Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter FGA9 79 Sqd

5 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks MickπŸ‘

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

All okay now, beautiful Hunter. Looks very realistic how you've done it, one to be proud of πŸ‘

Thanks very much Alan much appreciated

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Simon - can you advised if the 79 Sqdn Hunters ever flew with the four under wing fuel tanks - I can only find photos of them with the tanks on the inner pylons?

Also what are the red fittings on the pylons?

Thanks

CJP

Hi CJP

Β 

In the years I worked on them I only ever saw 4 drop tanks, 230gal on the inner pylons and 100gal on the outer pylons once and that was because the aircraft were going on exercise overseas.Β  The outer pylons were normally used for the Matra SNEB rocket launchers

Β 

The red on the pylons is just a danger warning.Β  If the pilot had to jettison them it was done by explosives, not sure, but similar to those on the ejection seat.

Β 

Hope this helps

Β 

Thanks againΒ 

Β 

SiΒ 

2 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Nice job - I recall on TMT1 at Scampton being given an asbestos mitt and told 'when the aircraft starts it WILL catch fire' - to a Jag man that was more than a little disturbing !

Thanks JagRigger much appreciated.

Β 

9 times out of 10 there were flames.Β  On one occasion they were aΒ more than normal, after flapping the asbestos mitt around for what felt like a lifetime they were not going out.Β  I remember coming out from under the aircraft seeing the fire extinguisher and thinking it may as well have been a teapot.Β  Then panic and forgetting the drill I leapt up the ladder and told the pilot to get out, its on fire (needless to say there were a lot stronger words mixed up in that).Β  Pilot very calmly shut down the engine, did his bits and pieces and calmly got out.Β  In the meantime I had gone back under and there were still flames (why I did this I dont know, by that time I should have been the other end of the airfield)

Β 

Typically by the time the fire crews turned up it had all gone out.Β  The pilot (fortunately one of the nicer ones) approached me and said "in future try to remember your drill" then patted me on the shoulder and said well done.Β  Aircraft was grounded for over a week but I never did find out what, how or why.

Β 

Si

• Like 2

Well Si that is absolutely superb.

Β 

You kept moaning a lot, but you do, because you are in pursuit of perfection.

Β 

That old mate is Master Class, bees knees stuff. Not saying any more than that

as you will become saintly 🀣..

Β 

Well done SI.

Β 

What Si has not told you, probably tell me off now, is that he was crunched in his

car by another car & suffered very serious back injury. But as you can see even with

the pain that has not stopped him. Very well done Si an inspiration to others with difficulties.

Β 

The virtue beyond all others. determination, it guaranties all the others.

Β 

Laurie

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Interesting about the lightning, another favourite of mine.Β  You have said it in the present tense are there still some flying in the UK?Β  I thought that to see one flying again you would have to go to South Africa

We don’t fly ours but we have rebuilt oursΒ from a giant airfix kit of parts to a ground engine running condition.Β 
spacer.png

Single engine test run.Β 
https://i.imgur.com/LQjZsQB.mp4

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Well Si that is absolutely superb.

Β 

You kept moaning a lot, but you do, because you are in pursuit of perfection.

Β 

That old mate is Master Class, bees knees stuff. Not saying any more than that

as you will become saintly 🀣..

Β 

Well done SI.

Β 

What Si has not told you, probably tell me off now, is that he was crunched in his

car by another car & suffered very serious back injury. But as you can see even with

the pain that has not stopped him. Very well done Si an inspiration to others with difficulties.

Β 

The virtue beyond all others. determination, it guaranties all the others.

Β 

Laurie

Β 

Β 

Thank you Laurie for your kind words. I have to say that my problems would have been a lot worse if it were not for the very kind people like you. I thank so much you from the bottom of my heart.

