ Boeing 757-236 in 1/144

Here is my finished Boeing 757-236 in 1/144 scale from Zvezda’s new B757 kit in the classic ‘Negus’ livery of British Airways registration G-BIKC “Edinburgh Castle”.

This kit, quite literally, goes together seamlessly with very little sanding and filling required. It’s great that is has both engine options as well as having either the newer blended winglets or the classic wing tips. I’ve never built the Minicraft or EE kits but I absolutely can’t recommend this kit enough! The beautiful decals are from Ray at @26Decalsand the B757 detail sheet is from @nazca-decals. The registration I went for, G-BIKC, was fitted with the older style RB211 engines. But I love Edinburgh so I opted to go for an engine upgrade with my build and use the newer RB211 engines. 

Paints used were Halfords appliance white for the upper fuselage, Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue for the lower fuselage and Halfords Racking Grey for the wings, nacelles and stabilisers. Metals are a mix of Revells aqua range. The decals are excellent, though I did mess up the port side tail decal as they were designed for the Minicraft B757, but Ray kindly provided me with a replacement screen printed one.

I am already looking forward to building my next B757 which will be either Thomas Cook or Continental. As always, all comments and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking!

Regards,

Alistair 

51398533877_712f90dd86_b.jpg 51400297105_c410f454ab_b.jpg 51399545473_2528971776_b.jpg 51399545208_6a8bfaa893_b.jpg 51400021999_ddeb76d3e7_b.jpg 51400296575_08bfe77c8b_b.jpg 51400022644_4b6733a4e4_b.jpg 51400022394_48c5e449fb_b.jpg 51400296615_f91f33fe50_b.jpg 51398534192_ef5baf99f0_b.jpg 51400296500_629c986c8b_b.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 3

As I said over on Facebook, that's a beauty and it's good to know the kit is a straightforward build. My two are safely tucked up in the stash just now until I finish some of my current projects but I'm looking forward to staring one in the not too distant future. 

Dave G

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

As I said over on Facebook, that's a beauty and it's good to know the kit is a straightforward build. My two are safely tucked up in the stash just now until I finish some of my current projects but I'm looking forward to staring one in the not too distant future. 

Dave G

Thank you again Dave! I have one on order of they ever come back into stock! I have the decals for them, just no kit 🤦🏼‍♂️! What livery do you think you’ll go for with your B757? 

Alistair 

6 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

I'm not much of a narrowbody fan but that is a smashing 757. Fantastic weathering. 

:worthy: Kudos to you.

Thank you very much 😃

4 hours ago, Tea Taster said:

Beautiful build Scotsman07, I particularly like the grubby stain around door 2L from the jetty.

Regarding the engines - everyone's entitled to a bit of artistic licence, wish I had your modelling skills 👍

Thank you so much! I’m glad you like that, she’s definitely a well worked narrow body! Yeah that’s very true, I wanted the Edinburgh castle markings so that’s what I did, and just gave it a little engine upgrade 🤷🏼‍♂️😂! Thank you again for your kind comments 😃!

Alistair

4 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looks super, never realised the 757 wore Negus 

I know right! It definitely suits it that’s for sure!

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Superb build in a classic lovery.

Top marks.

Great to know that the Zvezda kit is of top quality.

Thank you very much! It’s a lovely kit to build!

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

That is beautifully finished.

Thank you 😃

6 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Very handsome build.👍

Thank you very much 😃!

:goodjob:

Beautiful build.

Ahh loved the BA 757.  Many happy memories of taking a Shuttle flight each week (MAN to LHR) in the 90's - usually the last flight of the day on a Friday or occasionally an early flight the other way. Of course they were in the Landor scheme in those days.    

Thanks, yeah they were superb planes.

Rich

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you again Dave! I have one on order of they ever come back into stock! I have the decals for them, just no kit 🤦🏼‍♂️! What livery do you think you’ll go for with your B757? 

