Oh No! More Vipers... 86048 NF-16D - VISTA (X-62)

In this topic I will share my drawings, decal artworks and the VISTA builds in 1:72 and 1:48 scales both completed and ongoing projects. As always I started the project with the 3 view drawings. The VISTA aircraft has mainly three different painting schemes.

The first painting scheme had several markings/labels depending on the program test phase (VISTA, MATV, AVEN...) : 

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

Serkan

• Like 2

That looks like 2 different aircraft, one with a standard short tail, the other with a ''European'' long/Parachute drogue tail.

With the kits i have i can do either/both, but not the latest version as i don't have the tail art.

Good new thread btw. sorry for taking over the other one.

38 minutes ago, darthspud said:

That looks like 2 different aircraft, one with a standard short tail, the other with a ''European'' long/Parachute drogue tail.

I didn't get what you refer. Are you comparing VISTA and AFTI or two VISTA paint schemes?

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of my first VISTA build in 2005. I used a scrapped model from my junkyard:

2287.jpg

First the old paints have been removed and the spine has been shaped using a hard foam piece:

2288.jpg

To get a smooth surface and fill all the tiny holes of hard foam the spine has been coated with filler/primer and sanded several times:

2291.jpg

2292.jpg

During that build I didn't care the intake shape and simply used the kit's NSI intake...

Once the spine shape and surface quality were fine the model has been painted to base color white:

2295.jpg

In parallel I have made the decal artwork:

2293.jpg

The deep blue areas have been painted and the red stripes were from decal sheet:

2296.jpg

The model was coated with gloss coat and the decals were placed:

2297.jpg

After applying the decals a next layer of gloss coat was applied to seal them.

• Like 5

As the last step the model was coated with satin coat and the payloads have been glued:

2298.jpg

2289.jpg

2290.jpg

In overall I enjoyed this build at that time and she looks still very eye catching although having many known issues. Since that time I have improved my skills, build methods and materials. Therefore I am expecting to build much better and accurate VISTA models in this project.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here are some pictures of my first VISTA build in 2005. I used a scrapped model from my junkyard:

2287.jpg

First the old paints have been removed and the spine has been shaped using a hard foam piece:

2288.jpg

To get a smooth surface and fill all the tiny holes of hard foam the spine has been coated with filler/primer and sanded several times:

2291.jpg

2292.jpg

During that build I didn't care the intake shape and simply used the kit's NSI intake...

Once the spine shape and surface quality were fine the model has been painted to base color white:

2295.jpg

In parallel I have made the decal artwork:

2293.jpg

The deep blue areas have been painted and the red stripes were from decal sheet:

2296.jpg

The model was coated with gloss coat and the decals were placed:

2297.jpg

After applying the decals a next layer of gloss coat was applied to seal them.

Your decals are really perfect. it's a professional job ... 😉 

• Thanks 1

Recently I started building a 1:48 VISTA using an Italeri 848 F-16B/D "Viper". Here are the box art and part sprues:

2301.jpg

2302.jpg

The major modification on this kit was to replace NSI intake with MCID (big mouth) one.

I have assembled a Hasegawa F-16CJ MCID intake and filled all the seam lines to make a master form for cloning. Here is the cloned intake fitted to kit with a litte effort:

2311.jpg

Another modification was necessary on spine at drag chute area. The kit spine was too shallow than the real aircraft. The drag chute housing was adopted from Kinetic Viper:

2310.jpg

2309.jpg

Next step is to finish cockpit area and glue the fuselage halves together.

Serkan

• Like 4