TRUMPETER ■ 1/350 WW2 German Navy Carrier WESER ( ex-Seydlitz ) - plastic injection Commission Artwork shown at Facebook by Randall Wilson

73north

i71IcWR.jpg

This is to give the interesting news that Trumpeter  has commissioned a Box Art for a 1/350 Model Kit of the Planned Conversion of the Launched and almost completed ( Admiral Hipper Class Heavy Cruiser ) for the Seydlitz WW2 Warship Hull to be a German Navy Carrier .

Tonight Randall confirmed to me it will be Trumpeter of China who will produce it as a kit using the Hull of their Hipper Class and other parts of the Graf Zeppelin ( planes etc ) .

Edited by 73north
New information
  • Like 1

• 73north changed the title to TRUMPETER ■ 1/350 WW2 German Navy Carrier WESER ( ex-Seydlitz ) - plastic injection Commission Artwork shown at Facebook by Randall Wilson

I quite understand S-boat55's sentiment but from another perspective, its fascinating to see the planned line of development. I can 'read' a set of drawings better than most but being able to see a ship in 3D gives a much better understanding of what it would have been like..  Having said that, I would prefer a Schleswig Holstein in its WW1 form, in 1/200. I wonder how likely that is ???

Paul

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, 73north said:

i71IcWR.jpg

This is to give the interesting news that Trumpeter  has commissioned a Box Art for a 1/350 Model Kit of the Planned Conversion of the Launched and almost completed ( Admiral Hipper Class Heavy Cruiser ) for the Seydlitz WW2 Warship Hull to be a German Navy Carrier .

Tonight Randall confirmed to me it will be Trumpeter of China who will produce it as a kit using the Hull of their Hipper Class and other parts of the Graf Zeppelin ( planes etc ) .

Beautiful artwork!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Always good that new stuff comes out but this surely falls into the category of "just why?" So many other acrual commissioned ships out there to do, 

It actually kind of makes sense since they did the cruiser which served as the base and the similarly never completed carriers already.

Not my cup of tea, unfortunately. I wish they'd expand on their Cold War ships in 1/350, Like, e.g. Kiev class in 1/350 would be great, IMHO. New, more detailed kits of Tico, Spruance, Iowa, etc. in 1/350 wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by Dudikoff

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I'd much rather a decent 1/350 Audacious class than this what if Nazi rubbish. ( that would leave Trumpeter out)

That is kind of my thoughts, there are so many British, German, French and Italian subject not even touched as of yet, not to mention the Japanese possibilities, e.g the Carriers on offer by the likes of hasegawa and fujimi are extortionately expensive, were trumpeter to release their own versions in 1/350 for a more sensible price I expect they would sell like hot cakes and then what of their 1/350 Rodney and Nelson long since promised but yet to appear.........

I suppose to be fair there is a finite number of ships/classes at the end of the day to chose from but still, 

• Like 3

I guess it was inevitable with all "paper panzers" and "Luftwaffe 46" planes that has been released. Why not a non existing ship? On the bright side, it proves that the hobby isn't dead. But it isn't a kit I'll buy unless I can use it as a base for a conversion for something.

• Like 3

The Graf Zeppelin and the Seydlitz ( Carrier Weser ) are already featured in WoWS - I think the new ‘ German carrier line ‘ has had an impact -

this will be far superior to the HP Models resin 1/700 Kit .

I think the reason we have no Argus , Eagle , Hermes , Courageous Glorious or Furious in 1/350 scale is that the vast majority of the public have never heard of them , and only Flyhawk / Aoshima made the 1/700 injected kit of the Hermes and Eagle if my memory is correct ..

its why the 1/350 WW2 Carrier Ark Royal was made ( name recognition and it was famous ) 

for the record - I have 2 original old wartime small photos of the Seylitz virtually complete in the BremenShipyard in 1941 or 1942  ( her fighting mast looks like HMS Repulse with the scaffolding ) and one of her hull after launch in 1939 ...

also Very Fire have made the Taiho in 1/350 and that’s affordable 🕰🇯🇵

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

I'd find it interesting what the life expectancy of one of these things had old Adolf done something with them other than talk about it.

The Royal Navy practically invented the Aircraft Carrier and it took them quite a bit longer than a few years to learn how to operate them effectively.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Dont really get all the complaining over the choice of subject.

If people aren't interested, then just move on. Everybody complains (me included) because their pet subject isn't being made.

This "what if Nazi rubbish" (to quote a previous post) is based on a real, existent design is it not?

So, what's the problem?

It's surely every bit as valid a choice as an Imperial Star Destroyer , TIE fighter or Constitution Class star ship. All of which might be deemed "what if Sci Fi rubbish"! And yet, there seem to be few complaints when such fantasy models are produced.

Would ship modellers be as disappointed  if Trumpeter produced, for example, a 1/350 Mackensen Class Battlecruiser which (like Seydlitz) were also never completed?

There is clearly a decent market for a kit like this or, Trumpeter would not be making it.

I like this sort if subject and, I'm genuinely sorry if others are disappointed.

