Special Hobby Mirage F.1AZ Armée de l'air Gabonaise 1/72 - 26oct21 decalled (almost) and resting for a while :)

RidgeRunner

At the risk of over stretching myself, and realising that I haven’t even attempted to start the Vanneau, I am declaring this second build as a further entry in this GB. It will be Special Hobby’s Mirage F.1AZ as operated by the Gabon Air Force. It will be a further member of my Gabonese collection. Aside from the Starfighter I reckon the F.1 was/is the best looking Cold War fighter ever!

I have amassed a wealth of aftermarket, including the Decal set from LF which, it has to be said, isn’t great :(. 

I will be back to this very soon

Martin 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Dennis. This will have to be a placeholder for some while until I get my act together and finish current projects. Nevertheless I am intent on running this one as well as the Vanneau as I value the support and guidance of the group.

Martin

As a taster for those unaware of this fleet of Mirages here is a shot of one in service and another of the box and AM. Mine will be loaded with a centreline tank only. Looking at photos of an open day in Gabon, few weapons seem to have been used in Gabon. The decal sheet might need a review and redraw as it is missing some items. For example, these machines carried the SAAF "last two" above the intakes and this is not on the sheet. Another challege might be the correct stencilling. There's plenty of bedtime research there! I'll be calling on Mirage experts along the way! 

IMG_8379

BM TR-KMM

Credit: public domain online 

Martin

• Like 8

• RidgeRunner changed the title to I might be getting ahead of myself - Mirage F.1AZ
57 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

For example, these machines carried the SAAF "last two" above the intakes and this is not on the sheet.

Decals 8 and 9 are those for AZ 241, but surprisingly, those for 244 are missing... 😕

LFM-C7250_L.JPG

The both security decals with their yellow arrow on the both sides of the canopy are also missing although they are different from those of South African version. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Decals 8 and 9 are those for AZ 241, but surprisingly, those for 244 are missing... 😕

LFM-C7250_L.JPG

The both security decals with their yellow arrow on the both sides of the canopy are also missing although they are different from those of South African version. 

Yes, and I dont think the set has been thought through enough. The nosewheel door serials (SAAF) are also missing! The roundels and flag are poor too. If I can get the font (French?) I will get a redraw done and a professional print by Arctic.

Martin

Right, so I have targetted "TR-KMN/239" as this seems to be the most represented machine online  and there are a number of images of her at an Open Day in Libreville. I will redraw the numerical serial and lettered TR- code. The lettering looks close to RCN font although "Myriad" font seems to bring up something very close too. More research to do yet!

Martin

Yes, thank you, although I sourced them from another site. This one is perfectand, in fact, I might now model TR-KMP/217 as there is a plan view and the camouflage pattern. :) It will also be a second TR-KMP for me because that iwas the registration of the AD-4N of the FAP that I built a while back.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073556-le-grand-sky-de-sarcife-gabonese-hasegawasword-ad-4n-skyraider-172/

Martin

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I might now model TR-KMP/217 as there is a plan view and the camouflage pattern.

If I look at well, TR-KMP uses Arial bold font, digits on the air intake use the same font used on the flank, on the contrary of 236 illustrated on the same link... Arial bold seems to be also used on the FLG door.
Specific Gabonese markings are white Rescue/Secours arrow with the same both langages (white too) above (English) and below (French) the canopy safety handle and the "ejection seat" red triangle, and obviously, roundel and flag.

The other markings seem to be the kept South African ones.

What do you think of that ? 🤔

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If I look at well, TR-KMP uses Arial bold font, digits on the air intake use the same font used on the flank, on the contrary of 236 illustrated on the same link... Arial bold seems to be also used on the FLG door.
Specific Gabonese markings are white Rescue/Secours arrow with the same both langages (white too) above (English) and below (French) the canopy safety handle and the "ejection seat" red triangle, and obviously, roundel and flag.

The other markings seem to be the kept South African ones.

What do you think of that ? 🤔

Wow! thanks , mate :) I had not considered Arial! I will try it :). I saw the Secours arrow and I am sure that this can be simply drawn and printed. 

Martin

I feel sure now that I will have a spare decal set available for anyone who wants it, that includes the F.1AZ nose conversion resin. I'll know for sure once I get building!

Martin

• RidgeRunner changed the title to I might be getting ahead of myself! - Special Hobby Mirage F.1AZ "217" Armée de l'air Gabonaise - 1/72

Nice one Martin, I'd really like to see you do this AND the Vanneau but I'm guessing something may have to give (which is why I've deliberately not over extended myself for this GB).

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Nice one Martin, I'd really like to see you do this AND the Vanneau but I'm guessing something may have to give (which is why I've deliberately not over extended myself for this GB).

Good luck with it.

I’m tempted to start the Mirage first - because I’m currently excited by it -because I can then get my head around doing my first all-resin build. Well, that’s my excuse ;). I do have until November I guess!! ;)

Martin

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Oooh, nice one. Consider my chair pulled up and beer opened, sir! 

Cheers,

Andre

Absolutely! I hope I can match your expectation with a good build :)

• Like 1

A warning! The LF Decal set, as I suspected, is inaccurate. I have checked the model against photos of the real aircraft and then matched these dimensions against the LF set. The results are:

Correct            LF

Roundel                   8mm dia         8mm dia

Flag                          9.5mm W        8mm W

Serial (217)               2.5mm H         2.5mm H

Last two (intake)       4.2mm H         4mm H

Last two (nwd)         1mm W           2.5mm W (note they also have the wrong format)

TR-KMP                    12mm W         9.8mm W

I have also checked against the SH decal sheet and my measurements, where common, match the above "correct" numbers. It looks like I have wasted around £12! plus the cost of a reprint! It makes me wonder about the other LF Mirage F.1 SAAF set!

Martin

• RidgeRunner changed the title to I might be getting ahead of myself! - Special Hobby Mirage F.1AZ "TR-KMP" Armée de l'air Gabonaise - 1/72

:) Despite having not started the build I have already had help from @Giorgio N, @eclipse and Arctic Decals in getting a replacement set drawn and printed :), for which I am very grateful. Their skills are beyond nine.

My fingers are now itching to get started! :)

Martin

• Like 1