Alistair 

I'll probably indulge my Germanophilia. At the moment the most likely livery is LTU although if one of the decal makers comes up with Condor Rizzi Bird it will go straight to the head of the queue!

• Like 1

That is absolutely beautiful, you've absolutely nailed that. I've got 2 of theses in work and the same markings (going for G-CPET). Its a beautiful kit and having started a Minicraft kit, years ago this is streaks ahead of it. The Minicraft kit is confined to the scrapper now. 

I was lucky enough to maintain and fly on the BA 757's for a good few years so I've long awaited a decent kit and seeing your build proves Zvezda have produced a great starting point. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

Beautiful work.

Eng 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a lovely job, cracking build of one of my favourite airliers in one of my favorite colour schemes! 

I didn't realise the kit was actually out - I'm not supposed to be buying any more, but your lovely model is seriously testing my willpower!

On 24/08/2021 at 19:50, PhantomBigStu said:

never realised the 757 wore Negus 

From what I've found online, it was only G-CPET that had it as a 'retrojet' retirement livery - and the kit's RB211's are correct for that one? Others who know more might well correct me on that!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Really like that: nice aeroplane in a classic livery. Great finish too. I really like the windows, though I always get yelled at if my blind isn't fully up for take-off and landing. Maybe this is on one if those long drives at Schiphol?

Justin

• Thanks 1

Great model. G-BIKC was the first 757 I ever flew on, so unsurprisingly will be coming to my workbench soon. In fact the plan is to do four of the six livery versions she wore during her 33 year flying career, including the DHL yellow and red freighter colours she ended her days in. Glad to hear the build was straightforward. I have one 757 in my collection built from the Minicraft kit and correcting the defects was a very time consuming business.

Edited by VictorMike
error

Hi Alistair...

She is absolutely beautiful. This one gets a double WOW WOW! I love your attention to a specific aircraft, and your attention to the details of THAT specific airplane. You've done a cracking job here, for sure! The Nazca additions just make the model...and she's just dirty enough to pass for real! Presentation is outstanding as well. Thank you for sharing. I am still waiting for my 757s to arrive...hopefully soon. Looking forward to building at least one. My set of Nazca details arrived yesterday, and they are quite nice. Yours is definitely and most assuredly among the best builds of the new Zvezda 757 rendition I have seen. Nice work indeed! :worthy:

Paul

Hi,

Hi Alistair. Absolutely stunning job. Well done. Nice to see how the Zvezda kit works out. Wonderful aircraft in BA's best scheme. I have the F-Dcal sheet for G-CPET, which will be my choice for one of the zvezda kits already in my own stash.

Someone queried whether G-CPET was the only BA B757 in the Negus livery.  There were others, although I have only managed to find one photo so far. On page 47 of Keith Gaskels excellent book on British Airways there is a splendid photo of G-BIKB in the Negus delivery, the first BA B757 delivered. BA was apparently one of two launch customers for the B757, the other being Eastern Airlines. G-BIKA to G-BIKI were all delivered in 1983 and the Landor livery was not introduced until 1984, so I suspect they were all delivered in the Negus scheme. Brian's book says that the first Landor scheme test aircraft, a B737 was delivered in September 1984, so G-BIKJ to G-BIKM, which were delivered upto March 1984 were almost certainly also delivered in the Negus scheme.

As always, full of useless info!

Regards,

David

Edited by HKGBravo1
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HKGBravo1 said:

I asked the question and that's not at all useless! Only thing is I 'think' they would have had the earlier RB211's not the ones in the kit?

Having said that I still think Alistair has built a brilliant 757 and I'd never have noticed the engines had he not mentioned them! 

Keith

On 25/08/2021 at 01:37, RichG said:

:goodjob:

Beautiful build.

Ahh loved the BA 757.  Many happy memories of taking a Shuttle flight each week (MAN to LHR) in the 90's - usually the last flight of the day on a Friday or occasionally an early flight the other way. Of course they were in the Landor scheme in those days.    