John

Partially because Trumpeter have announced various other ship kits over the years that have so far failed to appear and some would like to see those appear before they push these Cancelled Projects to the front of the queue.  They now do 3 German Aircraft Carriers from WW2 none of which were ever completed, yet have only done 1 Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier of the 12 carriers that took an active part in WW2.

• Like 5

One thing to consider is they also have the sales numbers so they can get some rough idea on which subjects are expected to sell better. Also, since this one is almost a kit bash of other kits they've already released, it's not like they spent a huge sum on tooling a ship few have heard of.

I'd expect the German carriers were reasonably popular, if for nothing else, because no-one made them before. Plus, I'd wager there's a certain appeal to German what-if subjects which might have changed the course of war or something (obviously not, but it lets the imagination run loose) and Germans had plenty of these.

• Like 1

Very true but they are things from movies and there is a large sub culture of Star Trek and Star Wars but I'm not sure that this carrier has a very large appeal. I find most ship builders very serious and I'm not sure that they will consider building a "paper ship". I know that there were kits of the Graf Zeppelin but I wonder how well they sold. At least it was finished to something that looked like an carrier but as I understand it the Weser became not more than a hull. 

Any new kits that are released are welcome. If there is something that I might build I buy it if not I don't. But I'm wondering if Trumpeter is barking up the wrong tree with this one. I have difficult to see which target group there is for it. But Trunpeter clearly thinks that there is a market for it and I hope there are. Then the profit of it will make another kit that I might be interested in.

I am far from all "what if" topics in mine hobby. I am devoted to idea of reproducing model in all reasonable possible details, so non existing machines with non-existing detail are not my story. However I can understand, that some constructions, never had been done can materialize only as a model and if someone like to memorize it is some way - it is his thing. I also believe, that companies do the studies on market, which subject can meet a market positive response, so the effort done to produce model will bring profit. However all companies (not only kit makers) can also create new market for certain product. And this is a point where I became a bit angry with all Luftwaffe 46/paper tanks and never existing Nazi aircraft carriers like that. I suspect that some people behind it are trying to send a message:  "look how mighty they were, maybe they were not that bad as you have been told in school?"  And this is why I do not like all this stuff. I would not be angry when there will be equally present on market models of never done constructions fro US, UK, France, Poland, Czech etc... But nobody is creating a market like that, and still will not, because never materialized such construction of democratic world will be still inside world as it is. Those Nazi "fantastic projects" suggests, that world history might have been different... For me it is not good perspective.

Regards

J-W  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JWM said:

look how mighty they were,

That's an interesting detail of your larger argument. It's made me consider whether modellers generally prefer the 'mighty' side of any conflict? The Germans in WWII Europe, America in the Pacific, America again in Vietnam, The coalition in the Gulf? Mighty machines like the Tiger tank, Phantom, Yamato, may also sell better than Valentines, Mohawks, and minesweepers. 

Perhaps the answer lies in our collective psychological make up? (Here I'm going to make some very sweeping generalisations based on my own character and on the modellers that I've met over my lifetime. This is a speculative, subjective and tentative question for consideration , not even an argument as such.) I'm a lil' bit geeky, somewhere on that old autistic spectrum, I am not one of those charismatic individuals who were 'popular' in high school. I got bullied a bit and always wished that I was mightier. In fact I distinctly remember in the infant's school, fantasising about flying a Spitfire to school and chasing the big kids away with it. How sweet. That was in the fifties when Spitfires were a very recent symbol of mightiness and we all spent time 'being one' in the playground, despite having no idea what a Spitfire actually was. I've met many modellers with similar stories of social difficulties. 

On the bench though, we are in charge. We are the creators of our armies, navies and air forces. We have made it through those awkward years and now we have the cash and time to build our mighty machines and in our imaginations, win our wars! We are mighty! Still sweet though.

I don't think the preponderance of huge 'nazi what ifs' and Imperial Japanese battleships means that we are nascent neo-nazis, or indeed that the great popularity of the Phantom suggests that we are fervent supporters of democracy. I think politics have relatively little to do with it, compared to psychology. I have always found modellers to be generally good-hearted people. Isn't it simply that our choice of toys is still influenced by the powerlessness that every kid feels at some time or other? 

I just thought I'd run that thought up the flagpole to see who salutes. Please don't set fire to it or chop the pole down. 🙂

• Like 1

Bertie makes an interesting point, however I simply don't see the problem with models of uncompleted ships, they were after all proposed, designed and well on the way to completion.

My main interest is German gliders and Luftwaffe jets. At one point I began to collect models of all German project aircraft, until my 'education' revealed that many were no more than basic design studies to compare various, often radical, configurations. Since then, I have restricted my self to types for which detail design was largely completed and/or construction started.  Then again I have an interest in the technical development of these types, not 'just' as models.

Personally, I think that any new aircraft, ship, tank, car, fantasy model - is to be welcomed, as it will make someones day, even if it leaves me cold.

The only thing I really hate are kits which are sold as examples of unbuilt Luftwaffe projects but which are completely invented by the kit manufacturers. Discussions at Telford show that a surprising number of folk believe/assume these must be based on fact as a kit exists.

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...