Blackburn Firebrand. TF Mk.5

Hello All

Just finished this one, literally hot and still wet from the shed (the kit, not me). Cracking kit to make, out of the box other than glue and paint. The resin detail and the vac form canopy are some of the best examples I’ve ever seen. Alas none of you will get to see the cockpit detail as it’s below the tiny cockpit aperture and is not visible. I did manage to get the photo etch torpedo propeller blades onto the torpedo, but I did need to lie down afterwards!

It’s finished as an aircraft operated at RNAS Lee on Solent in the fifties. As usual I used Xtra Color paints and varnish with a little weathering and a Flory wash.

Hope you like it.

The kit comes with 2 canopies so I've a spare if anyone needs/wants one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't know of any other aircraft that tilts the torpedo to accommodate take off. Quite an innovative idea I feel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png Yes, there is a prop blade on the end of my finger

All 8 in place (ish)    spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 55

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments.

11 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

A beast of an aircraft

6 hours ago, F-32 said:

That's a lovely big old beasty!

3 hours ago, Blackmike said:

Well done, Pete - you’ve made a lovely model of the beast!

As there are several references to Beast I'm assuming that was the Navy nickname of the Firebrand?

11 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments.

As there are several references to Beast I'm assuming that was the Navy nickname of the Firebrand?

I don't think it had that nickname, she's just not as elegant or petite looking as a Spitfire or Mustang or suchlike 😁

Davey.

• Like 1

Nice build, I fancy the TF4 in earlier scheme that was photographed in colour in 1945? I understand Valom do a boxing that might suit. 

The Rareplanes Mk5 was my second vacform kit I finished. Built it in the Nurses Home at St James's in Leeds when I had just qualified as a registered nurse. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Nice build, I fancy the TF4 in earlier scheme that was photographed in colour in 1945? I understand Valom do a boxing that might suit.

Thanks. There are a couple of TFMk4s by Valom on a well known auction site at the moment, and there is a decal sheet by mark 1 that covers lots of the earlier schemes in dark sea grey and slate grey, not sure if its still available though. Fill your boots😁

• Thanks 1

Lovely job Pete! I have always been fascinated by this giant beast and you have done it proud! Would love a kit in my favoured scale 1/48 - but it would be BIG!!!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1