Thanks, yeah they were superb planes.

Rich

Thank you, I was never lucky enough to fly on a BA B757 just the B767. I love the landor scheme and may be tempted to build one in that livery. 

Alistair

On 25/08/2021 at 10:17, eng said:

That is absolutely beautiful, you've absolutely nailed that. I've got 2 of theses in work and the same markings (going for G-CPET). Its a beautiful kit and having started a Minicraft kit, years ago this is streaks ahead of it. The Minicraft kit is confined to the scrapper now. 

I was lucky enough to maintain and fly on the BA 757's for a good few years so I've long awaited a decent kit and seeing your build proves Zvezda have produced a great starting point. Looking forward to seeing more of these.

Beautiful work.

Eng 

Thank you, I have never tried to build the Minicraft kit but I have heard a lot of people don’t like it. That’s really cool that you got to fly and maintain them, it’s a lovely aircraft. Definitely a great kit!

Alistair

On 29/08/2021 at 16:05, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Alistair...

She is absolutely beautiful. This one gets a double WOW WOW! I love your attention to a specific aircraft, and your attention to the details of THAT specific airplane. You've done a cracking job here, for sure! The Nazca additions just make the model...and she's just dirty enough to pass for real! Presentation is outstanding as well. Thank you for sharing. I am still waiting for my 757s to arrive...hopefully soon. Looking forward to building at least one. My set of Nazca details arrived yesterday, and they are quite nice. Yours is definitely and most assuredly among the best builds of the new Zvezda 757 rendition I have seen. Nice work indeed! :worthy:

Paul

Thank you Paul. I think weathering is a hard thing to get right, as at 1/144 scale it’s difficult to replicate it and sometimes I worry that I am overdoing it. The Nazca details are excellent and you’ll enjoy using them on your build. I have another 2 now that I will start in due course. 

Alistair

On 30/08/2021 at 17:13, HKGBravo1 said:

Hi,

Hi Alistair. Absolutely stunning job. Well done. Nice to see how the Zvezda kit works out. Wonderful aircraft in BA's best scheme. I have the F-Dcal sheet for G-CPET, which will be my choice for one of the zvezda kits already in my own stash.

Someone queried whether G-CPET was the only BA B757 in the Negus livery.  There were others, although I have only managed to find one photo so far. On page 47 of Keith Gaskels excellent book on British Airways there is a splendid photo of G-BIKB in the Negus delivery, the first BA B757 delivered. BA was apparently one of two launch customers for the B757, the other being Eastern Airlines. G-BIKA to G-BIKI were all delivered in 1983 and the Landor livery was not introduced until 1984, so I suspect they were all delivered in the Negus scheme. Brian's book says that the first Landor scheme test aircraft, a B737 was delivered in September 1984, so G-BIKJ to G-BIKM, which were delivered upto March 1984 were almost certainly also delivered in the Negus scheme.

Regards,

David

Thank you David! Thank you also for the detailed information about the liveries 😃, and I know that G-BIKC would have had the earlier RB211s but I just went for an ‘engine upgrade’ 🤷🏼‍♂️😂! Never full of useless information though 👌🏻.

Alistair

On 27/08/2021 at 08:35, keefr22 said:

That's a lovely job, cracking build of one of my favourite airliers in one of my favorite colour schemes! 

I didn't realise the kit was actually out - I'm not supposed to be buying any more, but your lovely model is seriously testing my willpower!

From what I've found online, it was only G-CPET that had it as a 'retrojet' retirement livery - and the kit's RB211's are correct for that one? Others who know more might well correct me on that!

Keith

Thank you Keith! That made me laugh about you not buying more, there is never enough 😂! I know this one (G-BIKC) should have had the earlier RB211s 😅, I have given it and engine ‘upgrade’ for some fun. 

Alistaur 

• Like 1