Β 

SiΒ 

30 minutes ago, aerotechi said:

We don’t fly ours but we have rebuilt oursΒ from a giant airfix kit of parts to a ground engine running condition.Β 
spacer.png

Single engine test run.Β 

Superb superb superb, what a beauty. Keep up the great work aerotechi and your colleagues. Need to keep these wonderful aircraft in the limelight for everyone to enjoy. There is something special about those RR Avon's. Was fantastic with one with the  Hunter let alone two on the EEL😱

Β 

Si

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Superb superb superb, what a beauty. Keep up the great work aerotechi and your colleagues. Need to keep these wonderful aircraft in the limelight for everyone to enjoy. There is something special about those RR Avon's. Was fantastic with one with the  Hunter let alone two on the EEL😱

Β 

Si

Thanks Si, if you’re near Gatwick on a weekend drop in and see the museum. And next time we run the Shack or Lightning I’ll have to post it here for people.

32 minutes ago, aerotechi said:

Thanks Si, if you’re near Gatwick on a weekend drop in and see the museum. And next time we run the Shack or Lightning I’ll have to post it here for people.

Please do post aerotechi. I miss the sound, smell etc of it allπŸ‘πŸ‘

• Thanks 1

Well it looks pretty good to me Simon. I too have a couple of these and you may well have inspired me to build one soon! Thanks for the info on your experiences too - adds a little more interest for sure.

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Malcolm

Β 

Your Hunter looks very much like the well-used (misused or abused) examples illustrated in the old LinewrightsΒ AeroguideΒ on the Hunter, some of which were in 79 Squadron's colours; I think you've caught the essence of them beautifully.

Β 

Β  There was a lovely image of XG254 over the Bristol Channel in the earlier gloss finish with red/white/blue roundels in a late 70s edition ofΒ Aircraft IllustratedΒ which I attempted to depict using the old FROG FGA. 9 and part of a butchered Modeldecal sheet with considerably less success than you've had with this kit, issues notwithstanding.Β  I think I need to go.out and find a Revell FGA. 9 that's not being asked silly money for and try again.

Β 

Thanks also for your reminiscences, they help bring your subject even further to life.

19 hours ago, Baldy said:

Well it looks pretty good to me Simon. I too have a couple of these and you may well have inspired me to build one soon! Thanks for the info on your experiences too - adds a little more interest for sure.

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Malcolm

Β 

Thank you Malcolm much appreciated

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Your Hunter looks very much like the well-used (misused or abused) examples illustrated in the old LinewrightsΒ AeroguideΒ on the Hunter, some of which were in 79 Squadron's colours; I think you've caught the essence of them beautifully.

Β 

Β  There was a lovely image of XG254 over the Bristol Channel in the earlier gloss finish with red/white/blue roundels in a late 70s edition ofΒ Aircraft IllustratedΒ which I attempted to depict using the old FROG FGA. 9 and part of a butchered Modeldecal sheet with considerably less success than you've had with this kit, issues notwithstanding.Β  I think I need to go.out and find a Revell FGA. 9 that's not being asked silly money for and try again.

Β 

Thanks also for your reminiscences, they help bring your subject even further to life.

Thank you Steve much appreciated. If you can get one at a good price go for it, it's a lovely model and a pleasure to build.

Β 

SiΒ 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well yes, I can see one or two things where the kit fought back but that's more than made up for by the personal reminiscences. Thank for sharing the model and your story.

Thank you Bertie Psmith much appreciated πŸ‘

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

Β 

Β 

Thank you very much sterver219 much appreciated.

I don't know what they are going for nowadays but if you can get hold of one they are a fantastic kitΒ  and a pleasure to build

Β 

Si

On 8/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, aerotechi said:

spacer.png

Single engine test run.Β 

My friend Alan Smyth used to work on the Saudi Lightnings. He told me they wore out tyres every few flights.Β 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, noelh said:

My friend Alan Smyth used to work on the Saudi Lightnings. He told me they wore out tyres every few flights.Β 

Hi noelhΒ 

It does not surprise me at all. I think it's a beautiful aircraft but I know that there are folks out there that would not agree.

Β 

The thing that really impresses me is, I think they call it the power climb, incredible.

My brother was in the army (RAOC) and attached to the RAF in Germany. Cant recall if it was Wildenrath or Laabruch. He has a very amusing story of the Lightning which along with another story on my time with the Hunter which I will post tomorrow at some time if folks are interested?

Β 

Take careΒ 

Β 

SiΒ 

• Like 2