Ever get the feeling you're in the wrong line of work?

RobL

One of my other numerous hobbies is fly-fishing.

About 28yrs ago, I stumbled into a very casual job as a fly-fishing guide for a local farm-stay, and have kept guiding on a very part-time basis ever since, including guiding at other locations which I had to find for myself.  Mostly just weekend work.

I contemplated giving up my 'real job' to guide full-time, but after some quick calculations realised working as a full-time fly fishing guide would not pay the bills.

Guiding can be enjoyable (when the fish and weather are playing ball), and terribly depressing/frustrating (when the fish and weather are not playing ball, or the client keeps crucifying perfect fish-catching chances).  The best days are when the client bags at least one fish in the first hour, then the pressure is off.  The worst days are when you reach hour 7 of 8 hours of guiding, the client hasn't even looked like getting a fish, and you know they are extremely unlikely to.  When they are paying $550/day, that is a tough gig.  As other have said, things change when a hobby becomes a job.

Having said that, the only time I used a guide myself (in NZ) I paid $875 for the day, only hooked one fish (a big one) and lost it.

I now work with another guide, Covid has entirely killed the business for now, so luckily we both have other 'real jobs' (me 4 days/week, he 5 days).

I've been around 'business people' all my life through my real job & the biggest mistakes I see new business operators make is over-capitalising from the start, taking on too much debt & starting without a single client.  Start the new venture on a smaller basis & get some customers first before you ditch your other source(s) of income.  I still use a 28 year old Hilux as my guiding vehicle.  Thought about upgrading it many times, but I just can't justify it with the small amount of guiding I do.  In contrast, my colleague went out and spent $48,000 on a brand new 4WD when he joined me!  Luckily he could afford it on his day job salary.

And be aware people will burn you.  After 27 years of guiding and loyalty for that original farm stay, she decided we were getting too much money & she not enough (she did absolutely nothing except own the farm & stream which she inherited anyway, we'd increased our price once in 27yrs!).  So she sneakily got me to guide her new man, then ditched us and got him to take over the guiding! Which is laughable as one day of guided fishing does not make you a guide.  But at least we are shod of her.  But that's business.

• Like 1

Although now retired, after reading the text on the Beeb this morning, I think that I should have been a professional footballer. According to the story, Chelsea are having second thoughts about signing some Norwegian player because his wages would be......wait for it......£825,000 per week!! Is there any wonder why I no longer have an interest in a sport which I used to love. Greed rules OK!

John.

• Like 1